Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

LED and electrical load

So, here's my issue:

For $#!+s and giggles, and because I got them free... and because a rear side marker lamp in my bumper went out and is the most difficult light I've ever had the displeasure to attempt accessing... ahem, I installed LED lights for all park, brake and turn signal lamps on my wife's car. I understood there would be an issue with hyper-flashing with the turn signals (which are combination park/turn lamps in front #1057 - double filament, and only turn lamps in rear #1056 - single filament). An electronic flasher solved that problem.

The other problem is that with the four combination tail/brake lamps #1057, two 194 style rear markers and the high-mount brake lamp (with 5 small 194 style lamps) the LED lamps have seriously decreased the total load. In fact, initially, they decreased the load so much that the shift interlock relay would not release the car from park after I press the brake pedal to move the shift lever. Even worse, my cruise control stopped functioning entirely. When I threw two standard filament bulbs back in the rear, the shift interlock and cruise control function normally again. At this point, the fog lamps also do not operate and the fuse is good. I haven't changed the front LED lamps back to the standard filament bulbs yet because they are a complete bitch to change (whole front grille and headlamp unit removal required - stupid engineering).

So, having diagnosed my problem (aside from the fog lamps - will try later), what's my best bet? Should I install a load resistor on each park/brake line to run continuously when the lights are on and pray it doesn't overheat and blow up? A friend suggested I even install a standard filament socket into each rear line, paint a bulb black and install them in the interior side panels...which would be the same thing as a load resistor, only easier to change than a resistor if it blew out.

Overall, the appearance is with some enhancement in brightness and the glitz and glamor (pff) of instant on/off operation, as opposed to the typical fade in/out of standard filament bulbs. I'm just happy that I will, likely, never have to try accessing that rear side marker lamp in my bumper ever again!

Thoughts?