Hyundai News:Hyundai To Spin Off Genesis Into Its Own Brand

William Maley

Hyundai announced today that it would be splitting off its Genesis nameplate into a whole new luxury brand that will launch in December.

"To elevate and differentiate the Genesis brand from Hyundai, a distinct design identity, emblem, naming structure, and customer service offering is being established," Hyundai said in a statement.

The Genesis lineup will be comprised of six models by 2020 and have a nomenclature that is comprised the letter 'G' and number of 70, 80, and 90 - designating the market segment the vehicle competes in. The Genesis sedan and Equus will be part of this new brand, along with a new midsize sedan, coupe, and SUV.

To help develop an identity for Genesis, Hyundai is creating the Prestige Design Division. Leading this division will be Luc Donckerwolke, formerly responsible for design at the Volkswagen group.

The Genesis brand will launch in North America, China, Korea, and the Middle East. More countries will be added as the brand grows.

“We have created this new Genesis brand with a complete focus on our customers who want smart ownership experiences that save time and effort, with practical innovations that enhance satisfaction. The Genesis brand will fulfill these expectations, becoming a market leader through our human-centered brand strategy,” said Euisun Chung, Hyundai Motor Company Vice Chairman.

Source: Hyundai

Press Release is on Page 2

Hyundai Motor Launches New Global Luxury Brand, ‘Genesis’

• New ‘Genesis’ brand will compete with the world’s leading luxury car brands
  • Six-model line-up begins roll-out from December catering for ‘new luxury’ customers, delivering personalized and human-centered experiences
  • Refined performance, athletic elegance in design and human-focused innovation will elevate the Genesis brand

November 4, 2015 - Hyundai Motor has announced an all-new global luxury brand – Genesis – that will deliver ‘human-centered’ luxury through a range of new models that feature the highest standards of performance, design and innovation.

Created for a new generation of discerning consumers, Genesis will be a stand-alone brand that operates alongside the company’s popular Hyundai marque. Capitalizing on its success in the fast-growing global car market, Hyundai Motor will launch six new Genesis models by 2020 and will compete with the world’s most renowned luxury car brands.

The Genesis brand seeks to create a new definition of luxury, one that will provide a new platform for future mobility centered on people. By anticipating human needs at every touch point, Genesis models will embody four key aspects: Human-focused innovation, refined and balanced performance, athletic elegance in design and hassle-free customer experience.

“We have created this new Genesis brand with a complete focus on our customers who want smart ownership experiences that save time and effort, with practical innovations that enhance satisfaction. The Genesis brand will fulfill these expectations, becoming a market leader through our human-centered brand strategy,” said Euisun Chung, Hyundai Motor Company Vice Chairman.

Genesis models will boast outstanding driving dynamics and design, with innovations tailored to closely-meet the needs of customers. The new model line-up will distance itself from the traditional technological overload of brand-focused competitors, concentrating instead on a personalized, hassle-free customer experience. Continuing the customer-oriented approach that flows through every Genesis model, sales and service staff will provide rapid and attentive service to customer’s requests.

To elevate and differentiate the Genesis brand from Hyundai, a distinct design identity, emblem, naming structure and customer service offering is being established.

Genesis models will be badged with a new wing-type emblem, redesigned from the version used on the current Genesis model to create an even more luxurious look. This emblem firmly cements the Genesis models as a collective family of luxury models under the Genesis nameplate.

The Genesis brand will also adopt a new alphanumeric naming structure. Future models will be named by combining the letter ‘G’ for Genesis with a number, 90, 80 or 70 etc., representing the segment.

Woong-Chul Yang, Head of Hyundai Motor R&D Center and Vice Chairman of Hyundai Motor said, “The Genesis models will provide technological innovation, excellent driving performance and luxury to customers. Every Genesis model will be created with the needs of our customers in mind, so the resulting car will perfectly meet their needs without any unnecessary burden or excess.”

Fitted with the latest proactive safety technologies, intuitive convenience features and IT connectivity, Genesis models are engineered to provide excellent ride comfort while retaining confident sportiness.

To develop a distinctive and differentiated design for the new Genesis brand vehicles, Hyundai Motor has created a Prestige Design Division. From mid-2016 Luc Donckerwolke, who was previously responsible for the design of Audi, Bentley, Lamborghini, SEAT and Skoda models at the Volkswagen Group, will lead this new division alongside his role as Head of the Hyundai Motor Design Center. The work of the new Prestige Design Division will be overseen by Peter Schreyer, as part of his group-wide design responsibilities as President and Chief Design Officer (CDO) of Hyundai Motor Group.

Peter Schreyer commented, “In creating the design signature of Genesis brand cars, we set out to display confidence and originality, creating highly desirable products that present new charm through innovative styling and proportions.”

The name ‘Genesis’, which also means new beginnings, hints at the new values and standards that the brand will bring to the global luxury car market. Initially on sale in the Korean, Chinese, North American and Middle Eastern luxury car markets, the Genesis brand will expand its reach to Europe and other parts of Asia as the model range grows to full strength.

Setting the brand’s cars apart from competitors, innovation will begin with the consumer, with customer requirements directing development. This philosophy echoes the vision of Hyundai Motor to be a ‘lifetime partner in automobiles and beyond’, with the ‘Modern Premium’ brand direction of Hyundai reinterpreted for the new Genesis marque.

Since the launch of its first cars in 1967, Hyundai Motor has grown quickly to become one of the world’s leading automakers. The strategic decision to create an all-new luxury car brand is recognition of the company’s strengths and its global ambitions. By introducing new customers to Hyundai Motor and elevating its competitiveness, the new Genesis brand will enable more people to experience the premium value of Hyundai Motor.

View full article

Welcome Buick, Acura, Lincoln, Lexus, Infinity competitor. I expect them to eat some of these brands lunch.

Me too.

And finally...with Genesis as its own brand...they will.

I read that even the Equus sedan from KIA will become a Genesis model.

Of course some tweaking may have to be made to polish them up...buy hey...what manufacture has 100% completely flawless vehicles?

The dealership network would be shared with Hyundai dealerships....

That is OK...Unike Lexus, Acura and Infinti who started their dealership network  independently from their lesser counterparts from the get go...hey...it works for Buick...

I think this is a good idea and they'll be able to compete with the 2nd their luxury brands.  Splitting off into the Genesis brand will make the cars more appealing and make them stand out from Hyundai.  Horrible naming scheme though, G70, G80, G90?  That is boring and just copies Infiniti, which is boring as it is.

Oddly enough, Hyundai builds as many V8 sedans as Lincoln, Acura, Infiniti and Cadillac combined.  They should put some a turbo or supercharger on the Tau V8, they need a V8 sports coupe for sure.

It would be neat if they did a crossover off the Genesis sedan platform, rather than trying to dress up a Santa Fe.  But then again the Lexus RX is a dressed up Highlander and people think Christ jumped off the cross to build it.

It's quite possible that Hyundai could become the globes largest luxury marque, and will do it with sales in countries you wouldn't think to have large luxury markets.

Markets that the Germans and us makers either won't have access to, or will be too high priced for.

In the US this is just an Acura redeux, but I will say this. When I went to test drive the genesis sedan a few months back, it didn't really make for a great shopping experience when the ok/decent Genesis was in the same showroom and on the same lot as their cheap $h!boxes (accent, Elantra, sonata). And the staff is the same too. That's like a guy selling at a Suzuki store trying to sell a BMW 135i with M package to a rich stuck up punk and his mom.

I think I see a bit of a Lexus resurgence, but Infiniti and Acura won't ever really take off again. You still get those peeps that want Asian. Hyundais costs are so low it won't hurts them to try to lauch this brand. And it can't hurt the perception of the mother brand.

As much as I don't like this, it will probably work out for them. Not huge but check back in ten years and you'll see what I mean.

That appears to be the current Genesis logo used in other markets. It looks a little too much like Bentley's logo.

This appears to be the right move given the number of Genesis owners who replace the Hyundai H logo with the Genesis logo.

I am sure the owners of our dealership have been briefed, but those of us lower on the food chain are wondering what this means for us.  As it is, we don't keep Genesis models on the lot, but by order only.  The Equus is a Hyundai, not a Kia.  The retired father of our owner drives an Equus, it is a grander car than Buick's best, another brand we sell.

I can see this working for them, and I can see them being a threat to Infiniti at least, if not Lexus. 

The naming scheme sucks horribly.  But the Genesis name has a certain amount of recognition.  Clever of them to begin how they did, imo.

I am sure the owners of our dealership have been briefed, but those of us lower on the food chain are wondering what this means for us.  As it is, we don't keep Genesis models on the lot, but by order only.  The Equus is a Hyundai, not a Kia.  The retired father of our owner drives an Equus, it is a grander car than Buick's best, another brand we sell.

I can see this working for them, and I can see them being a threat to Infiniti at least, if not Lexus. 

The naming scheme sucks horribly.  But the Genesis name has a certain amount of recognition.  Clever of them to begin how they did, imo.

The Kia K900 is on the Equus platform, I think that's what they meant.

MY 2017, maybe?  I assume they will rebadge & MCE the current Genesis sedan and Equus to start with, then add a CUV or two..   The Genesis coupe (is it still even in production, don't see them around) would make more sense to stay a Hyundai badged model...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I invite everyone to re-read the first sentence in the OP.  :AH-HA:

'launch in December'...a press conference to announce the brand..doesn't say anything about when they will have product in showrooms and on lots.

• Agree 1

I invite everyone to re-read the first sentence in the OP.  :AH-HA:

'launch in December'...a press conference to announce the brand..doesn't say anything about when they will have product in showrooms and on lots.

Exactly.  Do the VINs change in december? will there be any standalone Genesis dealerships in December?

.... or... more likely.... did someone at corporate just order new business cards?