Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Ford Edge Ecoboost 2.0

Got a chance to drive a base FWD 2.0 Ecoboost Edge.

Let me just sum it quick. It keeps all the size, space, driving position plusses that makes the Edge popular.

The new interior is light years more attractive, has way better quality, and is more functional. The new steering wheel has great layout with its buttons to control nearly everything on the vehicle.

The Edge drives quieter and tighter now. Not any more sporty, but it does feel lots less junky than the first gen.

Really this review is based on the engine......people say it's underpowered in the Explorer etc.

Here is what i found........seems like a wee bit underpowered, but the power delivery is liquid smooth and the engine is smooth top to bottom. From a dead stop, the take off is a lot better than roll on. In fact, what is strange is that there is a little turbo lag (that doesn't really feel like turbo lag per 'se) and a delay in tranny aggressiveness....that it almost feels CVT like in some ways. Floor the gas in the roll on condition, and the rpm climbs to 4 or 5 thousand rpm and it seems like there is overall wait for the acceleration to kick in. There isn't really any engine drone....it's liquid smooth. And cabin noise is very quiet. It just has a power delivery like you may have sampled on a lot of small displacement Euro cars. The rpm goes up, no drama, the engine is smooth, there are just no bursts in power. Then, likewise, you are cruising 70-80 mph without noticing. And it's totally smooth.

As a daily driver with a lot of stoplights and if you like acceleration, you'd want to stick with the v6. But I could see where for many folks this engine would be adequate in power and a delight in running characeteristics.

If you never saw a turbo badge, you'd have NO idea it was a turbo underhood.

The package of the Edge is winning. Size, space, driving position, interior ambience.......only the slight pokiness of the ecoboost knocks it off the A perch (and most folks won't care). B+. If the Ecoboost was a 2.3 and had another 30hp/tq I think it would be a solid A.

2.3 AWD ecoboost Edge with 300 pounds less would be perfect.

Cool storage space in front of the front face of the console is clever (new Fusion will have also).

Edited by regfootball

Edge remains an extremely popular package, and now is so much more refined than the 1st gen. Except for the electronics that can still be balky at times, seems to be doing well and I almost see more 2011+ models than the older now.

The EcoBoost 2.0L is a great powertrain, except for having to work hard enough that the real fuel economy isn't that much better than the V6. Slab sided bathtub looks and 70's esque terribly mushy seats with no support aside (my 2 big peeves from the 1st gen carried right over), nice ride. When considering my CX-9 before I bought, I tried the new for 2011 Edge at work several times and liked, but could never get comfortable and the seats reminded me of a 90's Aerostar.

I would still pick the CX-9, etc. over it however, in the end, for a more polished look, package and drive, even with lower fuel economy and older tech gizmos. Hope the next round of this with updated powertrains competes on mileage.

Wonder how many Ecoboost Edge and Explorers Ford is selling? The F-150 took off, and dealers are ordering these crossovers so equipped, but not sure of published percentages.

Edited by caddycruiser

My draw back with the edge is the external Jelly Bean bland look. Internal is the plastic flimsy vents. From what I have seen of the new fords myself, they have come up in interior materials, yet still have many shortcuts showing and the vents are one big shortcoming I think.

interior quality on the new ones is very excellent. all solid. this one did not have sync. the new seats are nicely shaped and hold you well. Everything is 4x more premium than the original edge.

the basic packaging of the edge is spot on. it's too heavy and i am tired of it's looks actually. i still think when for puts a 2.3 ecoboost in the mustang, putting it in the taurus and edge and stuff is the way to go also.

the basic packaging of the edge is spot on. it's too heavy and i am tired of it's looks actually.

Last evening I was beside a dark blue base model at a light. With the old base wheels (carryover from 2007), black plastic door handles and basic blob shape with nothing fresh except the grille, lights and some rear treatment, you have to look close to spot that there's anything fresh. The package & size is here, but the next re-do needs to be totally re-shaped, and gain character. It's a bland weird blob now, and when a base model, looks like 2006 driving down the road.

i know which wheels you are talking about. we had an edge right next to it with those! the one i drove was exactly that dark blue, had a little bit nicer wheels, but they were still dwarfed in the body. black door handles on the edge are nasty to look at.

back in late 08 in the heat of the economic meltdown when i was turning in my 500 lease i had gotten an edge price quote for a base model with those wheels and black door handles. the price literally was like 20,500.....but i could in no way bring myself to live with the cheap wheels and black handles.

Edited by regfootball

Guest hyperv6

I like the Edge as it has a lot to offer. But the price is a deal killer and the handling is not solid as the Nox or Terrain.

The main thing is price as if you add many options it climbs way too fast and the quality is better but not worth the price difference. The Explorer is a better value for the dollar spent.

I wanted to really buy one of these but I just could not do it at the price point for what you get. My Terrain has all the options and was $10,000 less. To be honest the GMC is on the Edge of over priced too but was a better option.

• 3 months later...

The plain jelly bean bland look was always a let down with the Edge. Worse the Lincoln version uses the same body and side look but with Lincoln specific front and rear treatment or not nearly enough to distinguish it from the less expensive Ford. Then there is the price made worse by charging extra for the less powerful Ecoboost which really could use a displacement boost it'self up to 2.3 liters or so to make this heavy rig move more capably. My favorite in this category is the 2013 Equinox with the 3.6 and trick rear seat.