Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

GM Retail Sales Up 14 Percent

• GM’s four brands post their best combined July total and retail sales since 2007
  • Chevrolet delivers its best total and retail sales for any July since 2006
  • Chevrolet and GMC sold more than 86,000 pickups – best July since 2006
  • GMC Sierra and Canyon earned the highest Average Transaction Prices in their segments
  • Buick sales up 18 percent on strong crossover demand
  • Large planned reductions in daily rental deliveries continue

DETROIT – General Motor’s (NYSE: GM) Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac brands sold 272,512 vehicles in the United States in July 2015, a 6 percent increase and the four brands’ best combined July since 2007. The month was paced by an 18 percent increase in Buick sales, a 1 percent increase at GMC and an 8 percent increase in Chevrolet sales.  Chevrolet’s results included a 24 percent increase in pickup, van and SUV sales, and the brand’s best July crossover sales ever.

Company-wide, retail deliveries climbed 14 percent year over year, and the company gained retail market share for the fourth month in a row thanks to a 16 percent gain at Chevrolet, a 15 percent gain at GMC and a 12 percent increase at Buick. The month was GM’s best July for retail sales since 2007.

Fleet deliveries in July were down 20 percent year over year, as the company continues to execute its plan to reduce sales to rental customers and grow commercial and government deliveries. Government sales were up 38 percent, with deliveries to state and local governments up 59 percent. Commercial deliveries were up year over year for the 21st consecutive month. Rental deliveries were down 36 percent.

“The second half of 2015 is off to a great start, with industry sales above expectations,” said Kurt McNeil, GM’s U.S. vice president of Sales Operations. “GM has been steadily growing its commercial sales and retail market share, thanks to our strong truck and crossover portfolio. We feel very good about our truck strategy heading into the late summer and fall, when those segments usually heat up. We are the only manufacturer that has completely revamped its entire lineup of large SUVs, and mid-size, light duty and heavy duty pickups.”

July Sales Highlights vs. 2014 (except as noted)

Total Sales

Chevrolet

• Chevrolet had its best July sales since 2006.  Crossover deliveries have increased year over year for eight consecutive months and truck sales have increased for fifteen consecutive months.
  • Pickup deliveries were up 51 percent. The Silverado was up 34 percent and Colorado sales were 7,209 units. The Colorado remains America’s fastest-selling pickup with a “days to turn” of 16 days.
  • Chevrolet had its best July crossover sales ever. The Traverse was up 32 percent, and the Trax had its best month since launch with 6,111 units delivered.
  • Malibu sales were up 18 percent and Cruze sales were up 2 percent.

GMC

• GMC had its best July sales since 2005.
  • GMC pickup deliveries were up 28 percent, and the Sierra and Canyon have the highest average transaction prices (ATPs) in their respective segments, according to J.D. Power PIN estimates. The Sierra enjoys the highest ATPs of any pickup in the industry.
  • The Acadia, GMC’s flagship crossover, was up 32 percent, for its best month ever.

Buick

• Buick had its best July sales since 2006.
  • Encore deliveries were up 68 percent for the small crossover’s 19th consecutive year-over-year sales increase.  Sales of Buick’s other crossover, the Enclave, were up 25 percent, for its best July ever.
  • Regal sedan deliveries were up 24 percent.

Cadillac

• CTS sedan deliveries were up 18 percent; the SRX crossover was up 47 percent for its best July ever.

Fleet and Commercial

• Rental deliveries in July were down approximately 13,500 units. A year-over-year decline in the range of 15,000 – 17,000 units is expected in August.
  • In the second half of the year, planned reductions in rental deliveries are expected to total more than 60,000 units. Rental deliveries in the first half of the year were down more than 18,000 units.
  • GM continues to prioritize retail sales of its new full-size Chevrolet and GMC SUVs. Retail deliveries were up 6 percent while fleet deliveries were down 68 percent.
  • Calendar year to date, commercial deliveries are up 17 percent, government sales are up 4 percent and rental deliveries are down 11 percent.  Total fleet deliveries are down 2 percent.
  • Pickup sales to fleets have increased year over year for 15 straight months due to strong demand from commercial and government customers. Commercial pickup sales are up 33 percent calendar year to date.

Retail Sales

Chevrolet

• The Silverado was up 35 percent, and the truck had its best July retail sales since 2006.
  • Tahoe deliveries were up 16 percent and Suburban deliveries were up 15 percent. Tahoe had its best July retail sales since 2008.
  • Traverse was up 10 percent for its best July retail sales ever.
  • Impala deliveries were up 9 percent and Malibu deliveries were up 25 percent. Both cars had their best July retail sales since 2010. 

GMC

• GMC has grown its retail sales for 18 consecutive months.
  • The Acadia was up 29 percent. 

Buick

• Encore deliveries were up 63 percent and Regal was up 31 percent.

Cadillac

• SRX was up 42 percent and CTS sedan sales were up 19 percent.

Average Transaction Prices (PIN)

• ATPs continue to be strong. GM’s July ATPs were $33,800, up about $200 month over month, and about $530 year over year.
  • The ongoing success of the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra helped drive the ATP increase; full-size pickup truck ATPs were up $230 month over month and more than $1,000 year over year.
  • Calendar year to date, GM’s incentive spending was 10.9 percent of ATP, up 0.2 percentage points, in line with the industry change.
  • In July, GM’s incentive spending was 12.5 percent of ATP, up 0.4 percentage points from June 2015; the industry was up 0.3 percentage points.

post-10485-0-42262500-1438612184_thumb.j

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Cadillac down again at -7.1%.

If that continues to November, that will be a 2 year regression of either flat or negative monthly gains.

Lincoln is up again at 21%, as a friendly FYI

...now that we have dispensed with Ford troll's latest self-inflicted wounds in various over treads ("Kiww da WAB-bit, Kiww da WAB-bit..."), we can breathe and do a breakdown of what GM is doing right with their large trucks and SUVs:

Basically, everything.

That's not just a snarky comment. GM uses two basic frame architectures for its full-size trucks, and a variant of its half-ton frame for its large SUVs. It is about as efficient as it can be for economics of scale.

And the trucks are killin' it.

Granted, the Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon are a bit down. But I'm pretty sure that GM will take that when the Escalade's numbers are up enough to render them basically a wash.

Edited by El Kabong

If that continues to November, that will be a 2 year regression of either flat or negative monthly gains.

The Cadillac brand sold 14,154 cars. Lincoln sold 9,536 at lower transaction prices and they continue getting mediocre to poor reviews. Let that sink in for a while.

• Agree 2

As for the cars: only the Impala is a bit of a letdown. It's not on its way out the door anytime soon, nor is it the victim, sales-wise, of a more hard-line pricing strategy.

Food for thought:

-the Camaro is still on pace for about 80,000 units as a lame-duck model. Even if we take a bad-case scenario where Alpha Camaro only holds the line on those numbers, is it really bad to have a Cadillac-spec chassis moving in the six-figures per year range?

-the Corvette continues to sell strong. The new styling philosophy is a success.

The Cadillac brand sold 14,154 cars. Lincoln sold 9,536 at lower transaction prices and they continue getting mediocre to poor reviews. Let that sink in for a while.

I'm not going to disagree(because there is nothing to disagree with lol) but, the Lincolns, because they are(sadly) fancy Fords, their cost is probably much lower than Cadillacs(which are more unique - at least the CTS and ATS as of now). Still with a ~5000 unit spread I doubt they are making up for profits with the lower costs to make but I bet it looks a lot better on paper than selling ~5000 fewer units.

Oops! This is the GM thread.. I'm done talking Ferds here.

Edited by ccap41

*L* nothing wrong with contrasting different philosophies, man. It's not like any company is bulletproof.

But LOOKIT THOSE SALES NUMBERS FOR THE TRUCKS!!!

...it has to say something that GM can gain that much market share in such a brutally competitive segment in such a short time frame.

Trucks really are an extremely competitive segment. And that is why we ave such amazing trucks to choose from right now. And why Toyota and Nissan still have trucks over here and that they are improving on them(Nissan's new Cummins). None of them are bad choices(D3 at least) and none of them offer bad engines/tramsmissions. All of them will do the work almost anbody ever asks of them. They're just really good right now.

I'm not going to argue that point here. All I'm saying here is that GM has managed to grab a huge chunk of that segment in the last twelve months. And I'm not even talking about the Canyonados.

They did some things in this segment that will pay big dividends down the road if they're smart. And they did it without killing profitability. Both from a product and financial standpoint, it was a clever bit of business.

Edited by El Kabong

We keep hearing about the F-150s big transaction prices, but GMC has the highest for the segment.  I can't wait until the refreshed Sierra and Silveraodo and the Diesel Colorado/Canyon.   IMHO, GM has proven that a midsize truck does not eat away at fullsize sales. 

• Agree 1

GM is in the catbird seat, no doubt about it. They may not have the most innovative trucks, nor are they the most eye-grabbing.

But they are the best there is in taking all the traditional virtues that make a great truck and refining them to the nth degree. Seriously, the Canyonados are just icing on the cake.

Lincoln is coming from the gutter, sales are up since they added the MKC and crossovers are easy to sell.  The MKC was a good move on their part though, the Escape is a huge seller, makes sense to have a luxury version of it.  Lincoln sedan sales are knocking on deaths door, I still question the long term viability of the brand.

Cadillac has a sales and marketing problem and is clueless how to sell sedans.  The E-class (which is a dated model) outsold the ATS, CTS and XTS combined.  Lexus IS outsold the ATS by over 3-1 and it is ugly with a powertrain from 2007.  Cadillac has a serious brand image problem that most people probably don't even consider one.

Interesting that the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade trio all had pretty big drops, the Lambdas all did pretty well, so I wonder if that is a one time thing, or if more people are moving away from the big V8 trucks to the crossovers.  I wouldn't be surprised to see that trend continue.  Pickup trucks did really well though.

Impala sales aren't bad when you look at the segment.  Large sedans are just a dying breed.  Impala outsold the Taurus 2-1, and it outsells the Avalon, Maxima, Azera and Cadenza.  The Impala is starts about $4-6,000 less than the Asian competition, but still, that segment just doesn't have a lot of volume.

I'm not going to disagree(because there is nothing to disagree with lol) but, the Lincolns, because they are(sadly) fancy Fords, their cost is probably much lower than Cadillacs(which are more unique - at least the CTS and ATS as of now). Still with a ~5000 unit spread I doubt they are making up for profits with the lower costs to make but I bet it looks a lot better on paper than selling ~5000 fewer units.

Well see GM has the Buick brand more or less using the same strategy as Lincoln. Buick sold 20,791 vehicles last month. Sure we can split hairs and say new Lincolns are a step more luxurious than Buicks, but then Cadillacs are a step higher than Lincoln. At the end of the day, you have 35,000 luxury cars sold by GM.

As smk4565 put fairly succinctly, Cadillac makes great cars that lack proper marketing. The product is there. I'd rather be in that position 100 times over.

Well see GM has the Buick brand more or less using the same strategy as Lincoln. Buick sold 20,791 vehicles last month. Sure we can split hairs and say new Lincolns are a step more luxurious than Buicks, but then Cadillacs are a step higher than Lincoln. At the end of the day, you have 35,000 luxury cars sold by GM.

As smk4565 put fairly succinctly, Cadillac makes great cars that lack proper marketing. The product is there. I'd rather be in that position 100 times over.

i still have a hard time viewing Buick as luxury.. I guess I still have the mindset from the early 2000s with the Regal and Century.. Those cars were so bland and average. I realize the new stuff is much much better but I haven't been in a modern Buick so I still view them as just a Chevy with a little more leather.

Yes, Cadillac has the potential to blow up.. As we have all said, they just need a bigger lineup and to actually get their name out there.

I actually drove through a Cadillac dealer in my area this past weekend and I pointed to the ATS and CTS next to eachother and I asked my gf if she could could point out anything different about the two(without telling her they were different to begin with). She thought they were the same exact car. For some, that's bad. I personally do not mind because I think they both look really sharp.. Random mini story..

i still have a hard time viewing Buick as luxury.. I guess I still have the mindset from the early 2000s with the Regal and Century.. Those cars were so bland and average. I realize the new stuff is much much better but I haven't been in a modern Buick so I still view them as just a Chevy with a little more leather.

Yes, Cadillac has the potential to blow up.. As we have all said, they just need a bigger lineup and to actually get their name out there.

I actually drove through a Cadillac dealer in my area this past weekend and I pointed to the ATS and CTS next to eachother and I asked my gf if she could could point out anything different about the two(without telling her they were different to begin with). She thought they were the same exact car. For some, that's bad. I personally do not mind because I think they both look really sharp.. Random mini story..

Eh, try the same test with BMW and Audi.

I think the next generation the interior actually dropped in overall quality. The center stack looked EXTREMELY cheap and plasticy, let alone for a luxury brand.

Eh, try the same test with BMW and Audi.

I don't know about Audi because I think their older stuff was attrocious looking but earl-mid 2000's BMW and MB were very nice. In fact, my '06 C350 had one of the nicest interiors I've ever been in. Quality-wise. The only plastic was the actual buttons. Everything else was leather or aluminum.

I actually think in 08 they took a decent step backwards in quality of interiors. The center stack on the '08+ was extremely cheap and plasticy.

6144660B-B66B-4220-911E-3A8B466DB854_zps

80E12407-7C79-4200-A361-0B45AF107550_zps

DAMNIT, Now I'm talking MB in this GM thread!.

Edited by ccap41

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Did SRX have a fire sale?

Sales are way up and dang if SRX alone does not count for nearly 1/2 of caddy sales....or at least the lion's share.

Edited by Wings4Life

I also think the 2008 C-class interior went backwards, I think Mercedes in general started going for more of a sporty or performance minded interior, and ended up with black plastic in the process.  Then around 2012 they remember they make luxury cars and went back to more wood, aluminum and leather and more colors. 

Buick I do not think is a luxury car, their cars are basically $4-5,000 higher base price than a Chevy, a Chevy LTZ trim car is probably priced higher than most Buick base models.  A Hyundai Azera is priced higher than any Buick sedan, not exactly a luxury car in the Azera.

Okay... so now you're trolling.  Knock it off.

Cadillac ATP are way way up and they can't build enough Escalades to meet demand... they've announced a huge expansion of Arlington to try and cope.

• Agree 1

We keep hearing about the F-150s big transaction prices, but GMC has the highest for the segment.  I can't wait until the refreshed Sierra and Silveraodo and the Diesel Colorado/Canyon.   IMHO, GM has proven that a midsize truck does not eat away at fullsize sales. 

First thing U have said in a long time that hasn't made me instantly think I just mistakenly walked into a special ed class with U sitting in the front row.

Every Ford/Ram fan was giddy with the idea that the Silverado and Sierra had missed the mark in 2013 when they showed up on dealer lots. Every Ford/Ram fan instantly said that the Colorado and Canyon were gonna do nothing but take sales numbers away from the Silvy/Sierra. They were flat out wrong. I wish I had a $h!pie to rub some faces in.

Lincoln ATPs are up as well.

True... but not like Cadillac. 

Lincoln's sales growth has mostly been at the bottom end of it's portfolio.... which is fine... Lincoln needs the growth. 

Cadillac has specifically said they are not going to chase volume at the expense of profits. Which is also fine.   Escalade ATP is up $20k over the previous model.  CTS ATP is up and even though volumes aren't that of the previous model, it also has 2 fewer body styles and one missing trim level (up till now, the CTS-V hasn't been available)

Furthermore, even though I didn't call it out earlier, the 21% up for the month can also mean that Lincoln just had a crappy July 2014. Which... since we keep all of the results in the archives... I can actually easily go look up Lincoln's July 2014 sales numbers.  And lo and behold, Lincoln was down 9.1% for July 2014 if you exclude the MKC which was a brand new model then.... so half of that 21% growth in July 2015 is just making up for a crappy July 2014.  The other half is MKC and MKX.

Lincoln is only up 8.1% YTD.  Cadillac is down 2.4% YTD, but with a $7,000 increase in transaction prices on average and $20k increase in the Escalade.   2.4% down YTD isn't even the missing sales from the CTS coupe. 

All of that aside, the fact remains that the only reason Wings put his statement the way he did was to troll. 

• Agree 1

First thing U have said in a long time that hasn't made me instantly think I just mistakenly walked into a special ed class with U sitting in the front row.

Every Ford/Ram fan was giddy with the idea that the Silverado and Sierra had missed the mark in 2013 when they showed up on dealer lots. Every Ford/Ram fan instantly said that the Colorado and Canyon were gonna do nothing but take sales numbers away from the Silvy/Sierra. They were flat out wrong. I wish I had a $h!pie to rub some faces in.

Ha, This ram fan never said such a thing, especially about the midsize trucks.  FYI, I will post facts in a thread whatever the brand and I like what GM is doing truckwise.  I can't wait for their updated fullsize trucks to hit the lot.

Cadillac ATP are way way up and they can't build enough Escalades to meet demand... they've announced a huge expansion of Arlington to try and cope.

Music to my ears....

On both subjects that you touched in your post.

Its too bad that the down voting system is disabled...

PS: I saw that post fresh when it was made...I decided to ignore it...

Yeah...I know...Im acting like a 2 year old brat...

It is what it is when Wings is part of a community.

Should I be more responsible and act my age?

Sure I could...

Until the next time that 50 year old man-child posts again...

Then Ill have to

1. ignore and move on...being that Im supposed to behave my age and it seems like posters like me are held to higher standards and posters like Wings are accepted and rewarded for being the lowest of the low...

How you may ask?

Well....our right to down vote him is gone...dont tell me he doesnt deserve a down vote for that post...

2. post in his style...which brings you headaches....and I understand that...but even with an ignore feature...and I do use it...when others respond to him and DIRECTLY quote him....SURPRISE!!!! I cant really ignore his posts no more....and its quite frustrating to not being able to NOT SEE his posts 100%...

Therefore...the ONLY recourse I had to show my displeasure for him....without actually responding to him....was with the down votes....now those are gone...

Sorry Drew....but I may be indulging my self to terribly twos behavior from time to time...

can someone please explain to me how the hell the on the market 6 year Camaro is selling only 1000 less than the brand new Mustang with the Stingray pulling in almost 3000 on the same lot?

Is that all it is?

Wow. Based on the trash talk from some I woulda thought it was TENS OF THOUSANDS OF UNITS.

...you know, like the advantage the GM half-tons have.

can someone please explain to me how the hell the on the market 6 year Camaro is selling only 1000 less than the brand new Mustang with the Stingray pulling in almost 3000 on the same lot?

Is that all it is?

Wow. Based on the trash talk from some I woulda thought it was TENS OF THOUSANDS OF UNITS.

well it is tens of thousands of units YTD  (and YTD is the number that truly matters).   Wings is correct in that regard that the Mustang is 26k units ahead of Camaro YTD and that is a sizable lead for this segment.  There's probably not even 30k Gen-5 Camaros left to be built before production stops at the end of October/beginning of November.  So there is basically zero chance of the Camaro catching Mustang this year.   

However, cheering that victory would be like me cheering for myself for winning a bicycle race against Lance Armstrong while Lance Armstrong has a broken leg.

I don't believe that lead will be held as the new Camaro comes on full swing in the Springtime 2016 (traditionally when sport car sales heat up).

Is that all it is?

well it is tens of thousands of units YTD  (and YTD is the number that truly matters).   Wings is correct in that regard that the Mustang is 26k units ahead of Camaro YTD and that is a sizable lead for this segment.  There's probably not even 30k Gen-5 Camaros left to be built before production stops at the end of October/beginning of November.  So there is basically zero chance of the Camaro catching Mustang this year.   

However, cheering that victory would be like me cheering for myself for winning a bicycle race against Lance Armstrong while Lance Armstrong has a broken leg.

I don't believe that lead will be held as the new Camaro comes on full swing in the Springtime 2016 (traditionally when sport car sales heat up).

Oh, ok. I just saw the "1000 less units" part of casa's post and went with it.

Otherwise, what you said. There is a world of difference between outselling a lame-duck product and outselling a competitor that is newer than you.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Music to my ears....

Sure I could...

Then Ill have to

1. ignore and move on...being that Im supposed to behave my age and it seems like posters like me are held to higher standards and posters like Wings are accepted and rewarded for being the lowest of the low...

How you may ask?

Well....our right to down vote him is gone...dont tell me he doesnt deserve a down vote for that post...

2. post in his style...which brings you headaches....and I understand that...but even with an ignore feature...and I do use it...when others respond to him and DIRECTLY quote him....SURPRISE!!!! I cant really ignore his posts no more....and its quite frustrating to not being able to NOT SEE his posts 100%...

Therefore...the ONLY recourse I had to show my displeasure for him....without actually responding to him....was with the down votes....now those are gone...

Sorry Drew....but I may be indulging my self to terribly twos behavior from time to time...

oy freaking vey.

I get all this for mentioning Cadillac's sales troubles.....yet the constant Ford bashing by some gets a All-Access-Pass on a daily basis.

OK then.  

Point taken.

Music to my ears....

Sure I could...

Then Ill have to

How you may ask?

oy freaking vey.

I get all this for mentioning Cadillac's sales troubles.....yet the constant Ford bashing by some gets a All-Access-Pass on a daily basis.

OK then.  

Point taken.

No....its not because mentioning Cadillac sales troubles...

1. MAN UP to your trolling and STOP pushing the blame unto others...Ford bashin is just an excuse for you to use in a defense to play the victim card...there is no Ford bashing...

2. TAKE UP responsibility with YOUR OWN TROLLING ISSUES....

3. Stop with the condescending style "oy veys".....that PROVES to me...and others...that YOU PLAY THE VICTIM CARD AND NEVER TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN TROLLING...

4. If you stop doing all that...then and only then will it be...POINT TAKEN...

Now....lets get back on topic....

Edited by oldshurst442

Indeed.

...so I read that GM is cleaning up in the light truck segment :)

I think it was a GREAT move to sell mid-sized trucks again.

I wonder if Ford will bring their global Ranger in North America...might be a very interesting battle if they do bring it over...

Maybe. Thing is, the NA Canyonados are quite a bit different than the global ones. Would a true Global Ranger be enough for here?

Well...

I dont know all the metrics that are involved in selling mid-sized trucks in North America.

Alls I know...back in the 1950s and 1960s...the pick-up trucks we had were mid-sized...they were no bigger than compact pick-ups from Europe...This trend continued int the 1970s and then these pick-ups became bigger and bigger...but...the D3 continued to peddle compact and mid-sized pick-up trucks...then the J3 offered compact pick-up tucks in North America....then all of a sudden...this market just disappeared....only Toyota successfully sold their compact/mid-sized truck...until the Canyonado came back...of course the Canyon was sold in the 1990s...but it was a poor effort....now that this generation came to be...the sales just befuddle me...because like I said...they went away, quickly in the 1990s.

Granted, I dont know all the metrics and history of this market to truly carry an intelligent conversation.

oy freaking vey.

OK then.  

Point taken.

One would have though you would have noticed by now that we are very fact and numbers based around here.  Not "Fox News Outrage" numbers twisted in a way to look favorable to a given bias... but actual numbers an reasoning behind them.   I've already pointed out why your original post was the latter and not the former.   And I have also backed up your numbers and corrected others when you were right.... so don't act like I'm playing favorites.

• Agree 1

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Drew.

this was my post that created such an outrage, and kindly note, it's all about numbers.

Drew.

this was my post that created such an outrage, and kindly note, it's all about numbers.

And I provided the analysis of those numbers that you omitted.  

• Agree 1

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

What I am hearing is that I should be qualifying my remarks a little better next time I point out a negative.......on GM.

And I can prob expect the same qualification requests toward the many, and I mean many constant jabs at F-150 sales, Lincoln sales, F-150 development costs, etc.

Just want to know where I stand.

What I am hearing is that I should be qualifying my remarks a little better next time I point out a negative.......on GM.

And I can prob expect the same qualification requests toward the many, and I mean many constant jabs at F-150 sales, Lincoln sales, F-150 development costs, etc.

Just want to know where I stand.

I did the same thing supporting your post on the Mustang numbers, did I not?

Is that all it is?

Yeah Mustang is finally leading the numbers after losing for the last 5 years..

2w24v41.jpg