Problem is that GM hasn't given Cadillac the budget to develop various versions at the same time that the sedans are being developed, it's been a wait-and-see-and-wait-and-see-again approach that really hasn't helped Cadillac.

Ding, Ding Ding!  Not enough body style or engine choices, not enough crossovers, and 2003 was the original quest to take on the Germans, it has been 12 years now.

C-class coupe comes out December 2015, convertible in March 2016, so they will have done, sedan, wagon, AMG, coupe and convertible in an 18 month time frame.  Cadillac probably doesn't need a wagon since that is a European body style, so all they have to do is 3 body styles in 18 months, that should be doable.

Cadillac should now restate their quest now that the Germans are going into the general consumer market. Let Buick handle the little FWD premium cars and keep Cadillac out of it. The CLA is now $32k... why would anyone in their right mind buy the pathetic CLA over an equally priced and more powerful ATS now except for badge snobbery? Heck, even a Regal is a much better buy than the CLA or A3.

The base ATS has no power though, 200 hp, 190 lb-ft or something, the CLA has 258 lb-ft of torque and a 7-speed transmission, and Mercedes styling and badge are probably enough to get them to sell, plus the CLA gets 38 mpg highway in fwd trim, that is pretty good.  I personally wouldn't consider a CLA because of the FWD roots, but people buying a $35k car probably aren't too worried about drive wheels, especially when AWD is offered.  Look at all the fwd crossovers that sell, they are actually preferred to the rear drive ones, and compared to an Acura ILX or Lexus CT200, the CLA looks like a peach.

If Cadillac wants the ATS to line up against the C-class, that means $40k base price, that would open up room for Buick, but then the CTS at $44k needs to go up to $50k, and can Cadillac get sales doing that?  They are struggling as it is.

Edited by smk4565

The base ATS has no power though, 200 hp, 190 lb-ft or something, the CLA has 258 lb-ft of torque and a 7-speed transmission, and Mercedes styling and badge are probably enough to get them to sell, plus the CLA gets 38 mpg highway in fwd trim, that is pretty good.  I personally wouldn't consider a CLA because of the FWD roots, but people buying a $35k car probably aren't too worried about drive wheels, especially when AWD is offered.  Look at all the fwd crossovers that sell, they are actually preferred to the rear drive ones, and compared to an Acura ILX or Lexus CT200, the CLA looks like a peach.

If Cadillac wants the ATS to line up against the C-class, that means $40k base price, that would open up room for Buick, but then the CTS at $44k needs to go up to $50k, and can Cadillac get sales doing that?  They are struggling as it is.

The base ATS 2.5 is $28k, so $4k below the base price of the CLA.  If you read what I said, at the CLA price range, you can get an ATS with more power.

Psst. You better let BMW know then... they're selling 3-series starting at $31k and Audi is selling A4s for $34k.  Shame BMW is struggling so much 

Well Audi has to discount, they aren't as good as Mercedes.  3-series are really cheap, I myself am surprised at how low the price starts, but then again they put zero equipment at all on those base cars, and the 328i starts at $37,500 and $39,500 for awd, which is pretty close to C300 pricing.   I want to see a C250 bluetec, that is supposed to be coming, but I don't know if they would price it any lower than the C300.