Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

my thoughts on the 2006 9-5

Minarets

i had seen some pics and thought the new redesigned 2006 looked better and caught my eye more then the older 9-5. now i am not gonna lie, i am not a saab loyalist...i have never owned one and just as recently as the new 9-3 even became interested. maybe this is why Saab did what they did,--to bring in more then just the loyalists. anyway, on to the drive. upon approach the car is very low to the ground. the front end is very long and "beak-ish" if you will. the wheels look good but imo, need to be 18's. i beleive the 9-3 has 18s and the 9-5 is a bigger car and has a lot of gap to fill. the Pirreli tires are nice, but replacemet will be expensive. the grill looks good to me and the headlights , for some reason, appeals to me. i wish the US version could get rid of the amber corners. i do hate we have to have those on cars here. the back end looks good, but i dont care for the cheap looking plastic covers on the tailights--the rippled red covers do not appeal to me. i entered the car and for you who may be worried about traditional saab headrests, they are still there. i have seen some mention on some boards that Saab "GM-ized" the headrests--no worries. the seats were comfortable as always. Volvo still makes the best seats in the biz, but these were nice, no doubt. i for one do not like the extremely busy 9-3 dash. too many buttons! the 9-5 has "GM-ized" the dash some, but for the complainers, i think its for the better. the only thing it lacks imo is the temp dispay for dual zones. the dials are easy to reach and read. i like it. i bet the NAV looks better--the pics i have seen looked better, imo. the drive was nice. i am always amazed at how Saab's 4 cylinder engines put out. always could add more power, but the 260 is plenty for passing and needed fun. the steering wheel is good. back seat always could use more room, but again, plenty for the class and size of the car. i love the car colored door-handles. i hate the black ones, and i am glad the 9-5 doesnt have the black plastic piece running the side and back of the car much like the 9-3 has. overall i was impressed. i am 25 and will soon be in the market for a new car. i must admit i am after the Lucerne right now...of all things--a Buick for a 25 year old, but the new 9-5 does appeal to me. its an odd bird. always has been and still is, just less odd. i like.