Chevrolet News:Spying: Are You the Next Camaro Z28?

With the sixth-generation Chevrolet Camaro sitting on dealer lots and the ZL1 being shown at New York, there is something still missing: The mad, track-oriented Camaro Z28. It seems GM is working on that model at the Nurburgring thanks to some new spy shots.

This Camaro test mule is wearing some extreme aero parts such as deep canards on the front bumper and a massive rear wing. The pictures also reveal a set of larger brakes and wide rear tires. We're guessing the tires could be a set of Pirelli PZero Trofeo Rs - the same tires the last Camaro Z28 wore.

Expect GM to do a major weight loss program for the new Z28 with racing seats, carbon fiber, and no air conditioning.

No one has any idea what is lying under the hood of this mule, but we're expecting a V8 of some form.

Source: CarScoops, Road & Track

View full article

Well you have your choice you want lower lap times or you want smaller wings? 

While not stylish they serve a purpose and are functional. Most real down force aides are not very stylish. Just look at the Daytona as in the day everyone though it was horrible and it too 3 years to clear them out of the dealers at discounts. Today they are appreciated because they served a function. 

They may also make these options so you can have them if you want down force or you can opt for a smaller spoiler that is not functional. 

Might also look close at the wing stands and bases. I just have a wild hair idea that wing may be movable up and down. It may rise up with a switch or with speed. 

Edited by hyperv6

Al Oppenheiser himself said that he wants to put the boots to whatever Ford puts on the road. Since we know that the GT350 isn't especially light, even in R trim, it makes sense to throw as much carbon-fibre on a Z/28 as possible. Also keep in mind that the LT smallblocks will have been out for three-four years when this debuts, which means that a hotter version is certainly plausible.

In other words... roll Camaro.

It will probably be one bad-ass car but the raised spoiler and the additional downforce bits up front don't look the greatest to me. 

I like the wing and down force lip, that said, I wish they would lower the side window lip as I am not a fan of the bunker look.

Over all I will say this auto will Rock :metal: 

While not stylish they serve a purpose and are functional. Most real down force aides are not very stylish. Just look at the Daytona as in the day everyone though it was horrible and it too 3 years to clear them out of the dealers at discounts. Today they are appreciated because they served a function. 

They may also make these options so you can have them if you want down force or you can opt for a smaller spoiler that is not functional. 

Might also look close at the wing stands and bases. I just have a wild hair idea that wing may be movable up and down. It may rise up with a switch or with speed. 

Oh I completely understand it is functional and will make for one bad-ass car I just don't think it looks the greatest, mostly just the wing. 

I'm pretty sure the whole "race car bits" are stylish. You don't see as many people taking tings off their cars as much as people adding things to make them look more like race cars. 

I liked what GM did with the last Z/28 and the Z06 when it comes to the aero-bits. They kept the spoiler attached to the trunk lids and there weren't the "as gaudy" winglets on the front fascia. 

The more I look at it the more It doesn't look bad but just a tad over done, even though it is all clearly functional. Spoiler is just too big, and same w/ the front fascia..just too much. If it was all toned back a little it would look better, imo. 

Oh I completely understand it is functional and will make for one bad-ass car I just don't think it looks the greatest, mostly just the wing. 

I'm pretty sure the whole "race car bits" are stylish. You don't see as many people taking tings off their cars as much as people adding things to make them look more like race cars. 

I liked what GM did with the last Z/28 and the Z06 when it comes to the aero-bits. They kept the spoiler attached to the trunk lids and there weren't the "as gaudy" winglets on the front fascia. 

The more I look at it the more It doesn't look bad but just a tad over done, even though it is all clearly functional. Spoiler is just too big, and same w/ the front fascia..just too much. If it was all toned back a little it would look better, imo.

If they are for styling they are too much. If they are for real balance and function then they are just right.

Also if the wing retracts then it is a non issue.

I think you will find this car will be a step above the last Z as it has taken the gloves off.

We do not need the car to be like the Z06 where it has so much more to offer but lacks the down force of what the competitor cars have. The last test of the 911 and Viper track cars vs. the Z06 were not as good as they could have been as the lack of down force on the Z06 hurt it.

I hate to be the nay-sayer on this one.  But I don't think there will be a Z/28.  Unless GM has something up their sleeve with an LT1 engine update where the Z/28 is the first model to get that power plant, I don't see how it would fit in the current line-up.  There are no other engines that the Z/28 can use that are unique for the Camaro and all of the extra "Z06" type suspension parts are pretty much in/on the ZL1.  But will GM FINALLY make that mid-engine ZR1 Corvette and the Z/28 will get the engine?

• Agree 1

Very Interesting, watched the crash section a couple times, seems the back wheel locked up and then they braked and it went it going before the wheels freed up and started to spin. I suspect either the rear brakes locked up or some other failure, course this early on in development, they will get these bugs sorted out.

Nice thing is it can clearly take a hit and stay together.

Yeah I saw the driver rear lock up for just a second. Could be many things but on that turn it is the inside tire so might be as simple as a tad too much rear brake dialed in. 

It really did take a decent hit and I know we didn't see the wrecked side much but still seemed pretty solid. 

Well I suspect that they may have been working on brake bias and may have got it wrong. There were three people in the car and generally one drives, one read the telemetry and one can make adjustments on the fly. Today's cars use electronic proportioning systems and can be adjusted on the fly. 

The car did take a hard wack but in the shots it did hold up really well. Even the door still opened enough so they could get out. Not long a go a crash like that would have left the side really chewed up and undrivable even as far as they went. 

I bet they could have finished the lap if it were not for fears of hidden damage on the front suspension. 

This crash is nothing new. We have seen GM crash a CTSV and Corvette in the last couple years at the ring. This is a good indicator that they are taking it to the limit in their testing. Generally it does not happen on the corner with the spy photographer but S*% happens. 

If you don't crash some you aren't trying hard enough. 

• Agree 2

I hate to be the nay-sayer on this one.  But I don't think there will be a Z/28.  Unless GM has something up their sleeve with an LT1 engine update where the Z/28 is the first model to get that power plant, I don't see how it would fit in the current line-up.  There are no other engines that the Z/28 can use that are unique for the Camaro and all of the extra "Z06" type suspension parts are pretty much in/on the ZL1.  But will GM FINALLY make that mid-engine ZR1 Corvette and the Z/28 will get the engine?

There will be a Z/28 as you are looking at it. Who has said we have seen all the engines?

We also will see a Mid Engine Vette much sooner or later. Reports are now that a dealer has said it is coming. Which most of us already understand. The price is still about what I had heard last summer under $180K but they said TT V6. I am not sure about that but seeing how the IMSA rules are now that could be a possibility. 

Also the one thing that also fit is the new mid engine car is still using much of the C7 platform. Word was during the C7 development that they wanted to make a platform that could do both front and mid engine at the same time. It sounds like this still may be what they did. 

To learn much about the C8 you need to go back to around the Bail out as this is when much of the work was started till it was set aside for the C7 we have today. This is not a new program and has been worked on while the C7 was going on. 

Sure hope you are right.  A new V8 engine in the stable would be awesome.

Had to say what all we will see. A new NA higher HP engine would not be hard to do. The only question anymore is where to use it with less and less cars using the Chevy V8.  Cadillac may not be using them in 5 years? 

Who knows Buick could be picking them up?

Edited by hyperv6

That would be cool, too.  The C7.R racing engine is a 5.5L v8.  Maybe the Z/28 gets that block?  Such a move would be more of the original engine choice for the Z/28 with the smaller displacement because of the rule limitations and high revving performance.