Blower motor resistor

daishi48

I'm not sure how hard it is to replace on your vehicle; the last one I did it on was my old '01 Dodge Stratus. I can't believe the design on this very basic part is all that different. It's very, very common for the resistor to be located under the passenger dash/glove-box area. On mine, once you removed the kick-panel, you had one bolt that held the resistor in place. Remove the bolt, unplug the old one and that was it.

It is behind the blower motor, it might be easier to remove the motor and then you will have easy access to the resistor. Buy a spare, you may need another one, as with the many other parts that fail frequently on those cars.

• 1 month later...
God luck... the fan has not worked on the Coupe DeVille for almost a month... getting to be a real annoyance! :(

the Trans Sport when the fan is on cold air the rush of air is strong but when its on hot air the on the air flow is almost nothing. Any ideas?

I had a '93 Grand Am that had the same symptoms. The fan was working, but the flow of heat/air was next-to-non-existent from the dash vents. You have the feeling that you'd need to sit on top of the dash to feel any heat what-so-ever. Annoying as hell. Anyways, I have a mechanic buddy of mine that knew exactly what the issue was:

You have an evaporator core up near the firewall; and it's probably got a slow leak & is now collecting dust & crap (from the moisture). You can replace the evap core (pricey) & that's what most shops will want to do: (1) they won't have you comming back next week/next month/next year, and (2) it's a costlier repair -> more profit for them.

My mechanic buddy took the bolts holding the blower motor out, removed the blower motor and shoved a power sprayer into the cavity and blew everything out. I believe there was some sort of resister thats mounted into that cowling/assembly that you want to remove as well -- something like 2 bolts to it -- just unbolt it, and pull it out of the way so it doesn't get wet. You can probably get by with just a hose as well. Disassembly, spraying, and assembly took all of 10 minutes. Best of all, this is a rather simple repair that you can perform yourself at the cost of only your time. I had heat/air flow like crazy after that. Best of luck! Edited by cmattson

• 2 weeks later...