Tidbit of info based on...

The 1992 Regal has had a slight shimmy for quite a while. By rotating the tires often, they are wearing exceptionally well despite the shimmy (6/32 after almost 40,000 miles).

The shimmy was weird in that it was really noticeable between 55 and 65 mph, and then, by minute adjustments of the steering wheel, it might go away. A long time ago, I told a West Coast chain about this and they identified the tie rods as the probable culprits. They fixed these, when I had front struts put in, and everything seemed better...but not perfect.

Within the last couple of weeks, there was a popping sound in the front passenger side, accompanied by too much bounce by pushing down. The struts were under warranty, so I got new ones today. They also replaced these strut mounts (about $25 each), which is a rubbed/metal cup the top of the strut goes into. They were worn, and the one on the passenger side was the worst of the two. With the new struts and the new strut mounts (the most likely culprit), the shimmy has gone away, the car tracks beautifully and the ride is as smooth as glass.

From looking at an exhibit they have, shimmy on FRONT WHEEL DRIVE cars is caused by:

(a ) struts

(b ) strut mounts

(c ) tie rods, and

(d ) bushings, at various places

These and/or OTHER components might cause the wandering or the uneven wear. For me, the answer to a long-standing shimmy problem was (b), which was probably overlooked.

Edited by trinacriabob

Interesting. My '99 Bonne's shimmy has been getting worse VERY quickly. Fast enough that I assumed I lost a wheel weight.

I've already been under the car pushing and pulling bits, and its all tight. I have been wondering about the struts for a while, as the shimmy has come on during a period that I swear that the car has lost some height. I'll have to take a closer look at the struts.

Interesting. My '99 Bonne's shimmy has been getting worse VERY quickly. Fast enough that I assumed I lost a wheel weight.

I've already been under the car pushing and pulling bits, and its all tight. I have been wondering about the struts for a while, as the shimmy has come on during a period that I swear that the car has lost some height. I'll have to take a closer look at the struts.

Since it has McPherson struts (I assume) like my car, pushing down on the car should give virtually no bounce-back, making it almost seem stiff. Even though it might appear stiff, the ride is fine...it feels planted. Pushing down on the car and being able to get a rocking momentum going (albeit a mild one) means the struts may be gone, from what I've experienced.

This kind of stuff is tricky since one never wants to "volunteer" stuff to service writers or repair salespeople. Rather, one wants to let them do the talking, then let them show you what is going on, and then you can decide if the fix they are suggesting is reasonable.