Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

EnerDel Unveils Lithium Ion Battery Pack for Hybrid Electric Vehicles

Posted Image

Link to AutoNews article

INDIANAPOLIS, Oct. 10, 2007 -- Ener1, Inc. concluded a successful Media Day on October 9, 2007 at its Indianapolis-based subsidiary, EnerDel, Inc. At the event, U.S. Congressman Dan Burton spoke to the media about the importance of the EnerDel technology to the country's energy independence, the environment and the creation of high technology jobs for the Indiana economy. Congressman Burton stated, "EnerDel is the wave of the future. Its cutting edge technology will help relieve our dependency on foreign oil." Congressman Burton officially unveiled the fully functional Lithium-ion battery pack developed specifically for the HEV (Hybrid Electric Vehicle) market. The media in attendance included local television affiliates of ABC, CBS and FOX, the Indianapolis Star newspaper, a Gannett publication, and WIBC radio.

Charles Gassenheimer, Vice Chairman of Ener1, stated, "This was a very successful day that marks the beginning of the future of the U.S. hybrid vehicle storage technology business. We are deeply appreciative of the support and words from Congressman Burton and his presence at this event. As always, we are grateful for the support of the Department of Energy and thankful for Argonne National Laboratories' assistance with our materials development. And very importantly, we thank our hard-working and creative employees at EnerDel."

An archival web cast of the event is available on the company's web sites (http://www.ener1.com/ and www.enerdel.com). The event was held at the EnerDel high technology facility located at 8740 Hague Road, Bldg. 7, Indianapolis, IN.

EnerDel is owned by Ener1, Inc. (80.5%) and Delphi Corporation (19.5%). EnerDel has a pilot production facility in Indianapolis, Indiana. EnerDel currently employs approximately 60 highly experienced engineers and technicians involved in the battery development of both cells and systems. For more information, please visit: www.enerdel.com

About Ener1, Inc.

Ener1, Inc. (BULLETIN BOARD: ENEI) is an alternative energy technology company that is developing 1) lithium ion batteries for hybrid electric vehicles (HEV) at its 80.5% owned EnerDel subsidiary, 2) commercial fuel cell products through its EnerFuel subsidiary, and 3) nanotechnology-based materials and manufacturing processes for batteries and other applications at its NanoEner subsidiary.

19% owned by Delphi....

Still think the Volt won't have the battery packs ready for 2010?

Still not according to GXT. Here is the logic: It is partly owned by Delphi, which is partly owned by GM. Which means GM is using its ownership of Delphi leverage to toot their own horn.

Still not according to GXT. Here is the logic: It is partly owned by Delphi, which is partly owned by GM. Which means GM is using its ownership of Delphi leverage to toot their own horn.

Here's some more info "according to GXT".

GM isn't using these batteries. They aren't good enough.

Here are the specs:

http://www.gm-volt.com/2007/10/11/enerdel-...ery-pack-specs/

.6 KWh for $1500.

Volt battery pack: 16 KWh.

Estimated Enerdel battery pack cost for Volt: ~$40,000

As best I can tell those are estimated prices for some time in the future. However it isn't clear.

It sounds like the density isn't very good either.

So if you think these batteries are good enough, please direct your insults at GM. If you feel a little sheepish because you bought into the PR and decided to insult me rather than do some research, please direct your insults at yourself.

The point is, we're still over 2 years out and this announcement just shows progress towards the goal. No one here was claiming that these were the batteries that the Volt was going to use.

Edit: Indeed the Volt has created a race among battery manufacturers to get their products to market.

Edited by Oldsmoboi

So if you think these batteries are good enough, please direct your insults at GM. If you feel a little sheepish because you bought into the PR and decided to insult me rather than do some research, please direct your insults at yourself.

Oh like your research where you had some (many) wrong data, which was asked to be clarified and questions regarding the same, which are yet to be answered?

BTW, sheeplings belong to the Toy Prius fan club, not other way around.

As I have said before, GM is not going to tell the public (or us) what they are really up to. Their has got to be tons of data from the EV-1 program that turned out to be of some use.

And to back up Oldsmoboi, I agree - two years is a very, very long time in technological circles.

As I have said before, GM is not going to tell the public (or us) what they are really up to. Their has got to be tons of data from the EV-1 program that turned out to be of some use.

And to back up Oldsmoboi, I agree - two years is a very, very long time in technological circles.

Well GM has been saying an awful lot. If they were really interested in keeping their cards close to their chest they would have said a lot less than they have. Their actions seem to show that they are at the same place as anyone else when it comes to batteries.

www.gm-volt.com is a great source of information. I don't recall which battery exec said it, but apparently 2 years from prototype to mass production is about right for a battery like this. GM should get an A123 prototype early 2008, so provided all goes well they could start production in 2010.

There was never really any doubt that there would be a battery to go in the volt... but one of the questions was what the price would be and would it allow GM to hit <$30,000 for the volt with a 40 mile electric range. No matter how many shots smallchevy takes at me, it appears that this battery will not.

Edited by GXT

Oh like your research where you had some (many) wrong data, which was asked to be clarified and questions regarding the same, which are yet to be answered?

BTW, sheeplings belong to the Toy Prius fan club, not other way around.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Examples? I'll do my best to answer any questions of whcih I am aware. Usually I say my part and move on. Even though I did respond to you in this thead, I don't have the time or the energy to respond to all the baseless posts.

I see nothing wrong with being a fan of a car that gets 45 MPG city. What exactly is your problem with that? Because it is a product that exists (and has for many years)?

And my point is that the moment the lab acheives their design goal, it is not posted on the internet 5 minutes later. Right now GM is feeding the media (and us tidbits) to keep the competition on the defensive and the media their 30 second sound bites. Even media 'leaks' make me suspicious.

At the end of the day, we are told what Big Business wants us to hear. We will just have to wait until '10 to see what's what.