Mercedes-Benz USA Reports May Sales of 32,567

ATLANTA, June 1, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Mercedes-Benz USA (MBUSA) today reported May sales of 29,299 vehicles, down 1.0% for the month. Mercedes-Benz Vans reported 2,848 units, and smart reported 420 units for the month, bringing MBUSA grand total to 32,567 vehicles for the month and 149,167 sold year-to-date.

"Sales continue at a steady pace in the second-quarter," said Dietmar Exler, president and CEO of MBUSA. "Excitement is building as we look toward the coming months with the launch of three new dream cars, including the S-Class Cabriolet, SL and SLC Roadsters and the all-new E-Class Sedan."

Mercedes-Benz volume leaders in May included the C-Class, GLC and GLE model lines. The C-Class took the lead at 6,954, followed by the GLC at 4,183. The GLE rounded out the top three with 4,003 units sold.

Mercedes-AMG high-performance models sold 1,616 units in May, up 34.6% from last year (1,201).

Separately, Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned (MBCPO) models recorded sales of 11,327. On a year-to-date basis, MBCPO sold 50,626 vehicles, an increase of 1.0%.

MERCEDES-BENZ USA 
Sales -- May 2016

Mercedes-Benz Passenger Vehicles

May-16

May-15

Monthly %

YTD 2016

YTD 2015

Yearly %

B-CLASS

-82.4%

-71.4%

CLA

-18.0%

-17.5%

C-CLASS

-6.2%

-13.1%

E-CLASS/CLS

-17.1%

-13.5%

S-CLASS

-21.4%

-22.5%

SLK

-38.2%

-5.4%

SL

-2.9%

-15.3%

AMG GT

-

-

*SLS AMG

-

-

-

GLA

-12.6%

9.2%

GLC/GLK

63.5%

73.8%

GLE/M-CLASS

0.3%

6.4%

GL/GLS

44.6%

-5.7%

G-CLASS 

28.1%

21.0%

TOTAL

-1.0%

-1.9%

Vans1

2.9%

14.3%

smart

-49.8%

-23.3%

MBUSA 

Combined Total

May-16

May-15

Monthly %

YTD 2016

YTD 2015

Yearly %

GRAND TOTAL

-1.9%

-1.1%

1Mercedes-Benz, Freightliner Sprinter and Metris Vans are sold and marketed in the U.S. by Mercedes-Benz USA and Daimler Vans USA, respectively.

*out of production

WOW, So the B class is a FAILURE at those sales numbers, proving Chevy buyers do not want a MB product. but over all sales are declined across the board except for the GLC, GL and G class CUV/SUVs.

We are in an auto slump.

They only sell the B-class in California because state law says they have to sell an electric car.

They need to new E-class to turn around sedan sales. Good thing they have 5 crossovers/SUVs to capitalize on consumer preferences.

They only sell the B-class in California because state law says they have to sell an electric car.

They need to new E-class to turn around sedan sales. Good thing they have 5 crossovers/SUVs to capitalize on consumer preferences.

Your statement about the B-Class is wrong, according to the MBUSA web site you can get them in Oregon and Washington plus Colorado which I checked.

For the Seattle and Lynnwood dealership they have 42 B250e models between them ranging in price from $35K to $50K for their 85 mile range.

I am willing to bet that they will get heavily discounted when the BOLT comes out.

Compliance cars suffer from obsolescence or being overpriced all the time. Ask the ELR about that.

Plus, despite how half-hearted Mercedes seems at times....I fully think they expected the B-Class EV to struggle and probably accepting any development work as cost of doing business. 

Now, they have their new as-of-yet unseen and untested EVs coming by 2020. Those are the ones to watch. And the Porsche Mission E as well.

But also demographics - car sales are slowing.

And think about this way - if ride-sharing becomes the new norm of car ownership in the distant future, where it's not a pay for holding on to, but paying to merely access - would not one expect fleet sales to jump? (That's the meta however)

That B-class EV probably loses money, so they probably prefer that it doesn't sell.

A new E-class could sell 5-6,000 a month that reverses that, and the C-class coupe is hitting dealers, maybe that helps there.  I do think they need to sell an S450 with a $87,000 price to steal some of the sales off the 7-series and A8.    It is tough to sell sedans anymore though, people want crossovers.

That B-class EV probably loses money, so they probably prefer that it doesn't sell.

A new E-class could sell 5-6,000 a month that reverses that, and the C-class coupe is hitting dealers, maybe that helps there.  I do think they need to sell an S450 with a $87,000 price to steal some of the sales off the 7-series and A8.    It is tough to sell sedans anymore though, people want crossovers.

You cannot say that they prefer that the B class does not sell. They have millions wrapped up in production equipment, built product, etc. At this point they need to sell what they have and based on the Features / Spec, the BOLT is superior in every way to the B Class. MB needs to clean house and get ready for the competition cleaning their minimal EV portfolio.

You cannot say that they prefer that the B class does not sell. They have millions wrapped up in production equipment, built product, etc. At this point they need to sell what they have and based on the Features / Spec, the BOLT is superior in every way to the B Class. MB needs to clean house and get ready for the competition cleaning their minimal EV portfolio.

Only a Mercedes Benz fanboy would say that losing money is a good thing when if this involved anyone else, he would have a field day with it.

LOL that isn't how that works, brother.

• Agree 1

Don't bother explaining the obvious. When you have magical powers like Mercedes, you can lose money and its still okay. No one else has this ability.

Yeah, that's not at all what I was alluding to. Mercedes knew quite well EV about obsolescence, but they still want the damn thing to sell.

BECAUSE MERCEDES WANTS TO WIN IN EVERY SEGMENT, RIGHT?!!! Unless it's something they cannot achieve all-day, everyday, all the time, everytime.

• Agree 2

Don't bother explaining the obvious. When you have magical powers like Mercedes, you can lose money and its still okay. No one else has this ability.

I mean there are some fanboy things that get thrown around but to say, "That B-class EV probably loses money, so they probably prefer that it doesn't sell. Is just ridiculous!

• Agree 1

I mean there are some fanboy things that get thrown around but to say, "That B-class EV probably loses money, so they probably prefer that it doesn't sell. Is just ridiculous!

Agreed. This is why I can't take him seriously at all. You want to be a fan? Fine. Want to be a blind fan full of double standards? I have no more time for that.

Dieter Zetsche has said electric cars are not profitable, they are losing money on their electric cars. I am sure they would rather sell a GLC that makes money rather than a B-class that doesn't.

For whatever it is worth the B-class range is going to be increased to 200-250 miles in the next few years.

Color me skeptical if I don't take the head of Daimler on his word. That is just PR speak for "we really don't know how to make money on EVs". It doesn't mean that there isn't a way.

I am sure there is a way, but Mercedes is not making profit on EVs, Tesla has never turned a profit.  I would guess Nissan isn't making profit on the Leaf, and GM isn't making money on the Volt. Eventually EV's will be profitable, probably none are right now

Tesla would be making very decent returns if they weren't hell bent on increasing their production of vehicles five-fold in just two years, or building a supercharger network or building a gigafactory.

Tesla is not supposed to be making a profit until it cools down, and becomes a stable business that isn't going through huge spurts of growth. So take that away, yes electric cars are right now not profitable. Why? Because the manufacturing base isn't there for it just yet, and automakers have too much vested into their conventional nameplates yet still.