Turbo Camaro?

Guest YellowJacket894

Guest YellowJacket894

I found a red, 1985 Camaro setting not to far from home yesterday. It's been slightly modified with a front fascia from a early '90s Camaro, which needs paint, and a hood from an IROC-Z, which needs the hinges fixed. Other than the two hiccups I pointed out (I'm not making much mention of the upholstery, which is only torn in one or two places, which I don't much care about, and the missing headliner, which you don't notice because of the t-tops), the car is very solid, is rust and ding free, and, except for the bumper, has great paint with plenty of sheen.

Now, on the door handles I noticed a few interesting anomalies that read "Turbo." Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't GM produce a turbocharged six-cylinder Camaro and Firebird in the early to mid eighties (I know they did with the second-generation F-Body car)? I popped the hood and found what appeared to be just that (to be honest, it was hard to tell if it was a six because of the crazy way the hood raised up due to it's 'effed up hinges but I'm 95 percent certain thats what I found setting in the engine bay). Whatever engine it is, it's teamed up to a four-speed auto (can hold hands with my girlfriend while I drive, hehe). I can't find any real information on the car, though, on any website. Anyone got anything on it ... or if GM even made one in the first place? :D

I'm not certain on the price, but I'm thinking I might stop by Friday with Cheyenne (my girlfriend; I believe you can guess what trim package I'm going to get if I buy a late model, GMT-400 full-size pickup, haha) before we go about our plans for that day. If I can get pics, I'll post them.

Thanks, guys. :CG_all:

Edited by YellowJacket894

GM didn't ever produce ANY factory turbo Camaros.

The 2nd gen Turbo Trans Ams and Forumulas used a turbo 4.9 (301) Pontiac V8. While it may have potential there is NO aftermarket and the engine is not very popular. Avoid these like the plague unless you know how to work on them OR have lots of money to pay for someone to work on it.

The 1989 Turbo Trans Am used a turbo Buick 3.8 (LC2) w/ FWD Buick heads to clear the lower hood. It is a kick ass car that is worth quite abit of cash and is quite collectible.

This is the engine bay of a 1989 3.8 TTA.

Posted Image

This is the engine bay of a 4.9 TTA

Posted Image

My guess is this car is a hack job and you should avoid it like a rusted Civic. If it does have a 3.8 LC2 or LC4 in it then you may want to pick it up. But remember anytime you pick someone else's project you don't know what has been done to it and you don't know what kind of a mess you are getting yourself into.

Here is a breakdown for the 85 Camaro's stock info.

http://www.thirdgen.org/1985-chevy-camaro?

New noses for all '85 Camaro models and new, deeper valances and front spoiler for the 1985 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 and the newly introduced 1985 Chevy Camaro IROC-Z28. The NACA style hood ducts were replaced by simulated hood louvers on the Z28. Z28 got new `grid' pattern taillights. The number of lower body stripes grew from 2 to 4 on Z28 with a body colored gap between the top 3 stripes. Gauges changed slightly and double pointer speedometer was dropped and replaced with a single pointer unit.Berlinetta aluminum wheels became an extra cost option and Berlinetta now came standard with its own unique wheel covers that were styled to look like the optional aluminum wheel. The Berlinetta aluminum wheel also became an option on the Sport Coupe but with argent accenting rather than gold and a `Camaro' center cap rather than `Berlinetta'. Lower body pinstiping on the Berlinetta was revised by an additional stripe.The new IROC-Z option was available on the Z28 and came with new 16x8 aluminum rims, P245/50VR-16 Z Rated Goodyear Gatorback tires, fog lights, CAMARO on front license plate panel, .5 inch lowered ride height, body colored valances, Delco-Bilstein rear gas shocks, special front struts, increased spring rates, special jounce bumpers, 5 degrees of caster (up from 3.5 on Z28) in front wheel alignment, `WonderBar' front frame rail stiffener, special valving in steering for increased steering effort, larger rear stabilizer bar with stiffer bushings, IROC-Z exterior decals and interior dash badge, and a thinner two-color lower body stripe.`Tuned Port Injection' (TPI) motors introduced. The Corvette got a 350 version (L98) and the Camaro got a 305 version (LB9); available in the Z28 or IROC-Z. LB9 was available with automatic only. L69 H.O. 305 was only available in IROC and only with 5 speed manual. L69 production was restricted half-way (April 26, 1985) through the model year.MPFI V-6 LB8 motor introduced to replace carbureted LC1 V-6. It Had similar port injection as LB9 TPI V-8.All manual transmissions now 5 Speeds.7.5 inch rear end dropped and replaced with a new 7.625 (7 5/8) inch rear end for all Camaros.G92 (performance axle ratio) only available on IROC-Z for 1985.

The IROC-Z28 is capable of .92g's on the skidpad and 63.3 MPH slaloms