Honda News: Honda Axes Civic Hybrid and Natural Gas At The End of 2015

Changes are afoot at Honda as they get ready for a massive product overhaul coming in the next few years. Autoblog reports that at the end of 2015 model year, the Civic Hybrid and Natural Gas models will be no more due to customer preferences changing.

"These moves will allow greater focus on Civic's sporty new driving character," said John Mendel, Honda executive vice president and head of US automotive operations.

The new Civic will go on sale sometime later this year in sedan, coupe, and hatchback forms. The Type-R which was announced to come to the U.S. sometime later has been given an arrival date of 2017.

Source: Autoblog

View full article

Since the demise of the Insight I haven't read anything regarding a dedicated hybrid from Honda as far as sedans/hatches.  I wonder if they are still evolving the fuel cell car (FCX Clarity) towards volume production..

Hold on, trespassers.  If the CUSTOMER does not want these, are you really advocating their continued production?  READ THE QUOTE from the Honda executive in the original post, if you can manage it.

I will post it again, since it did not sink in:  "These moves will allow greater focus on Civic's sporty new driving character," said John Mendel, Honda executive vice president and head of US automotive operations.

Sad for the death of the CNG Civic as those that own them love them. But GM, Ford and Dodge / Ram are expanding so just more options from others.

I have to question Honda Executives on this as I really doubt about some of their changes recently.

The only thing this tells me is that the new Civic will likely get fantastic fuel economy in the base form and just reinforces the fact that IMA isn't that effective as a hybrid technology. .... it is not, in any way, vindication of those who are against electrification as a whole any more than GM's canceling of eAssist was.

• Agree 1

Do you think the canceling of the Hybrid is also a realization that in the low end line of auto's people have been driven out of car shopping by the outrageous cost of auto's today.

The Civic line probably does not need a Hybrid or CNG. Those should have been in the Accord line.

The cost should have been in a auto line that could justify the cost.

The problem for the Civic Hybrid is the Pruis.  The Civic Hybrid and Prius (Not the Prius C) are only $500 apart on base price, yet the Pruis has substantially better fuel economy averages in the city and almost equal on the highway.

So Honda has sent out yesterday to those of us working in the CNG field the attached PDF letter notifying us of the discontinuation of the Honda Civic and current inventories.

Civic Natural Gas program - Fleet Client.pdf

Bummer as I still think CNG is the future stepping stone to eventual electric only auto's once Battery technology is built to support a 500 mile trip without long charge times, etc. Batteries need to go the distance just like a fuel tank. So a Suburban if electric should be able to go 500 miles on a charged battery just like a current gas tank.

• 3 weeks later...

That's surprising for the hybrid as those customers seem to really like them.   They also seem to drive better than the standard Civic model for some reason.... maybe because they have better low end torque. 

They have battery issues.....

The cost should have been in a auto line that could justify the cost.

The problem for the Civic Hybrid is the Pruis.  The Civic Hybrid and Prius (Not the Prius C) are only $500 apart on base price, yet the Pruis has substantially better fuel economy averages in the city and almost equal on the highway.

Prius has a resale and name recognition advantage also...