Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Timing chain longevity

Was wondering if engine misfire/hesitation takes a toll on timing chains? My Regal's 3800 V6 had a flat spot in the low rpms where acceleration after shifting into 4th (approx 47 mph) was accompanied by hesitation and misfiring which cleared itself up above 55 mph. Initially, I thought it was the torque converter, but it was only under acceleration after a low throttle upshift (such as merging or approaching a hill) and not all the time. Had this exact same thing happen about 5 years ago and I changed plug wires which got rid of it. I got new plug wires 2 weeks ago and the problem is gone! This was the car's only driveability quirk.

My question: I had this condition for about 6 months on this go-around and was wondering which engine system that is taxing on? The timing chain? The gas mileage is still stellar.

Sidebar:

My RWD Cutlass had a 3.8 V6 which had an intermittent pinging issue and the chain went out at 160,00.

My RWD Cutlass with a 350 V8 never gave up the timing chain.

To this day I still don't know what happened with my timing chains...My timing chain guides shattered, the car jumped timing, and the engine grenaded itself...I wouldn't be surprised if I turned out to be the only one who has had it happen to them. Weirdest thing ever.

Was wondering if engine misfire/hesitation takes a toll on timing chains? My Regal's 3800 V6 had a flat spot in the low rpms where acceleration after shifting into 4th (approx 47 mph) was accompanied by hesitation and misfiring which cleared itself up above 55 mph. Initially, I thought it was the torque converter, but it was only under acceleration after a low throttle upshift (such as merging or approaching a hill) and not all the time. Had this exact same thing happen about 5 years ago and I changed plug wires which got rid of it. I got new plug wires 2 weeks ago and the problem is gone! This was the car's only driveability quirk.

My question: I had this condition for about 6 months on this go-around and was wondering which engine system that is taxing on? The timing chain? The gas mileage is still stellar.

Sidebar:

My RWD Cutlass had a 3.8 V6 which had an intermittent pinging issue and the chain went out at 160,00.

My RWD Cutlass with a 350 V8 never gave up the timing chain.

well... not really... timing chains will stretch with use... thats about it... perhaps more power and more friction will encourge the behaviour... but something like a rough idle or what not, really shouldnt affect it... think of a bicycle chain... if you jiggle your feet around will it break? probably not, but when you start doing fast starts, jumps, wheelies... its more harmful to it...