Missfire...

I just have a few quick questions in regards to changing a coil pack. What exactly is involved in changing one? :P I have a missfire on cylinder 6 on my series 1 3800 SC motor. Should I change all three and the plugs and wires and what do I have to do to change the coil pack itself? What am I looking at cost wise? I haven't been able to drive my Riv in a week now due to this, and with no other form of transportation at this time, I really need to get this thing fixed. Lastly what tools will I need?

Thanks in advance guys.

I just have a few quick questions in regards to changing a coil pack. What exactly is involved in changing one? :P I have a missfire on cylinder 6 on my series 1 3800 SC motor. Should I change all three and the plugs and wires and what do I have to do to change the coil pack itself? What am I looking at cost wise? I haven't been able to drive my Riv in a week now due to this, and with no other form of transportation at this time, I really need to get this thing fixed. Lastly what tools will I need?

Thanks in advance guys.

Actually, its not that bad to do so. A coil pack is only ~$30 at Advance and plugs are under $5.00 apiece even for the very best. If you have a multimeter (or can get one for cheap), you can check the resistance on the poles of the coil pack to determine if those are the culprit. If that's not the problem, its likely the plugs or plug wires. Pull the affected plug (I believe #6 is on the back of the engine, so its a little harder to reach) and see how it looks. If you need new wires, replace them all (and plugs) while you're doing it. A nice set of Borg-Warners that both my and my father's (2000 SSEi) cars are equipped with run under $30.00 and best of all come with a lifetime warranty.

Even if you go and replace everything, you're looking at $150 total for quality parts, though its likely just the one coil pack, so you're looking at $90. for one coil, plugs, and wires.

As far as labor, as said, fairly easy. You're looking at an hour's work to do it right and taking your time. The front plugs are the easiest of course, the rear set a bit trickier, but still reachable. Pulling coil packs is simple.

Let me know if I can help anymore.

Thanks Fly, I thought coil packs were nore expensive than that. What size socket will I need to pull the plugs? and what kind of clearence am I'm looking at for the rear plugs?

Thanks Fly, I thought coil packs were nore expensive than that. What size socket will I need to pull the plugs? and what kind of clearence am I'm looking at for the rear plugs?

I'll double check both at daybreak...if you can wait that long. ;)

As far as coilpacks, they go up to $80/per. My father purchased a set of high-performance ignition coils that ended up being $60 or so a piece, but he's doing a LOT more to the Bonnie than just maintenance; I just needed affordable coils, so mine were around $30.

• 3 weeks later...

5/8 spark plug socket to remove the plugs. Another thing, if you want to see if it is a skip, swap the coils around, if the skip moves to another cylinder, then you know that it is a coil.

Yup. I agree....

Check for tracking too, maybe run the car at night with the hood up, look for spark tracing where there shouldn't be any..?