2013 LA Auto Show Impressions

pow

I went to the show this year. Here are some impressions.

1.) Most manufacturers are trying to make appealing cars. Gone are the days when blatantly shoddy automobiles were allowed to make it to production. With the exception of maybe the Mitsubishi Mirage, you will be hard pressed to find G6 or Avenger-grade crap anymore. Manufacturers are putting in effort to make every one of their offerings at least somewhat innovative and appealing.

The Europeans usually do very well in this regard, and this year, it's no exception. You can tell that GM and Kia are trying particularly hard by sweating the details. Perhaps most disappointing in innovation are Toyota, Honda, Acura, and Subaru, brands that seem to be resting on their laurels and sticking with what they know.

2.) Fancy cars feel special. Perhaps this is obvious, but the more expensive the car, the nicer I found it to be. Luxury cars are supposed to represent the pinnacle of what's possible in engineering, design, and quality, and this was certainly the case. Auto shows are a chance to sit in cars that you'll never be able to afford, so I did just that and enjoyed the following vehicles very much:

- 911 50th Anniversary, Cayman, Macan, Panamera: Never thought of myself as a Porsche person but was very impressed by the quality and ergonomics of their vehicles. They all fit me like a glove and seemed extraordinarily well-made.

- 918 Spyder: Wow, that's why they call 'em hypercars. This is probably one of the most embarrassing cars to drive on a public road, and I nearly tripped climbing out--the egress is quite poor--but there's no denying the amount of engineering and design that went to this supercar. It's stunning to behold.

10989571626_34f4c3b47b_z.jpg

- BMW i8: This car looks spectacular in person; I thought the proportions were a bit tame in pictures, but I was wrong, it looks just right. Nobody told me it had gull-wing doors! Interior is equally stunning and well thought-out. Shame it's $135,000. Fun fact: it's actually a four-seater. I tried the back seat, and it's literally two pillows with seat belts.

10989707856_c78570f97c_z.jpg

- Jag F-Type: I don't do roadsters, but I'll concede the roadster is prettier than the coupe. Both have lovely, stylish interiors.

- Maserati Ghibli: Although rumored to ride on a modified Chrysler 300 platform, the Ghibli feels Italian through and through. It's supposedly E-Class money, but it feels far more special than those Germans. The Italian does sacrifice a little quality for style, though; the lightweight trunklid doesn't slam with a Teutonic thud and some of the switchgear seem a bit iffy.

10989807524_37cea63b46_z.jpg

- Range Rovers: The new LWB model is hopelessly decadent. There's so much legroom, and it has the most over-engineered floor mats I've ever seen.

3.) Lincoln and Acura are hopeless. The two most underwhelming cars at the show were the MKC and RLX Sport Hybrid Super Handling-All-Wheel Drive (or ARLXSHSHAWD for short). Sure, these brands sell decently and are profitable given that they're glorified Fords and Hondas. But they feel like glorified Fords and Hondas. Both the MKC and ARLXSHSHAWD have the worst interiors in their respective classes. The MKC's seats are tiny and unsupportive, and the interior trim is dull and cheap. ARLXSHSHAWD simply feels like a nice Accord; there's no surprise or delight anywhere. How about at least a different typeface on the buttons, Acura?

10989495415_6abb11419a_z.jpg

Random car-specific impressions:

- BMW i3: Looks like a concept car. Feels airy and surprisingly large inside. Polarizing, but I like it.

- Mercedes GLA: Do not like. The normal A-Class is fine. Why did they have to make an Outback version?

- Cadillac ELR: Looks a bit stubby from the side but otherwise fine. Attractive, but not $76K attractive.

- Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon: What are these called now, GMT-1000? Overall, solid offerings. The SWB models still have a cramped third row and not much cargo space.

- Chevrolet SS: Weird mishmash of Holden, Opel, GM Korea, and GM North America. Way too much chrome. Looks like a bad facelift.

- Corvette Stingray: Doesn't look cohesive with random slashes and angles throughout the body. Wheel designs do no favors. Interior quality is finally acceptable, but nothing special. Seats dig into my shoulders if I sit upright. Probably drives really well.

- Mazda 3: Not bad.

- New MINI: More of the same kitsch.

- Kia K900: I walked up to a Cadenza, thinking it was the K900. Once you get inside, the K900 is quite nice, if derivative.

- Cadillac CTS: There were a bunch of Germans in suits inspecting it. Cadillac has caught the attention of the Germans. You can tell the designers were trying really hard with the CTS interior, and the material choices are interesting, but it doesn't have the feeling of solidity you get from the Germans. Back seat is cramped for the class, and the seat bottom easily came loose. I'm sure it drives real nice though.

- Audi A3/S3: Cool little car. Same Audi attributes in a more sprightly shell.

- Colorado: They were unfortunately all locked and had tinted windows. But I can tell you that the extended cab version offers headrests for the jump seats, which the Thai version does not offer.

10989719243_b98292f90f_z.jpg

10989641506_98227ac077_z.jpg

10989551215_1e84830ddf_z.jpg

Photostream here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/109439275@N05/

Edited by pow

Very nice review and impression, guess you fall into the German Fan Boy camp, I find your comment about Cadillac to be interesting considering that at the Seattle Autoshow, I was not impressed with either the I3 or I8 electric concepts. In regards to German interiors, Your comments about CTS are the exact same comments I have about BMW. So perception is everything, CTS kills the 3 series IMHO.