Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Spy Shots: Chevy Cobalt nose fully exposed

GM made big promises when the Cavalier was finally supplanted by the Cobalt. It was to be a departure, a break from the not-so-fondly-regarded J-Body to an all-new vehicle capable of competing head-on with the Civic. Yeah. Then it debuted and reality was "not so much." It's worlds better than the Cav, but for a car that was supposed to be a clean break, it certainly looks like a continuation of the J, no matter how much pent up lust we harbor for the Cobalt SS in any form. Pardon us if we're going with Dubya quoting The Who, but fool us once.....won't get fooled again.

Leave it to spy photographers to at least assuage our fears about the styling of the Cobalt's replacement. The Malibu's grille and the Equinoxes lamps get scaled down and applied to a body that's wholly removed from the neo-Cavalier we've got now. This time around, Chevy seems far more serious about being a leader, and they're focusing on more than just dissecting Jetta suspension bushings. The Cobalt moniker might not make the transition to the Delta platform; Rick Wagoner avoided any mention of the name while comparing how much better than the incumbent the incoming model will be. Wagoner did go on to promise more of everything; from quality and equipment, to safety and fuel economy. We'll see.

Source: Autoblog

Photos: Motor Trend

Edited by Dodgefan

You do realize, of course, that the current Civic came out a year after the Cobalt. If GM is guilty of anything, it is of not aiming far enough ahead. The Cobalt was superior to the last Civic and holds its own in many areas against the current Civic. This is, of course, why the Cobalt is being replaced after 5 model years, rather than 11 like the Cavalier.

For someone who drives 11 year old beaters, you get pretty critical about cars that don't meet up to your standards. People scoff at $3k, but if your wife was pregnant and you needed a reliable 4 door that was decent on gas, would you give up $40 a month on a payment, plus higher insurance, etc. just to drive a vehicle that some consider to be 'world class?'

Lutz did not have a lot of say in the current Cobalt. Let's just see where the new one sits.

Dude, apparently you didn't realize that the above text is from the article, not myself...like all of my news posts. Seiously dude, before you go of one one of your defend the Cobalt to the death rants, maybe you should check to see where the post is coming from, and take it to the authors themselves. :rolleyes:

Here, to avoid confusion for anyone else, it's now quoted.

One more thing, your arguement about saving $40 or so a month is pretty weak. If you're that strapped for cash, you would buy a gently used or certified used car and save yourself even more money.

And hell yes I'd pay extra, because when I do buy new, which is a big investment, I sure as hell won't "settle" or cheap out so I can save a few bucks. My standards for a new car are high because I don't want to spend tens of thousands on a pentaly box that will remind me every day that it is what it is.

Edited by Dodgefan