For those who know their oil

A buddy of mine is trying to get me to switch my brand of oil...and he is trying to tell me it is the same exact oil.

He's driving me crazy! :scratchchin:

The wife's sedan currently runs on Mobil 1 Full syn oil, which I love. :thumbsup:

My buddy wants me to switch to the Wal-Mart brand, which is much cheaper.

I pay 24 bucks or so for a 5qt of Mobil 1.

Wal-Mart's brand is 14 bucks for a 5qt.

Now, he is trying to tell me the Mobil makes Wal-Mart's brand, which I disagree with.

From what I know, Quaker State/Penzoil makes all of Wal-marts oils.....

Now I do agree with him in the fact that they all offer great protection, but It would be hard to make a switch when the Mobil works so well....

On the other hand, if wal-mart' private brand was Mobil 1, that could be a different story...

Easiest way to do it, look on the oil bottle itself, there should be some information that tells you where the oil is bottled at. Then look at say a Quaker State bottle. If the places are the same, more likely than not, you've got the same product in the bottle. For instance, Valvoline is owned by Ashland Corp, in Kentucky. All their oil is bottled there, our CarQuest brand motor oil is also bottled in Kentucky (actually same address and all) and whenever we have price changes come out, it states in the letter that the prices are set by Valvoline...so our private-label oil is Valvoline, just without the extra cost associated with the name brand and without the pretty white bottle.

Easiest way to do it, look on the oil bottle itself, there should be some information that tells you where the oil is bottled at. Then look at say a Quaker State bottle. If the places are the same, more likely than not, you've got the same product in the bottle. For instance, Valvoline is owned by Ashland Corp, in Kentucky. All their oil is bottled there, our CarQuest brand motor oil is also bottled in Kentucky (actually same address and all) and whenever we have price changes come out, it states in the letter that the prices are set by Valvoline...so our private-label oil is Valvoline, just without the extra cost associated with the name brand and without the pretty white bottle.

I did a bit of that...couldn't really get a match.

THough I think I should take a closer look.

It makes me wonder what place uses Mobil as it's private label as its oil....

THough I do like Vavoline too.... :thumbsup:

But we don't have any Carquests up here though....kinda sucks....

Hmmm.....that's kinda odd, check www.carquest.com and see if there's a store, even an Independently own store, somewhere near you.

I'll do that. :thumbsup:

Do you guys carry Full Syn Carquest brand oil? How much cheaper is it?

The only two oils at the moment I like are Mobil and Valvoline...(though the wagon runs on quaker State)

I'm switching the coupe's oil from GM dealership oil to another brand...

Another few dino changes, then it goes full syn too. :thumbsup:

well, yeah we have a CQ full-synthetic oil. down here it runs about 3.80 a quart as compared to valvoline full dyn at about 6.00 a quart. GM stock oil is mobil (not mobil1, just the regular stuff)

Really? I always thought GM was Valvoline......

3.80? That's not bad at all..

Since we're on the topic of oils, does high mileage oil make a difference over normal oil? Since all ofour cars are pretty high in miles, it might be worth it to use Castrol GTX high millage...but only if it's any good....anyone know?

GTX is a pretty good oil...

That is kind of a tough question to answer. Yes and no.

Bascially it depends on the shape of your engine, and the miles on the car.

Most high milage oils have some synthetic(sp?) oils in them...which can send your car either way.

If your engine is not burning much in the way of oil (or just a tiny bit on the engine), then it should be okay, unless the car

is pushing close or over 200k...

Most oil brands suggest you start it around 75k miles....

My wagon is a case of not putting high milage oil in....at 140k, it burns just enough oil, and has oil on the top of the engine,

which if HM oil is put in-it will cause leaks where deposits have built up.

HM oils can work in your favor, as they offer extra protection for your seals and such, and is much harder to burn off-and basicallty lubes the engine metal parts better...

Hopefully that helped. :thumbsup:

Speaking of valve covers...

Assuming this deal with Sixty8 goes through the Shadow will end up being taken off the road. I'd like to try and fix things on it, like the valve cover gasket. It'll probably end up being my younger brother's car after that.