LeSabre Questions....

@dmin

its a 1998 Buick LeSabre limited 3800

When I got the car the Security light stays solid any idea what could cause that?

When I turn the heat on normally use the Auto button and set a temp. but I can see the fan meter on the read out go to 100% but the blower motor won't do anything. In a couple minutes you will hear it rev up and then shut off then repeats that a couple times (the blower motor will stay on for a little longer than the first rev.) then about 15-20 into my drive the blower motor kicks on and stays on and generally don't have any issues after that. Any thoughts? also where is the blower located? I spent 15 minutes trying to find it but no luck...

Also does anyone know of any car ramps that are low profile enough to drive this car up on? My older metal ramps are too steep and will hit the bumper if I try to drive up them. I would jack it up and rest it on stands but the jack points are wide enough for me to jack the car up on and set it on jack with out crushing a rolled edge of the unibody. the jacking surface is like a 2inch area...

Also I noticed that the AC clutch is creating metal shavings... Is it possible to just replace the clutch? I would hate to replace the compressor for just the clutch. If need be I have vacuum pumps and all the necessary components to install a new ac compressor but I rather not do that...

Last question for now, Anyone have spark plug suggestions? I think I'm going to order some Taylor wires. Is there a guide to check coil output? I think one of the cylinders has a weak fire.

I will appreciate any response.

When I got the car the Security light stays solid any idea what could cause that?

Thats odd. Is it on from the time the key is turned to 'on' or beyond? Does it ever blink?

My Caprice had the Security light come on and off from time to time... it was looseness in the PASSKey system... which would have normally disabled starting the car... but once the car is running, it would only illuminate the Security light. Hitting a pothole usually fixed it.

Edit: Looks like this might indicate a bad PASSKey module... and that PASSKey is inoperative. Considering that PASSKey is not a very serious security deterrent, I'd say ignore it.

When I turn the heat on normally use the Auto button and set a temp. but I can see the fan meter on the read out go to 100% but the blower motor won't do anything. In a couple minutes you will hear it rev up and then shut off then repeats that a couple times (the blower motor will stay on for a little longer than the first rev.) then about 15-20 into my drive the blower motor kicks on and stays on and generally don't have any issues after that. Any thoughts? also where is the blower located? I spent 15 minutes trying to find it but no luck...

The blower access is on the center of the firewall, from the engine compartment. These blower motors are very unreliable... part of the reason is a vent tube that falls off and causes hot engine compartment air to "cool" the motor. I've replaced my blower motor countless times now... junkyard blowers, refurbs, brand new, OEM. They all acted up again... some made noise... some just died unexpectedly... so wouldn't hit high speed.

It not REAL hard to replace the blower, but be careful, the plastic cap, tube and plastic firewall covering are all irreplaceable and get VERY brittle.

Also does anyone know of any car ramps that are low profile enough to drive this car up on? My older metal ramps are too steep and will hit the bumper if I try to drive up them. I would jack it up and rest it on stands but the jack points are wide enough for me to jack the car up on and set it on jack with out crushing a rolled edge of the unibody. the jacking surface is like a 2inch area...

I only jack there if I'm changing a tire by the side of the road. I normally use my floor jack right on the middle of the subframe and have never had an issue.

I never use ramps... too much of a hassle.

Also I noticed that the AC clutch is creating metal shavings... Is it possible to just replace the clutch? I would hate to replace the compressor for just the clutch. If need be I have vacuum pumps and all the necessary components to install a new ac compressor but I rather not do that...

I've heard you can... I have yet to see one offered. I fear it requires special tools... and knowing where the AC compressor is on the 3800, I'd think that would be a tough job... and if the clutch is dying, the compressor is likely not far behind. I had a similar problem with my AC compressor on my Caprice... and the fillings seemed to be from the front seal/bearing eating itself.

Last question for now, Anyone have spark plug suggestions? I think I'm going to order some Taylor wires. Is there a guide to check coil output? I think one of the cylinders has a weak fire.

IIRC, I used the recommended AC Delco double platinums my my '99 Bonneville 3800 NA, and they have performed fine. There is a guide to checking the coil packs... of course, I'm not near my personal automotive library, so I'll leave it to someone else to elaborate.

As far as wires, I get the OEM or OEM-style expensive wires with the lube for the contacts. The 3800s can be picky about wires and I wanted to get 200K out of my second set like I got from my first set. ;-)

Edited by SAmadei

Thanks for your response!

Once the car is started the security light stays solid. other than that it blinks when the car is off. What is really interesting is that this car only has 80,000 miles on it. I wouldn't expect the compressor clutch or or anything like that to be worn out. This car was parked in a attached garage its whole life too. But the wires look a little dry rotted as well as the belt. I actually haven't owned this car that long that's why I'm asking so many questions its a new beast and I primarily drive my other car the buick is my "nice" car! lol.

I will look into the passkey. I remember reading about by passing the passkey with a couple resistors and an ic from radioshack a couple years ago. Might look into it again.

Im used to my other car where it has massive steel frame rails that I could jack the car up on. this new unibody stuff seems so flimsy.