Brake problem

On the backside of the brake (the backing plate), down at 6:00 o'clock, is a little oval rubber plug. Wriggle it out and shine a light in there; get a look at what you'll be aiming for. It's a 'star wheel'. Get a brake spoon (looks like a wide flat-blade screwdriver at the end), engage the star wheel's teeth and move the other end of the tool, the one in your hand, down (rotates the star wheel up & away from you). This will retract the shoes away from the drum.

It'll take a while for each one to retract all the way (the star wheel won't turn anymore). Might make 6 revolutions, tho that's a guess, not knowing the thickness of the linings. Do all 4 wheels.

Electra should roll now, tho you may have to pull the car (in Neutral) to try and break things free. Don't drive it; with the shoes retracted all the way you won't have any brakes!

Post again here if that doesn't work.

You have a few steps ahead of you first.

Retracting the shoes is temporary- driving it & braking firmly multiple times will adjust them to the correct spec, tho I would back them off of all-the-way-retracted first.

BUT, with any car sitting a good long while, I would pull each drum and check the brakes' condition: linings for rust & thinness, shoes for cracking,/ thinness, wheel cylinders for leaking, hoses for dry rot, steel lines for excessive rust, wheel bearings for wear & repack them w/ grease.

You want to drive it, right? What goes... needs to stop. Get the brakes in top shape- it's the first step.

Raven, a word of warning and caution, doing a full-on brake job on an older vehicle like that isn't something that a lot of mechanics like doing in today's world. I know that it sounds confuzzling and like a pain, but changing brake shoes and hardware and wheel cylinders, ect. isn't that hard of a job.

Once they are freed-up, you HAVE to take the adjusters out, clean/wire wheel them really well and lightly grease them. They need to turn freely. How the linings?

Buick Al-Fin drums are quite likely the best drum brake set-up in history. No fade, big diameter (12"), trouble-freee, class-leading.

I can't wait until the day I have a classic Buick with drums all around.

(1959 Buick of some sort!) http://i5.tinypic.com/20pq1oi.jpg