2016 (all new) Chevy Cruze LT 1.4t automatic

I know the Accord and Civic are both loud.

Cruze that is outgoing was fleeted out a lot the last 2-3 years, so to cut back on fleet with the new body style only makes sense.

The old one is still a fine car and I'd have no problem owning a brand new one today.  I actually prefer it's more upright look compared to the low slung 2016 model, but that is just a personal preference.  The good news is the old model continues on as the Cruze Limited for the rental fleets. 

• 3 weeks later...

But none of the cars were configured to matching price points.

The Sentra of all vehicles was the one actually fully loaded.

It was a weird test, and I do believe unfair to both the Cruze and Civic.

Then again, look at the point spreads. The top 3, they're pretty much dang bang 'on. You can't go wrong with either....but I would have to really pick either the Mazda or the Cruze. 

• 2 weeks later...

After GM's slew of hits in the performance car category and the new Malibu, I had high expectations for the new Cruze. Was somewhat let down. It's a nice car, and it rides well and is now roomy, but not very enjoyable to drive.

Can't hit a home run with ever at-bat...  Sometimes you strike out, sometimes you'll single.. etc..lol 

I can't argue with the 3 being in 1st place, but the Cruze should have taken 2nd over the Civic. 

^^^^^^^

read that, I do believe MT's result was much better than C/D.  I am fine with them giving the Civic the #1 rating because the Civic can lay claim to being the better car in a lot of ways.  For me where it loses it is road noise, feels cheaper, and the fact that the Cruze is a much better road car.  So for most more mature drivers and those that value quiet, the Cruze wins.  Civic has the larger space, style points, and such.

Both are great cars.  I could drive a Civic.  I could drive a Cruze.  I am really glad MT didn't fawn on the Mazda.....Mazda's stuff is overrated.

Edited by regfootball

• 1 month later...

It's all good, isn't it?  I agree with most of your observations - telepathic, in some ways.  I was in the last-version of the Cruze and couldn't believe how much nicer it was than, say, a Cobalt or a Cavalier, or even the outgoing Cruze ... all the way around.  If this new version has bumped up the acoustics to a higher level, as well as the build quality, it will be a winner indeed.

I think that this car could make inroads into the Civic market, for example.  In fact, the Cruze got better looking and the Civic got uglier.  I also think that, since Chevy is now sharing that design vocabulary across their main cars (Cruze, Malibu, and Impala), the new trademark roofline and proportions of hood/cabin/rear deck work best on this new Cruze.

I like the new dashboard quite a bit and the center stack is great.  It keeps the Verano interior packaging alive, to some extent, especially in the center stack.  However, while comfortable, the seats aren't as detailed and one "fine" experience as are the ones in the Verano.  The other thing you mentioned is something I immediately noticed when I went through the trim details - the LT doesn't have a leather wrapped steering wheel.  It should.  One shouldn't have to get into the "premier" model just to get a leather wrapped wheel.  Also, in the LT, the power seat has to be bundled into a "convenience package," which costs over $1,100.  What if you just want the damn power seat?

I am excited about the prospect of driving the new Cruze, ideally in LT sedan form.

Nice write-up, reg.  You covered all the bases. 

• 1 month later...

Local dealer has had three.  Black LT, Kinetic Blue LT/RS, and Cajun Red Premiere.  The red Premiere was unlocked on Sunday, so I jumped in it and pretended for a bit.

I can see now why the lower trim Cruze has better fuel mileage ratings than the Premiere... tiny wheels.  The Elantra Eco has tiny wheels too... and the Tucson Eco.

But I still want wheels that fill out the fenders.  AND FOGLAMPS DAMMIT.  So... Cruze Premiere RS hatch it is... even with stop/start and autotragic.  In Arctic Blue with Atmosphere leather.

I think my mind is ready to stop dallying on this.  But the Bottle Green on the '17 Beetle is FANTASTIC.  :)

On 4/18/2016 at 2:20 PM, dfelt said:

Very cool, so awesome to hear that GM is building a worthy compact auto for the masses.

Agreed.

12 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Local dealer has had three.  Black LT, Kinetic Blue LT/RS, and Cajun Red Premiere.  The red Premiere was unlocked on Sunday, so I jumped in it and pretended for a bit.

I can see now why the lower trim Cruze has better fuel mileage ratings than the Premiere... tiny wheels.  The Elantra Eco has tiny wheels too... and the Tucson Eco.

But I still want wheels that fill out the fenders.  AND FOGLAMPS DAMMIT.  So... Cruze Premiere RS hatch it is... even with stop/start and autotragic.  In Arctic Blue with Atmosphere leather.

I think my mind is ready to stop dallying on this.  But the Bottle Green on the '17 Beetle is FANTASTIC.  :)

I like the Cruze a bit better. But I actually am thinking VOLT for the next family car.

On 8/20/2016 at 0:44 PM, trinacriabob said:

It's all good, isn't it?  I agree with most of your observations - telepathic, in some ways.  I was in the last-version of the Cruze and couldn't believe how much nicer it was than, say, a Cobalt or a Cavalier, or even the outgoing Cruze ... all the way around.  If this new version has bumped up the acoustics to a higher level, as well as the build quality, it will be a winner indeed.

I think that this car could make inroads into the Civic market, for example.  In fact, the Cruze got better looking and the Civic got uglier.  I also think that, since Chevy is now sharing that design vocabulary across their main cars (Cruze, Malibu, and Impala), the new trademark roofline and proportions of hood/cabin/rear deck work best on this new Cruze.

I like the new dashboard quite a bit and the center stack is great.  It keeps the Verano interior packaging alive, to some extent, especially in the center stack.  However, while comfortable, the seats aren't as detailed and one "fine" experience as are the ones in the Verano.  The other thing you mentioned is something I immediately noticed when I went through the trim details - the LT doesn't have a leather wrapped steering wheel.  It should.  One shouldn't have to get into the "premier" model just to get a leather wrapped wheel.  Also, in the LT, the power seat has to be bundled into a "convenience package," which costs over $1,100.  What if you just want the damn power seat?

I am excited about the prospect of driving the new Cruze, ideally in LT sedan form.

Nice write-up, reg.  You covered all the bases. 

Agree completely, this thing really is MUCH nicer than the new Civic.

On 7/13/2016 at 7:14 PM, regfootball said:

^^^^^^^

read that, I do believe MT's result was much better than C/D.  I am fine with them giving the Civic the #1 rating because the Civic can lay claim to being the better car in a lot of ways.  For me where it loses it is road noise, feels cheaper, and the fact that the Cruze is a much better road car.  So for most more mature drivers and those that value quiet, the Cruze wins.  Civic has the larger space, style points, and such.

Both are great cars.  I could drive a Civic.  I could drive a Cruze.  I am really glad MT didn't fawn on the Mazda.....Mazda's stuff is overrated.

We looked at the three the last 4 times I bought a car, and then didn't buy it.  Agreed on a little over rated. And I am disappointed at how Honda has been cheapening things...it really shows in their products.