Quick Used Drive: 2008 Lincoln MKX AWD

Stew

My brother got his wife a new vehicle, a 2008 MKX.

102k miles

One owner

Dealership maintained

2 year warranty

Immaculate condition.

All options but touchscreen/navigation and possibly the THX sound system

20 inch rims

Purchase price 11k OTD

I am guessing the color is platinum.  Looks silver in some light and Gold in others.  Looks really good with the 20 inch chrome rims.  Really nice gray interior.

Signs of wear and tear:  couple small nicks on the rear driver's door.  Slight signs in the backseat area where a childseat was used, some on armrest, otherwise mint condition, Panoramic sunroof needs oiled or a spray of WD40.

Features of note:

Sync:  Didn't get a chance to try it with my Galaxy, but said his 6 plus synced fine

Heated and cooled seats;  Love the cooled seats, much better than was in his CTS

Power tailgate:  love this.  power up and down and can be controlled by a button in the cab or on the keyfob.

Panoramic sunroof:  It is huge!  The front part that opens is so large it covers part of the backseat and has a power sunshade, very nice indeed.

Buttons and knobs:  YES, I love the simplicity and they look good and work well. 

HID headlights and foglights:  High beams bright enough to see into the next county.

Sound system:  i don't know for sure if it has the THX system, but it had one of the best sounding systems I have heard in a vehicle.  Very clear and loud. 

Those LED taillights.  One of the reasons the 1st gen MKX is my favorite is because it was very unique and screamed Lincoln more than those after it.  I LOVE that huge LED strip that goes all the way across the rear the rear with LED brake lights and even LED backup lights.  Impressive considering it was an 08. 

Interior:  As seen above in the features, they were pretty impressive.  I was also impressed with the interior.  It didn't feel like you were sitting in a Ford and I give them huge kudos for that.  The seats were extremely comfortable and full power with lumbar for both the driver and front passenger.  I really liked the 2 tier center console with tons of storage and snazzy looking dual chrome handles to open them.  Controls were easy to see and use and a comfortable driving position was easy to find via the very adjustable seats and the tilt/telescoping steering wheel.   The only real negative, and it isn't really a negative, was that the gauges were pretty basic.  That said, I liked the classic look and they were easy to read. 

The drive:  Again, a comfortable seating position was easy to find.  The steering wheel is a good size and fits well in your hands.  Steering was surprisingly tight and well weighted.  It was not over-boosted in any way and gave a good sense of control.  The 20 inch rims did make the ride a little brittle over potholes, but it was never really harsh.  Really more heard than felt.  It did have some body roll, but nothing unexpected.  The 3.5 V6 had plenty of power and even had a bit of a snarl to it that sounded really good.  Braking was smooth and well controlled.  It, of course, is no sports car, but is a very comfortable ride that would be amazing on longer tips or just running errands, exactly as it should be.

Overall:  This is easily an underrated vehicle.  It is smooth, luxurious, and loaded with great and usable features.  It drives well and provides comfort for days. An amazing value on the used market.  If you are in the market for a used crossover, this should really be on your list.

Note;  The other finalist on their list was an 09 Acura RDX.  They chose the Lincoln because of the room, features, smooth V6, price, and the fact it was 30 bucks a month less to insure.

Amazing how many are for sale on AutoTrader at the dealers and you can find some really loaded AWD versions with minimal miles. Found a Gold 2011 one only 27 miles from my house with only 22K miles asking $28K, carfax is free and shows was a senior purchase all maintained at the dealer, no accidents. Very good deal for a loaded AWD CUV.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...