So Let me Get this Straight.. LAPD, with Taxpayer Money, Chose BMW i3 over U.S. Built Volt and Cmax?

Here are some German police cars:  Hmmm, looks like they use the Volt's Opel cousin over there (among many others)

toyota-prius-police-germany-berlin-6.jpg

Many Opel Insignia Wagons

original.jpg

P90203782-the-bmw-i3-police-car-germany-

Seems they like the A-class, proving a hatch back can be a police car.    Hmm, what about a Focus ST hatch police car here?

german_police_car_by_donzonda-d6da57g.jp

GM could bring the Insignia/Regal wagon to sell to police agencies here, with a 1.6 liter turbo it would get way better mileage than an Explorer, probably cost the same, maybe less.  Lots of cargo room too.   Cruze RS Hatchback, and I guess Germany proved the Volt can be a police car.  The Volt wouldn't have the space advantage of a wagon or hatch or crossover though.  The Bolt could work.

Here are some German police cars:  Hmmm, looks like they use the Volt's Opel cousin over there (among many others)

toyota-prius-police-germany-berlin-6.jpg

Many Opel Insignia Wagons

original.jpg

P90203782-the-bmw-i3-police-car-germany-

Seems they like the A-class, proving a hatch back can be a police car.    Hmm, what about a Focus ST hatch police car here?

german_police_car_by_donzonda-d6da57g.jp

Again, you cherry pick. Let me help you out there.

Notice that two of them are Charger platform sharing E Class's.

post-13324-0-77711700-1465685420_thumb.j

post-13324-0-32798700-1465685458_thumb.j

post-13324-0-49976800-1465685488_thumb.j

post-13324-0-58154200-1465685510_thumb.j

Again, it helps when you tell the whole truth, not just the truth that is convenient to you.

One of those was a C-class wagon from the early 2000s, the E-class sedan is a 2003-2006 car, the 5-series and e-class wagons are newer, the newest E-class police car I saw pictures of were from before the 2014 model year refresh.  I would guess both have the 4-cylinder diesel, so those are 40+ mpg vehicles.    But with the emissions becoming a big deal, it looks like they want more electric or hybrid power now.

One of those was a C-class wagon from the early 2000s, the E-class sedan is a 2003-2006 car, the 5-series and e-class wagons are newer, the newest E-class police car I saw pictures of were from before the 2014 model year refresh. I would guess both have the 4-cylinder diesel, so those are 40+ mpg vehicles. But with the emissions becoming a big deal, it looks like they want more electric or hybrid power now.

The year is irrelevant because they still use them (the 5 Series is heavily used in sedan and wagon form). I have family in Germany that can back this up. What you are missing in your quest to ignore the facts is that sure, smaller cars in the mix would be a good idea in large metro cities. However, that does not mean that they should completely replace the larger PPV cars and SUVs for the many reasons already covered here.

Edited by surreal1272

What works for Europe works for Europe. 

First of all, in Germany, any road rager or speed demon can do whatever they want to quench their need for speed on the autobahns. 

Also, many of the streets are really narrow, a lot of turnpikes and toll roads. And you can't even go a large distance without crossing some kind of border. It's very hard to have a traditional police chase, unless you're Bond and there's bad guys on your tail.

And second of all.... SMK? The following is what is being debated over. Read carefully:

We're not talking about what is a vehicle worthy for police use for police duty. The vehicles in question are meant for "community outreach and official police business."

Sounds like cars for a bunch of lip service. There's no need for large vehicles with officers armed to the teeth. What there is a need though is for some good sense in the procurement/purchasing/supply decisions where there's already excellent vehicles available that are made in USA for a 'green fleet' for that purpose.

Here are new E-class police cars, and they are for Autobahn police.  Which does make sense because you need high speed capability, in the 120-150 mph range.  This car can do that.  In America we don't really need police cars that do 140 mph, because our speed limits are 60 and 70 in a lot of places.

api_3.jpg

Looking at the German police cars, the E-class is on the big side of them.  A Malibu or Fusion is the size of an E-class, I don't see why police need larger than a mid-size car.  And maybe the police departments want cheaper, more fuel efficient cars but the Big 3 only want to sell full size products to them because full sizers have better profit margins.

That is almost my bigger complaint.  The Taurus might be dead now without fleet sales, so by Ford only offering a Taurus police car, and no Fusion police package, they force departments to pay more for the larger, thirstier vehicle, and basically the tax payer gets to subsidize keeping the Ford Taurus factory open since the general consumer isn't buying them.  I bet if Ford sold a Fusion Police package for $4,000 less than the current Taurus Police package and offered them side by side, the departments would buy the Fusion at 5-1 at least.

First of all, in Germany, any road rager or speed demon can do whatever they want to quench their need for speed on the autobahns. 

Also, many of the streets are really narrow, a lot of turnpikes and toll roads. And you can't even go a large distance without crossing some kind of border. It's very hard to have a traditional police chase, unless you're Bond and there's bad guys on your tail.

And second of all.... SMK? The following is what is being debated over. Read carefully:

We're not talking about what is a vehicle worthy for police use for police duty. The vehicles in question are meant for "community outreach and official police business."

Sounds like cars for a bunch of lip service. There's no need for large vehicles with officers armed to the teeth. What there is a need though is for some good sense in the procurement/purchasing/supply decisions where there's already excellent vehicles available that are made in USA for a 'green fleet' for that purpose.

I 100% disagree with your assertion that they don't need large cars. The need has been clearly illustrated. Just because you don't believe it doesn't make it so.

They must not need that large of a car if they just bought 100 BMW i3's considering the i3 is 10 inches shorter than a Chevy Trax.  If the i3 is large enough for the LAPD, a Chevy Trax is more than large enough for their needs.

I 100% disagree with your assertion that they don't need large cars. The need has been clearly illustrated. Just because you don't believe it doesn't make it so.

Of course police departments need big vehicles. But a "green fleet" for lip service to show off a BMW?  I'm talking about these vehicles - the EVs or hybrids. The ones NOT used for patrolling or highway policing or whatever that requires heavy use. This LAPD fleet is for PR purposes. Not real police use. There the BMW is a completely useless vehicle - might as well only be used for parking ticket operations.

SMK the thing you are failing to realize is these officers don't wear t shirts and dockers.Their vehicles have far more equipment than the Europeans do. A vest adds about 3" girth an equipment belt another 6" service weapon about 3" more. Then the laptop desk can you see the need for width / also Americans are at least 1 size larger than Europeans are. I'm 2nd generation removed from Europe and my cousins in Germany wear 32-34 waist to my & my siblings 38-42

• Agree 1

I noticed today that the Phoenix PD has Smart cars for some functions...parking, I believe.  Saw one parked w/ the roof lights flashing next to a derelict Buick Roadmaster that had a ticket on the window..  most of the fleet seems to be Tahoes and Impalas, with the occasional CV or Explorer.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Of course police departments need big vehicles. But a "green fleet" for lip service to show off a BMW?  I'm talking about these vehicles - the EVs or hybrids. The ones NOT used for patrolling or highway policing or whatever that requires heavy use. This LAPD fleet is for PR purposes. Not real police use. There the BMW is a completely useless vehicle - might as well only be used for parking ticket operations.

That I do agree with. Typical PR push by an inept department.