Cadillac #7

So tonight after work I roped Sixty8 and his lovely new bride into taking a ride down to Warwick, Rhode Island (170-mile round trip) to pick up the latest addition to the fleet: a 1978 Cadillac Coupe DeVille with 94,000 miles and change on it. It's very clean for its age, everything works (except for the AC compressor, which is seized, which means I need a shorter belt if I want power steering!), colors are brown with a brown top and brown interior, and has very stylish late 80's Chevrolet truck wheels on it. Purchased for the paltry sum of $420, I plan to swap out the better parts (most notably the headliner board and the center section of the front bumper) with lesser quality ones from my '77 which will begin to undergo a good freshening up over the winter. The '78 will be registered and left at my girlfriend's house as a backup car for the both of us. Life is good with two Coupe DeVilles! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand cue Sixty8 with the pictures!

Here you go...

@ Sweet Caroline's house in Rhode Island:

Posted Image

And back in L-town.

Posted Image

Some people like Chocolate, some like Vanilla, but in typical

T!GHT WH1P$ fashion you gotta have both. The only thing

cooler than driving this brown bucket of bolts home w/ Julie

sound asleep with her head on my shoulder while we

averaged close to 85mph is the cars' immediate "nickname".

Brown Note

Not sure how many of you know the SOuth Park referance

but on the way down we were discussing the Chapelle Show

and other dumb crap and I thought of the Brown Note

episode of South Park, then when we saw this tripple-brown

Chocolate Suprise the nickname "Brown Note" just kind of

stuck. I mean that in the nicest way possible. :P

Edited by Sixty8panther

The perfect Tight Whip$ roadtrip means at least two

Bustleback "for sale" spottings, in the SAME driveway.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

New developments!

-The stuck hood latch was remedied by soaking the $h! out of it with WD40 and yanking the cable a dozen or so times to work it in. Closed the hood, pulled the handle, and she popped right up!

-Got the AC compressor unstuck! When I got the car, it didn't spin for $h!. So I banged on the nose of it about a dozen times with a hammer. Then I soaked the $h! out of it with PB Blaster (the greatest substance ever conceived by man) and let it seep in for about ten minutes. Then I threw the belt over all the pulleys, and started the car. A terrible squealing with instant smoke! This was normal, though, because the PB Blaster had to burn off the pulley. Once the oil burnt off, the belt still squealed and burnt a bit but the pulley began to turn ever so slowly. I gave the car some gas, and it began to turn a little more. Gave it some more and POW! The compressor was spinning freely! It made a pretty good grinding noise for the first five minutes as it ground all of the rust out of itself from not turning for so long, but after that, it spun nice and quiet. I've enjoyed over a hundred miles of driving with my power steering back and the more I drive, the better it gets.

This winter's gonna be a blast! :thumbsup:

Uh... those photos both suck but it's all I got, we never saw the car in the day.

Next time we hang out I'll snap some more.