Drove a G6 today

Hidden
I was waiting for a friend out in Toronto, then I passed by a Pontiac dealer. I went in to grab how much they were selling the G6 for, and I was invited to a test drive. I thought... sure, why not. I always wanted to anyways. Model tested: Pontiac G6 GT /w Panoramic Sunroof 6km on the odometer I wanted a 4-cylinder, but they didn't have one. Gave me a GT tester instead. Interior: LIGHTYEARS ahead of my Cavalier. IMO it's much better than the Solstice as well. At least the door panels were finished properly and you can't see the edges. I really don't see why people are complaining. I sat in a VW Jetta (The Bora version, not the newest) earlier tonight, and it felt pretty much the same as the G6, except more cramped. So I really have no complaints about the fit and finish. Even my friend approves. He's always been trying to get me to go away from domestics (because he says a Chinese guy like me should be driving imports, it looks odd now for me to like a Pontiac). Capacity-wise, I'm extremely happy. Thanks to the longer wheelbase, the interior is huge. My friend only complained when I moved the front seat all the way back. Otherwise, at practical positions, it's perfectly fine. Although I'm not sure if this is just Seats are very comfy and supportive. No more sitting on a sponge like my Cavalier. I only sat in it for like 20 minutes, so I really have no idea how exactly it will feel after an hour drive. Perhaps if the dealer let me drive it to Waterloo, then I could tell. But that won't happen. But the first sit in it is impressive. One thing I didn't like too much, well, more of a personal taste, is that they moved the folding rear seat release into the trunk. I sort of got used to having it on the back seat itself, but it's really a personal taste. The tester came with a Panoramic sunroof. I thought it was cool, but it was really a niche thing and a selling point. It's a bit overpriced, but if you have the money, I would say go for it. It's like the signature of the G6. Another complaint is about the hand brake lever. Again probably not really a valid one, but I didn't like it myself. The release button location didn't really work out for me. It's under the lever instead of at the front, so you push it with your index finger instead of using your thumb. I got used to my Cavalier's at the thumb, and I think generally the thumb exerts a bit more force than the index finger. It's a more natural position for it to be at the front anyways. Easier snow handbrake drifting :P Exterior: It's a G6. What can I say. Design wise, I have no complaints. As I probably have mentioned before, one of my other friend, who lived his whole life in European luxury cars and will never even look at a domestic, thinks the G6 is sharp. My tester came with the 17" chrome wheels, but I personally didn't like it. Again, personal taste. I'm ordering mine (If I do get approval) with 16" alloys. One thing they might want to consider, is putting hydraulics for the hood lid. It's still a prop rod, but it would be nice to have hydraulics. Loved my Ma's 95 Lumina, no prop rod. Mechanical: I've heard complaints about the electrical steering, but I myself like it. It does feel wierd at first, but definitely after you get used to it, it feels nice. Especially when I got to the highway, the difference between the G6 and the Cavalier is significant. It was near effortless, and the steers were precise. Given that the plastic wrap around the steering is still there (it had a leather wrapped 3-spoke wheel BTW), it was sort of hard to hold the wheel physically. But I think the steering helped me a bit there. Tried the manual shift mode, didn't work for me. Shifts were a bit lazy and slow. But anyways, my prospective model doesn't have it. Not really a concern to me, but I would suggest to actually make it work, this is probably a point for improvement. Plus, manual shifting a 4 speed is no fun. The 201 HP V6 in the G6 is perfectly adequate. The G6 felt heavy, and I almost got into my bad habit of flooring (as I usually do with Cavy). I could only say the 3.5L is a monster. I felt the power. I freaked my friend as well with quick red to green light pickups. The engine tone was gorgeous. Again, pushrods at its best. Verdict: I'm ordering mine once I get approval. See what I mean? I would recommend someone who hates domestic and trys to beat the crap out of them to actually try it first before further comments. Sorry, no pics. I was having too much fun with the car. I keep on forgetting to use my camera phone...
Hidden

Interior: LIGHTYEARS ahead of my Cavalier. IMO it's much better than the Solstice as well. At least the door panels were finished properly and you can't see the edges. I really don't see why people are complaining. I sat in a VW Jetta (The Bora version, not the newest) earlier tonight, and it felt pretty much the same as the G6, except more cramped. So I really have no complaints about the fit and finish. Even my friend approves. He's always been trying to get me to go away from domestics (because he says a Chinese guy like me should be driving imports, it looks odd now for me to like a Pontiac).

I had the same impression with the interior... its the just the center stack design that I don't like. Also, no offense, but your friend is a douche for thinking like that. Again, I mean no offense. It's just that race/nationality/etc. doesn't play a role in what vehicle one drives. Everybody looks normal driving anything... unless you'r driving an Amish buggy, but that's besides the point! :P

One thing I didn't like too much, well, more of a personal taste, is that they moved the folding rear seat release into the trunk. I sort of got used to having it on the back seat itself, but it's really a personal taste.

Well... it's in the same location as it was on Grand Ams. It's also one more reason why it should be called Grand Am, damnit! :D