TCC Test: 2007 BMW X5 4.8i

Variance

TCC Test: 2007 BMW X5 4.8i

Posted Image

It's typical that as a vehicle grows in size and becomes more "mainstream" and "family friendly," it also becomes more like the typical middle-aged clientèle that needs mainstream and family-friendly vehicles. Once-sharp reflexes and a firm suspension set up for enthusiast drivers are swapped for drop-down DVD entertainment systems for the kids and power-operated toys for the grown-ups.

The X5 has an abundance of the latter, including a "simplified" version of the infamous iDrive mouse controller (more on that below), available heads-up display and an electrically activated gear shifter similar to the system first used on the 7-Series sedan (more on that below, also).

But as I experienced firsthand during two days of flogging new X5s (both the base six-cylinder powered 3.0si and the V-8 X5 4.8i) on some of South Carolina's best moonshiner backcountry roads, the '07 X5's every bit the runner the old one was. And then some.

The Car Connection

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search

Change privacy settings