Report: Mitsubishi i-MiEV to be upgraded for the U.S.

Report: Mitsubishi i-MiEV to be upgraded for the U.S.

by Jeff Glucker (RSS feed) on Sep 7th 2010 at 9:32AM

Mitsubishi is getting ready to roll out its electric i-MiEV in the United States, which is expected to arrive in late 2011. When it does land on our shores, it will be larger than its Japanese- and Euro-spec cousins. Gregory Adams, head of marketing and product planning for Mitsubishi Motors North America, states that the changes were required to meet U.S. crash regulations and to conform to our super-sized tastes.

In addition to a roomier i-MiEV, U.S.-spec cars will feature an upgraded interior and a greater number of standard features. The electric egg-bus is expected to ring the register for less than $30,000, without the deduction of $7,500 for the electric vehicle federal tax credit.

The European-spec i-MiEV will make its debut at the Paris Motor Show later this month and is expected to be sized and outfitted exactly like the version currently on sale in Japan.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/07/report-mitsubishi-i-miev-to-be-upgraded-in-the-u-s/

MITSUBISHI TO UP-SIZE, UPGRADE I-MIEV FOR U.S. MARKET

By Mark Kleis

As Mitsubishi continues to struggle in its attempt to maintain a foothold in the scrutinizing U.S. market, the Japanese automaker has decided to invest into up-sizing and upgrading its upcoming i-MiEV electric vehicle in order to better meet U.S. consumer demands.

The i-MiEV, which first went on sale in Japan with a listing price equivalency over $50,000 in U.S. currency, is set to arrive in U.S. showrooms, but before it does, this EV will receive some additional content not found in the overseas models.

Gregory Adams, Mitsubishi Motors North America head of marketing and product planning, also told Automotive News that in order to meet U.S. crash test standards additional width was needed – something also preferred by the American consumer (more interior volume). Adams did confirm that the U.S.-spec i-MiEV will gain much needed interior content, he did not specify exactly what will be added.

What is known is that the overseas models lack cruise control, Bluetooth connectivity and navigation, all features likely to be added before the i-MiEV hits U.S.

showrooms.

Expect the U.S.-spec i-MiEV to retain its distinctive shape, which Adams says Americans want in an EV, as well as a price tag under $30,000 before the $7,500 federal tax credit is applied.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mitsubishi-to-up-size-upgrade-i-miev-for-u-s-market.html