Biggest one day stock drop due to auto Fire in Seattle Suburb

David

Shares of Tesla stock dropped today due to a video showing a tesla on highway 167 in south seattle catching on fire after hitting some steel in the road. Leaving one to wonder just how easy is it for these electric auto's to catch on fire and possibly kill someone.

The incident happened at approximately 8am and was posted on WSDOT Cam web site and local news. It soon became the talk of the office in regards to how safe are these auto's and should they be allowed to be on the road?

Seattle Times had the following story.

http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2021951388_teslastockxml.html?syndication=rss

post-12-0-35453300-1380773669_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-75994600-1380773617_thumb.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/embed/q0kjI08n4fg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0kjI08n4fg&feature=player_embedded

Leaving one to wonder just how easy is it for these electric auto's to catch on fire and possibly kill someone.

That's cute. Because vehicles carrying a payload of highly flammable fluids never catch fire.

The issue is due to the fact that a high number of fires are happening to a type of car that makes up a small percentage of the number of cars on the road.

Also, for the record, gasoline is only highly flammable when its a vapor.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Leaving one to wonder just how easy is it for these electric auto's to catch on fire and possibly kill someone.

That's cute. Because vehicles carrying a payload of highly flammable fluids never catch fire.

The issue is due to the fact that a high number of fires are happening to a type of car that makes up a small percentage of the number of cars on the road.

It's not a high number. An average of 152,000 vehicle fires occur each year.

Collisions and overturns were factors in only 4% of highway vehicle fires, but these incidents accounted for three of every five (60%) automobile fire deaths.

*https://www.nfpa.org/safety-information/for-consumers/vehicles

So that's about 6080 vehicles per year that catch fire due to accident. One or two of those is an electric.

So by my calculation, the answer is OH $h! WHY DO WE DRIVE GAS CARS WE'RE GONNA DIE WTFWTFTWTF

Edited by FAPTurbo
  • Agree 1

The shrill deflection and attempt at lame humor while trying to suppress a legitimate news story which had a very real affect on Tesla as a company is so very predictable. Belittling dfelt for posting it and belittling his involvement in CNG is also totally uncalled for. The people responsible need to refrain from this type of behaviour in the future, or risk being called out again and again.

• Disagree 5

Don't even get started on Ferrari 458's catching fire.

Could there be a problem with the S? That's entirely possible, does it mean every electric car ever made before, now, or since is a fireball waiting to happen? No, but that's what the haters would love everyone to think while conveniently ignoring the very real danger that lives in a tank in their car. This is like that frenzy over the Volt because one caught fire several weeks after being crash tested. People went crazy wondering if BATTERIZ R T3H SAIF?! (while browsing this news from their battery powered mobile devices). Does it mean THE END IS NIGH for Tesla because of one fire? It didn't kill Ford that one time. Or that other time. They are no doubt looking into the cause of the fire as we speak.

• Agree 3

The shrill deflection and attempt at lame humor while trying to suppress a legitimate news story which had a very real affect on Tesla as a company is so very predictable. Belittling dfelt for posting it and belittling his involvement in CNG is also totally uncalled for. The people responsible need to refrain from this type of behaviour in the future, or risk being called out again and again.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!! LET'S ALL JUST HAVE A SHORT HISTORY LESSON ON SHRILLNESS ON C&G!!

GM News: GM's CEO: Cadillac Will Take On Tesla

He's a dope. Tesla is a fringe product. Full electrics will be fringe products for decades to come.

GM News: General Motors CEO Creates Team To Study Tesla

Akerson needs sacked. What a dope.

Tesla wants have a self driving car built in 3 years

More reason to hate.

Edited by FAPTurbo

Let's not forget Fisker!

Fisker Furloughs Workers, Hires A Bankruptcy Law Firm

My lips are so tired of playing Taps for Finkster. Just die, already! :neenerneener:

Not Again...

I think we now have more fireball Fiskers than we had pyrotechnical Pintos. And apparently it is a trait shared by all electric cars. Imagine the death and destruction if these junkers were in customers' garages in the flood zone, instead of at the port. Unsafe At Any Speed.

Fisker Hires A Consulting Company To Help Conserve Cash

...and the much-deserved descent into hell continues...

This guy said it best:

Please just admit your problem is with the powertrain. If this had a 9-bajllion horsepower V8 you would be gushing over it.

LOL!

I have been spending a lot of time in the Bay Area and if you think this is going to hurt tesla or that tesla is a fad you are wrong. On a daily basis I would see 5-10 of these cars. It is the perfect car for luxury buyers. People who can afford multiple cars and enjoy the new cool and tech in cars.

I promise you every luxury car dealer from San Francisco to San Jose wishes they had a car like this to sell.

• Agree 1

Latest story on the fire here in Seattle of this Tesla is an interesting read. Wish I had picked up stock at $35 a share at the start of the year. I might not be a fan of electric auto's but I do like good stock rise and right now even with the pull back it still has a 400% gain for the year. :P

Tesla fire shows electrics face safety challenges

http://www.king5.com/news/business/Tesla-shares-fall-further-on-Model-S-fire-226331891.html

Thanks Ocnblu, some just do not understand how safe CNG is as a cheap alternative fuel step away from regular gas.

Back on subject,

It will be interesting to see how GM and other companies deal with this press and how they will change design to add further protection to the battery pack. Plus the need to educate firedepartments on how to fight these fires. Sadly in the news last night a fire department in Eastern washington said that since not all fire departments have dry chemical to extinguish these specialty fire that they would have to consider restricting sales of them in their little town till they could afford proper training and materials.

I had to shake my head at that as it shows much ignorance about the auto's.

Jeez man, everyone has to take the good with the bad. Life is not all sweetness and light. "GM's Biggest Fans and Toughest Critics", does anyone remember that?

Yeah, but you have an irrational hatred of America's newest car company..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 2

Threads like these remind me why I rarely post here.

Anyhow, my folks have had their Model S for two months and 3,000 miles now, and they're loving every minute of it.

It's the best car I've ever driven, period.

Yes, the IRRATIONAL hatred, fear mongering, and wishing for select Domestic automakers to die just because they are trying something different annoys me too... and I own the place.

• Agree 2

Exactly. I hate America. And you're looking down on us.

Yikes, how sad. A Solstice dies in an electrical fire.

I did criticize the Fisker for its home-built aura, in addition to its other failings.

Someone has to take up a contrary opinion on these, and voice it, otherwise it would become fanboi central in here.

I don't really care that much. I'm bored. I'm a car enthusiast of a certain mindset and I am not going to change my opinion on electrification. That being said, I do not have to come into every thread and say so.

This thread started out legitimately. It was not a made-up story... the fire, or the drop in stock price. dfelt took a pounding unnecessarily for SIMPLY POSTING IT. I will not apologize for sticking up for him. He linked it, he DIDN'T WRITE IT.

Edited by ocnblu
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Contrary opinions are fine. Don't like Tesla or Fisker all day all night... but don't pretend that a freak accident that causes a car fire is an event unique to Electric vehicles. There have been more CRV fires than there have been fires of all EV models combined.

It was a freak accident, nothing more. That piece of steel could have just as easily punctured a gas tank or CNG tank.

So we've been told. Based on the photos of the burning car in question, one cell takes up the whole front end of the car, apparently.

People are going to question new technology. That is a fact of life. Those who blindly embrace it are just as wrong as those who question it.

In this thread, all I did was defend dfelt for the childish lambasting he was taking simply for linking to a legitimate news story that had a very real effect on Tesla as a company. The stock price could not have dropped the way it did if dfelt and myself were the only people who think the way we do. So cool your jets and deal with the circumstances outside of our C&G world.

Edited by ocnblu

So we've been told. Based on the photos of the burning car in question, one cell takes up the whole front end of the car, apparently.

People are going to question new technology. That is a fact of life. Those who blindly embrace it are just as wrong as those who question it.

So the front end of that S is on fire, and is contained to the front of the car as can be seen in this photo of the fire being put out.

article-2442392-187DFDC900000578-62_634x

Note how aft of the A-pillar the car appears to be relatively undamaged.

Meanwhile that Solstice is engulfed in flames.

And wow, I had no idea an concept from 1888 was regarded as "new technology". Electricity and batteries are not a new concept. How do you think your car starts every day? I'll give you a hint, with a battery and electricity. What do you think powers all of your cars systems? Electricity! Whether it's powered purely by electricity, by gas, diesel, or clubbed seals, there's going to be a battery and electrical equipment in the vehicle.

Rational people understand that purely electric vehicles are just another way of turning the wheels, they are not perfect but form of propulsion is.

• Agree 1

Now you're condescending in order to try to prop up Tesla, and that is not cool. And... REALLY? You honestly believe comparing the burning
Solstice to the burning Tesla is a valid comparison? How long has that Solstice been burning? How long has that Tesla been burning? I see no fire crew hovering around the Solstice. Stop the BS.

If I were building a house today, you can bet it would have solar panels. But a house is on a foundation, it is not given the task of traveling, at the owner's whim, on hundreds of millions of miles of freeways, country roads, dirt trails, or anywhere else it is pointed... which could be hundreds, or thousands, of miles away from a place to plug it in and replenish it. That is not what I call freedom, and it is perfectly rational to believe in the freedom of the internal combustion engine and the established infrastructure to sustain it.

Edited by ocnblu

The Northeast and California is where people are going to be driving these cars... notice their roll-out schedules. They are not going to sell any number of these cars in other regions of the country where range is essential to practical operation.

Now you're condescending in order to try to prop up Tesla, and that is not cool. And... REALLY? You honestly believe comparing the burning

Solstice to the burning Tesla is a valid comparison? How long has that Solstice been burning? How long has that Tesla been burning? I see no fire crew hovering around the Solstice. Stop the BS.

If I were building a house today, you can bet it would have solar panels. But a house is on a foundation, it is not given the task of traveling, at the owner's whim, on hundreds of millions of miles of freeways, country roads, dirt trails, or anywhere else it is pointed... which could be hundreds, or thousands, of miles away from a place to plug it in and replenish it. That is not what I call freedom, and it is perfectly rational to believe in the freedom of the internal combustion engine and the established infrastructure to sustain it.

Again, rational thought here. It's not propping up anything. One car caught fire due to a freak accident, it's not an epidemic. If it were multiple cars bursting into flames it'd be different. Also, firefighters don't teleport instantaneously to the fires. Going by that knowledge, it had obviously been on fire for several minutes before they arrived. Video footage of the car in flames showed the firefighters were only just getting the hoses out as the recorder drove off. That particular Solstice went from smoke to being burned to the ground in less than 10 minutes.

As far was "freedom" goes, yes currently its easier to go father with a petroleum powered vehicle, but as the infrastructure expands that will be pretty much moot. At the same time batteries are becoming ever more efficient and advanced and will allow the things they power to go longer and longer.

This is what edmunds reported on their 750 mile trip:

A couple of weekends ago my wife and I dashed out of town to watch the Grand Am races at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. And we drove up and back in our 2013 Tesla Model S, the only pure electric vehicle on the market that can make the 750-mile round trip in anything approaching a normal time scale.

Best part: Fuel for the trip cost us exactly zero dollars and zero cents.

Tesla Superchargers at Tejon Ranch and Atascadero got us up there, and the one in Buellton got us home. In between, overnight charges on our hotels' free Level 2 charger kept the Model S topped up for our daily runs to the track.

At the Supercharger, our dashboard told the tale. We'd travelled 162.2 miles and had 81 left in the tank, which works out to 243.2 total miles.

We plugged in and walked across the small parking lot to the Chipotle burrito place to get some food of our own. We could have eaten at the Panda Express next door or the Iron Skillet across the narrow side street.

Point is, it's easy to multitask while your unattended Tesla sits there and charges.

So they hopped out and got a bite to eat while it charged for 42 minutes. That's some range anxiety right there.

• Agree 1

Not gonna be hungry every 250 miles tho. Need to make good time driving to Florida. Don't have time to google a charging station and take a detour for it. Rather stop at the rest and fuel stations along the way and not be a prisoner to my vehicle. My vehicle is a tool, not a master.

And Chicago and DFW and Houston and Miami and even Pittsburgh and Columbus and Denver and boulder and Portland and Las Vegas and.....

Even Breezewood exit on the PA turnpike is getting a station...it seems to be under construction now. At least two Tpk rest stops have charging stations....

Most people don't use their cars for more than 200 miles without stopping... don't extrapolate your own driving patterns to everyone else.

Not gonna be hungry every 250 miles tho. Need to make good time driving to Florida. Don't have time to google a charging station and take a detour for it. Rather stop at the rest and fuel stations along the way and not be a prisoner to my vehicle. My vehicle is a tool, not a master.

The car had charging station listings built into the NAV. It finds them for you.

Ah... but those who DO want to drive like my example (or are employed by companies that demand they drive) are SOL with electrics. Their range has not expanded in 100 years. I stop at rest stops to pee. Takes 2 minutes.

Google, nav, same diff!

Edited by ocnblu

But now I have to hop in the shower and run over to my bro's house for his wife's b-day dinner, a short hop of ten miles or so. Good thing I have a 500 gallon tank of diesel here at home to fuel up my car. ;) Have fun!

THEN DONT BUY A TESLA! But don't piss on those that do! Jeeze! There are people who hate diesels too you know and yet I would agree that their dislike is just as irrational as yours.

I just did a 1400 mile trip in the CR-V and gosh, me, my back, my ears, and my wallet all wish it had been a Model S instead. And there are enough charging stations along the route that I could have done it with no trouble.

Ack! I accidentally deleted a post of yours ocn, not intentional, I'll see if I can get it back.

So, riding in a Tesla over 1400 miles is exactly like sitting in a warm bubblebath, with no stress whatsoever? Not that I'd want to do it in a CR-V of your vintage either... my Bug is pretty darn comfortable and quiet up to 100 mph (that's as fast as I've had it so far), and I can go 635 miles in my car before I have to stop for fuel.

• Disagree 1

THEN DONT BUY A TESLA! But don't piss on those that do! Jeeze! There are people who hate diesels too you know and yet I would agree that their dislike is just as irrational as yours.

I just did a 1400 mile trip in the CR-V and gosh, me, my back, my ears, and my wallet all wish it had been a Model S instead. And there are enough charging stations along the route that I could have done it with no trouble.

Ack! I accidentally deleted a post of yours ocn, not intentional, I'll see if I can get it back.

I dunno, that one Model S caught fire, out of thousands that have been sold. With odds like that you would have had 100% chance of dying in a fireball.

• Agree 2