Followers 0
PurdueGuy

NG Prius

4 posts in this topic

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/b...25-da72c9f8770d

World: Prius solar panels to run AC

The Ottawa Citizen

Published: Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Toyota Motor Corp. plans to install solar panels on some Prius hybrids in its next remodelling, responding to growing demand for "green" cars amid record-high oil prices, a source briefed on the matter said yesterday. The panels, supplied by Kyocera Corp., would be able to power part of the air-conditioning on high-end versions of the gasoline-electric Prius, the source said. "It's more of a symbolic gesture," said the source, who asked not to be identified. "It's very difficult to power much more than that with solar energy." Toyota is due to launch the third-generation Prius next year.

Cool... and yet I get the feeling that the conservatively styled Prius that looks somewhat nice will somehow manage to morph into something grotesque looking like the Camry, Tundra or the like.

"It's more of a symbolic gesture," said the source, who asked not to be identified. "It's very difficult to power much more than that with solar energy."

But at least it's a good start; and given the price of solar cells why not?

Honda has its own solar power subsidiary, Honda Soltec, which manufacturers solar cells. I wouldn't be surprised, if consumers react well to this, to see a similar trend on their hybrid cars.

I would like to have a solar powered hydrogen station at my house powering my home electrical needs and generating hydrogen for a Honda Clarity.... but alas I don't live in California <_< dream on....

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0