Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oracle of Delphi

GM, UAW close to a deal at Lordstown, Fairfax plants

2 posts in this topic

Jamie LaReau | Automotive News / May 2, 2007 - 4:04 pm /

DETROIT -- General Motors will resume construction to prepare for vehicles on its next-generation architectures at its Lordstown, Ohio, and Fairfax (Kansas City, Kan.) plants, sources confirm.

UAW leaders met today. While a local contract is not final, "things were moving along," say sources familiar with the talks.

"The issues are being worked out; I don't know if they've returned to the bargaining table, but that is something that is going to happen," says a source close to GM. The source says GM's plans for the next-generation small-car platform at the Lordstown plant and the mid-sized car architecture at Fairfax are "back on track."

GM last week put future work at the plants on hold after local negotiations with the UAW stalled. Sources say some of the sticking points were GM's request that the Lordstown workers work 10-hour shifts without overtime and outsourcing some nonunion jobs.

UAW officials could not be reached for comment.

A local Lordstown worker says, "I wouldn't think all the issues have been resolved yet, but I do think GM knows it has to build that car."

Edited: I didn't see this posted, if it was please delete.

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

It was only a matter of time.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room