C&D Reviews a segment stalwart: BMW X3 xDrive35i

Suaviloquent

New compact luxury crossovers are being introduced apace, with strong-selling models like the Lexus NX and the Lincoln MKC claiming large slices of a pie once carved up almost exclusively by Acura, BMW, Mercedes, and Audi. But there’s still goodness to be found among the older guard, particularly BMW’s X3.

Read more at: 

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-bmw-x3-xdrive35i-test-review

While I think it's interesting that the X3 still remains one of the best despite its age, I don't think that the next-generation of this vehicle will enjoy as big an advantage as it used to once have over everything else.

The new entrants have made a splash, and they are going to try to build more momentum. 

All crossovers are expensive.  $54k for an X3 is nor more ridiculous than $31k for a Rav4.

What the X3 has going for it is 3-series chassis, Inline 6 engine and ZF 8-speed transmission.  The X3 can run with an Ecboost Mustang or a Camaro V6 in a 0-60 sprint, might even win the drag race between the 3.  Most of these small crossovers are derived on Focus or Civic platform, so the X3 has the better foundation than the Lincoln, Acura, Lexus crowd.

That interior is looking really tired though, the GLC will eat the X3 for lunch, and the GLC has more power.  BMW better get that Carbon Core and the next-gen 335 hp inline six in the X3 asap.

All crossovers are expensive.  $54k for an X3 is nor more ridiculous than $31k for a Rav4.

What the X3 has going for it is 3-series chassis, Inline 6 engine and ZF 8-speed transmission.  The X3 can run with an Ecboost Mustang or a Camaro V6 in a 0-60 sprint, might even win the drag race between the 3.  Most of these small crossovers are derived on Focus or Civic platform, so the X3 has the better foundation than the Lincoln, Acura, Lexus crowd.

That interior is looking really tired though, the GLC will eat the X3 for lunch, and the GLC has more power.  BMW better get that Carbon Core and the next-gen 335 hp inline six in the X3 asap.

You think ANY X3 buyer is worried about drag racing a mustang?  You think that is even on their radar? 

At $54k, you're at Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit V8 pricing.... a vehicle just as fast, far more capable off-road, more luxurious, and roomier.    If you spend $53k on a BMW X3, you just have to admit that you're only after the badge.

• Agree 1

Well I wouldn't buy an X3, I wouldn't buy any crossover or SUV.  And I'l agree the X3 isn't really good value, but if it drives like a BMW, that puts it ahead of most crossovers that drive like Focus or Camry.   In this segment though, the GLC costs the same, has a decades more modern interior and more power, and better styling.   And a better badge, it wins all around.  I think the X3 is in trouble without massive improvements.

People buying CUVs aren't after the "drive of a BMW". 99% of people buying CUVs are after the roominess, larger-than-a-car, and...other things have nothing to do with what us entusiasts are after in a vehicle. So it might as well be a Ford Escape or Toyota Rav4 with an expensive badge to the customer. Those consumers probably don't even know which wheels are powered or by what engine if powering said weels(I4, V6, I6). I couldn't imagine spending 54k for something the same size(or very similar) as my Escape.Yes Yes Yes.. The interior is going to be a major step up from a Ford but 33k more than what I paid? Nope. For how the average CUV driver drives their CUV? Nope.

• Agree 1

Well I wouldn't buy an X3, I wouldn't buy any crossover or SUV.  And I'l agree the X3 isn't really good value, but if it drives like a BMW, that puts it ahead of most crossovers that drive like Focus or Camry.   In this segment though, the GLC costs the same, has a decades more modern interior and more power, and better styling.   And a better badge, it wins all around.  I think the X3 is in trouble without massive improvements.

The X3 is a puff case and could not hold a match to my AWD SS Trailblazer. Driving dynamic, interior room, fit n finish, etc.

I have been in many of my coworkers X3's and they are badge snobs and I have to shake my head at the way overpriced garbage the auto's are. Their driving pedigree is vastly over rated.

Yeah, it's about time Mercedes updated the GLK.... the new GLC finally has the interior worthy of the badge.  Doesn't seem like I can get it with Airmatic though :-(

You think ANY X3 buyer is worried about drag racing a mustang?  You think that is even on their radar? 

At $54k, you're at Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit V8 pricing.... a vehicle just as fast, far more capable off-road, more luxurious, and roomier.    If you spend $53k on a BMW X3, you just have to admit that you're only after the badge.

You are the most clearly biased, arrogant, condescending, closed-minded admin I have ever seen.

You ask if any X3 buyer is worried about drag racing, and then in the same post talk about a Grand Cherokee's off-road capability as if anybody actually exploits it.

Unbelievable.

Edited by Frisky Dingo

The X3 is a puff case and could not hold a match to my AWD SS Trailblazer. Driving dynamic, interior room, fit n finish, etc.

I have been in many of my coworkers X3's and they are badge snobs and I have to shake my head at the way overpriced garbage the auto's are. Their driving pedigree is vastly over rated.

Lol, if you think your Trailblazer has better driving dynamics and fit and finish than an X3 (or anything in this class, really), you are ate up with stupidity.

• Agree 1

You are the most clearly biased, arrogant, condescending, closed-minded admin I have ever seen.

You ask if any X3 buyer is worried about drag racing, and then in the same post talk about a Grand Cherokee's off-road capability as if anybody actually exploits it.

Unbelievable.

?? A whole lot of people buy Grand Cherokees for their off-road abilities regardless of if they ever actually use them. The off-road capability of the GC is a marketing point that sells the vehicle and is a major selling point in the snow-belt.

Approximately zero people buy an X3 so they can beat Ecoboost Mustangs at stop-light drag races... if a buyer is worried about that, they get a 3-series instead.

Anyone else here think those are unfair, biased, or closed-minded statements to make?

Unbelievable.

Seriously? Drew?

..I'm not on all sorts of different forums but I feel like he is pretty fair and very, VERY rarely do I sense condescending-ness. If I do it is because the other poster is being a jack off and he's actually being polite about it.

Guarantee there is a much larger % of people taking a Grand Cherokee off road than there are X3's at drag strips or racing anything, in general. Just say'n.

Lol, if you think your Trailblazer has better driving dynamics and fit and finish than an X3 (or anything in this class, really), you are ate up with stupidity.

You Clearly have never Driven an SS Trailblazer or know anything about them so let me educate you.

AWD SS Trailblazer is a Corvette with an SUV body. Limited production each year during the trailblazer product cycle. This is an SUV that has 400HP 400lbs of torque and has no problem hitting 150mph, stable tight and can eat up roads. An X3 cannot compare to it.

Unbelievable.

?? A whole lot of people buy Grand Cherokees for their off-road abilities regardless of if they ever actually use them. The off-road capability of the GC is a marketing point that sells the vehicle and is a major selling point in the snow-belt.

Approximately zero people buy an X3 so they can beat Ecoboost Mustangs at stop-light drag races... if a buyer is worried about that, they get a 3-series instead.

Anyone else here think those are unfair, biased, or closed-minded statements to make?

Lets also throw in the amount of people who buy Land Rovers for their capabilities and never take them off road and the worst work out they get is going to the ski resort. I doubt anyone thinks about drag racing their supercharged version.

You Clearly have never Driven an SS Trailblazer or know anything about them so let me educate you.

AWD SS Trailblazer is a Corvette with an SUV body. Limited production each year during the trailblazer product cycle. This is an SUV that has 400HP 400lbs of torque and has no problem hitting 150mph, stable tight and can eat up roads. An X3 cannot compare to it.

I"m not so sure about the interior build quality compared to a modern BMW, but the chassis was apparently tuned by Saab for their own version and was apparently surprisingly capable at high speeds.  All the same, the taller body and center of gravity make it unlikely that it would out-handle the shorter wheelbase, shorter height, lighter X3.

Haha, it's obvious you have never driven an X3. I've driven a Trailblazer SS several times. They were okay for their day and age, but they're nothing to write home about. They don't handle or brake particularly well. You're right, there is no comparison. An X3 35i would devour it on a back road. 

Edited by Frisky Dingo
  • Agree 1

Unbelievable.

So it's okay for a Jeep to be marketed for it's off-road potential, even though nobody uses them for that, but it's not okay for BMW to market the X3's sporty driving dynamics? Got it. Nice double standards there.

Regarding the price, it's in line with all the other small lux utes, the vast majority of it performs much, much better than. Even the glorified Equinox that is the SRX runs into the mid-50's.

Unbelievable.

So it's okay for a Jeep to be marketed for it's off-road potential, even though nobody uses them for that, but it's not okay for BMW to market the X3's sporty driving dynamics? Got it. Nice double standards there.

Regarding the price, it's in line with all the other small lux utes, the vast majority of it performs much, much better than. Even the glorified Equinox that is the SRX runs into the mid-50's.

Again, different aspects.  The way vehicles are marketed and the reason for people buying them are quite different.... even if the reasons people give for buying a particular vehicle aren't ultimately used.

SMK stated "The X3 can run with an Ecboost Mustang or a Camaro V6 in a 0-60 sprint"..... and I replied that X3 buyers don't care about stop light drag races........  I'll add that at $54k, there are a lot of better ways to beat a V6 Camaro from a stop light than buying an X3.   The target market of the X3 (Upper middle management, female) absolutely do not care about 0-60.  The fact that the vast majority of X3s sold are 28i or 28d drives home that point (still not slouches, but not barn burners either).  Regardless of what the BMW marketing department says the X3 can do, people aren't buying them for 0-60.  There is huge list of better choices for $54k to get Camaro V6 beating results.... including quite a few at BMW.

Jeep is a whole different story. People buy Jeeps because they "need to go in snow".... nevermind that an Impreza, CX5, or Trax would accomplish the same thing, people go for Grand Cherokees (or any Jeep) primarily for the aura of unstoppableness. People buy Jeeps for 4x4 even if the most use it gets is when they hop a curb at the mall. For years Jeep has sold on this capability in spite of questionable reliability. 

... and I wouldn't buy the current SRX at $54k either.

Again, different aspects.  The way vehicles are marketed and the reason for people buying them are quite different.... even if the reasons people give for buying a particular vehicle aren't ultimately used.

SMK stated "The X3 can run with an Ecboost Mustang or a Camaro V6 in a 0-60 sprint"..... and I replied that X3 buyers don't care about stop light drag races........  I'll add that at $54k, there are a lot of better ways to beat a V6 Camaro from a stop light than buying an X3.   The target market of the X3 (Upper middle management, female) absolutely do not care about 0-60.  The fact that the vast majority of X3s sold are 28i or 28d drives home that point (still not slouches, but not barn burners either).  Regardless of what the BMW marketing department says the X3 can do, people aren't buying them for 0-60.  There is huge list of better choices for $54k to get Camaro V6 beating results.... including quite a few at BMW.

Jeep is a whole different story. People buy Jeeps because they "need to go in snow".... nevermind that an Impreza, CX5, or Trax would accomplish the same thing, people go for Grand Cherokees (or any Jeep) primarily for the aura of unstoppableness. People buy Jeeps for 4x4 even if the most use it gets is when they hop a curb at the mall. For years Jeep has sold on this capability in spite of questionable reliability. 

Well, it goes without saying that there are far better performance vehicles for 54K. It's very hard to get the impression that's what you meant however, when in the very next sentence you bring up the Grand Cherokee. Because that reads like you implying spending 54K for this is foolish when that same money buys a Grand Cherokee.

As for why people buy them, while it certainly isn't for stoplight races against sports cars, you are underestimating how many people DO buy BMW SUV/SAV/CUV's for their driving dynamics. Trust me, there was plenty of bitching about the new X1's move to a FWD platform. There's also no shortage of owners with modded X1's, X3's, X5's and X6's or even who run them at the strip. Whether or not others buy them for that reason, it's pretty much impossible to argue that BMW's utility vehicles up to this point have had marked performance and dynamic advantages over their competitors, In some cases, even Porsche's.

As for the X3 and it's price, if I were in the market for such a vehicle, it's hands down what I would buy. That said, I don't think I'd spend the money on one over the Grand Cherokee myself, and the first X3 was a pile of $h!.

Well, it goes without saying that there are far better performance vehicles for 54K. It's very hard to get the impression that's what you meant however, when in the very next sentence you bring up the Grand Cherokee. Because that reads like you implying spending 54K for this is foolish when that same money buys a Grand Cherokee.

As for why people buy them, while it certainly isn't for stoplight races against sports cars, you are underestimating how many people DO buy BMW SUV/SAV/CUV's for their driving dynamics. Trust me, there was plenty of bitching about the new X1's move to a FWD platform. There's also no shortage of owners with modded X1's, X3's, X5's and X6's or even who run them at the strip. Whether or not others buy them for that reason, it's pretty much impossible to argue that BMW's utility vehicles up to this point have had marked performance and dynamic advantages over their competitors, In some cases, even Porsche's.

As for the X3 and it's price, if I were in the market for such a vehicle, it's hands down what I would buy. That said, I don't think I'd spend the money on one over the Grand Cherokee myself, and the first X3 was a pile of $h!.

Now see? It sounds like we're largely on the same page.  Yes I did bring up the Grand Cherokee Summit Hemi as a better way to spend ones $54k on a crossover.  It's a lot more vehicle for the same price.  It may not corner like the X3, but it will 0-60 just as fast, holds more people more comfortably, holds more cargo, can tow 7,500lbs, and is much better is snow when it gets deep.

I don't have an issue with the lower end X3s.  I know why they exist and I know why they sell.  I just can't see optioning one all the way up to $54k and citing performance as the reason for it. Shopping in this class, I'd opt for the 28d anyway.

I think people do buy the higher end BMW SUVs for their performance characteristics, but I don't include the X1 or X3 in that.  The X1 and X3 are geared mostly towards aspirational types to whom the badge is more important than the ultimate performance. As most of the X3s are sold as 28i or 28d, I think my hypothesis isn't unfounded.  

But for my money, I'd step down to a GC Overland with the Hemi... and even that would be if I really came into money.  My actual purchase will be close, but not exactly the same to that.

Yeah, it's about time Mercedes updated the GLK.... the new GLC finally has the interior worthy of the badge.  Doesn't seem like I can get it with Airmatic though :-(

Airmatic is a $1,900 stand alone option on the GLC.  I love airmatic, I think it is worth the money.  Plus the GLC has the 9-speed transmission standard, no V6 on sale yet.

I am just saying that the X3 has sporty car performance, which most small SUVs do not.  So there is some value in that.  I don't think buyers buy it just for 0-60 time, but it is going to feel quick with good handling when they drive it compared to an Acura RDX or Lexus NX or something.

As far as the Trailblazer SS goes, I found that it did 0-60 in 5.7 seconds with a top speed of 130 mph.  The BMW website says the X3 35i does 0-60 in 5.3 seconds with a top speed of 130 mph.

And again, the GLC450 Sport will be faster than an X3, and there will be an AMG GLC63 with 470 hp, which is pretty nuts for a small SUV.     Personally I would still rather have a car, I don't think a V8 GLC makes sense, when a V8 C-class or E-class makes perfect sense.