Advice on starting a car that hasn't run in 2 years

I was talking to Sixty8 today, and mentioned that I'd like to start up the `69 and move it out of the garage. The problem is that the car hasn't run in 2 years...the last time it was driven was in the fall of `05. Since then it's been in the garage (at least it's level). There is a concern I have...I remember their being a fluid leak...however I can't remember if it antifreeze or something else. If it is antifreeze I'm worried the block may have cracked during one of the winters. So I have a few questions

• Does anyone know how to pop the hood on a `69 Barracuda? I've done it before but it was a while ago...and I remember it being a pain...but I forget what to do.
  • When I check and there is some antifreeze, is it okay?
  • If there is none...how concerned should I be about a cracked block or something?
  • How can I check if it is cracked?
  • What else should I check/do before attempting to start it?
I also want to move the Caravan...it's not where it should be in teh driveway and therefore blocks a parking spot...this was a pain in the ass in teh winter. Unlike teh `69, it sits outside and on in incline facing up (the driveway slopes). It started it about a year ago and it did run and drive...but should I be concerned about things liek oil sitting in the back or something...I'd rather not damage it.

If anyone has any advice I'd be very grateful!

[*]Does anyone know how to pop the hood on a `69 Barracuda? I've done it before but it was a while ago...and I remember it being a pain...but I forget what to do.

There should be a lever with a cable attached to it under the dashboard if memory serves.

[*]When I check and there is some antifreeze, is it okay?

Go to the local auto parts store and buy an antifreeze tester, which looks like this:

Posted Image

It will tell you if the antifreeze is still good or not.

[*]If there is none...how concerned should I be about a cracked block or something?

If the car was in a garage, you shouldn't be.

[*]How can I check if it is cracked?

There are magnaflux kits you can buy for about $150 that will give you the best idea if anything is cracked or not. If you don't want to spend the money on one, your best bet is to clean the engine really well and watch for leaks. But like I said above, if the car was in the garage, you shouldn't have any worries about cracked blocks.

[*]What else should I check/do before attempting to start it?

Make sure there is good oil and coolant in the engine first and foremost. Next make sure none of the gas, brake or coolant lines as well as any important rubber seals have any dry rot or there will be trouble. Check any wires to make sure no mice have been chewing on them. Make sure the gas you are using isn't too old or the wrong octane. Another good idea is to make sure

[*]I also want to move the Caravan...it's not where it should be in the driveway and therefore blocks a parking spot...this was a pain in the ass in the winter. Unlike the `69, it sits outside and on in incline facing up (the driveway slopes). It started it about a year ago and it did run and drive...but should I be concerned about things leak oil sitting in the back or something...I'd rather not damage it.

Make sure there is still the right amount of oil in it and you should be fine. It's also a good to check all the stuff mentioned above as well. I hope that helps. I'll add more if I remember anything else. Don't forget to take some pics!

Thanks man., that helps alot! When school gets out in a couple of weeks I will try to start and move them both. I'm assuming you're dying to see pics of the Caravan right? :P

any reason the battery would be dead? hehe i'd think that's the first thing to check ...

They're both dead, I know that much :P