Wiring 101

So I don't want to spend a hundred+ bucks on a new stereo for the Prizm, so I figure I'd put the Shadow's nicer one in it, and give the Shadow it's stock radio back. Since the Prizm already has an aftermarket stereo, it has the wiring harness...so no need to buy one. Here's the problem though: I've never done this before. Also, Looking at the colors of the wiring harness wires verses the colors of there stereo's wires...they're different.

Does anyone know where I can find diagrams or instructions or something? I tried searching but no luck...but I am probably not looking it up right.

Posted Image

Edited by Dodgefan

Normally when it comes to stereo wiring, if you're wiring a head unit into the stock wiring of a certain vehicle, you're going to need an adapter. What you'll do is match the colors of the wires on the back of the radio to the adapter and plug the adapter into the factory radio wiring harness. Typical colors are Yellow for main power, Green for ground, Blue for a power antenna option......the list goes on and on, but that's what you'll have to do.

Normally when it comes to stereo wiring, if you're wiring a head unit into the stock wiring of a certain vehicle, you're going to need an adapter. What you'll do is match the colors of the wires on the back of the radio to the adapter and plug the adapter into the factory radio wiring harness. Typical colors are Yellow for main power, Green for ground, Blue for a power antenna option......the list goes on and on, but that's what you'll have to do.

This the adapter wiring harness that connects the stereo to the Prizm. But like I said, the colors are different

Posted Image

It still has the wiring to the old stereo connected to it...same for the Shadow...

Posted Image

As you can sorta see by my $h!ty pictures, some of the colors are different and that's what is throwing me off....by teh wya is the a ground cable or something? to I just cut it to remove the harness like I would the other wires?

Posted Image

basically yeah, you would. Now as far as swapping radios, what you would have to do is cut the harness off of your radio from the geo, leaving bare wires attached to the back of the radio. From there you should purchase an adapter harness for the Shadow, and from there you'll be matching colors to the back of the radio.