Jaguar News: Jaguar's SVR Badge Is Not Exclusive To V8 Engines

As strict emission standards are coming into effect, Jaguar's Special Vehicle Operations (SVO) is looking forward and considering their options as to how to do performance vehicles in the future.

Speaking with CarAdvice, Jaguar’s director of public relations Richard Agnew said SVO will turning its focus to other, smaller engines in the near future.

“We can’t possibly say that SVO has to be V8, with the way the world is changing and also the way engine technology is changing as well,” said Agnew.

“Who would’ve thought that 400 horsepower [298kW] out of a four cylinder is possible? So it doesn’t have to be a V8. What it needs to be, though, is have enough over the derivative below it so it does have the credentials to wear the SVR badge.”

A number of manufacturers such as BMW have dropped V8 engines in some of their vehicles to make way for turbo six-cylinders, Mercedes' AMG division show that V8s still have a place and hints at a possible direction for future SVR vehicles.

“You see AMG designing a new V8 and I think you look at the C-Class AMG and versus the [bMW] M and I think they would disappointed they went to a six and AMG have 100hp on them… that new [Mercedes] V8 they’ve got is a state-of-the-art biturbo with super-low emissions, it’s a great engine,” said Agnew.

But Agnew admits that SVO could look into electrification for future models.

"We stated we are going to have an electric car. One thing about electric cars is that their performance is, dare I say, 'electric', and I think they are some of the game changers in terms of torque delivery and power delivery. In the future, when we have electric cars ,what will an SVR version of it be? It will be bloody quick, but it's too early to say [more]."

At the moment, Jaguar only has one SVR model; the 2017 F-Type SVR Coupe and Convertible with 575 horsepower coming from a supercharged V8.

Source: CarAdvice

View full article

Very Cool about looking at options, but interesting the point he makes about the super low emissions on the Bi-Turbo V8 compared to BMW going to I6 turbo.

Interesting, :)