VIDEO: Honda's strategy of winning through failure

As enthusiasts, we sometimes make the mistake of referring to Honda as a car company. Honda started out as a motorcycle manufacturer, and now makes everything from generators to IRL engines to robots. The Japanese automaker has produced a series of short films to give the rest of the world a better idea of what it's all about. There are three videos so far, and the latest of these short documentary-style productions is about Honda's unique view of failure. The video, titled "Failure: The Secret to Success," provides insight into the thought process of company founder Soichiro Honda, and how he viewed failure as a means to winning. It also shows how much Honda, a successful car company by all accounts, has failed in the past and what it's learned from those missteps. Have you ever seen an orange 1996 Civic? Neither have we, and you'll know why when you watch the video after the jump.

The short film includes appearances by racing team chiefs, designers, engineers, and the one and only Danica Patrick. The video is just over eight minutes long, and it's available to view after the jump. It's worth your time whether you love the big H or not.

Autoblog

Good video. I have to admit, I am a closet Honda fan. You may never hear me admit that again. I think most of their current vehicles are unattractive but I did like the last TL, RL, Accord Coupe... The wife almost bought an '05 TL and we also looked at the '05 Accord coupe. Wound up with an '05 Saab 9-3 though. :lol:

I felt it worth posting because I thought the video was very well done and the philosophy is something special.

Of course there is always that question as to how deep/real philosophies promoted by such PR pieces really are. Toyota has long made a big deal about their lean manufacturing focus, yet there have been many evidences that they are not as guided by lean as they like to claim, including quality and overproduction issues in the last 5-10 years - an issue likely caused by their desire to become the largest manufacturer. Greed usurped quality.

I used to like Honda but these days their J-series engines and 5-spd autos are too weak for me to consider. I almost picked up a used '08 TL (some amazing deals) but decided to go with the 09 G37. I liked the Honda's quieter engine and I found the seats sublime. And oddly I actually preferred the TL's interior much more than the G's and even newer TL's. But when pushed aggressively the TL shows its inferior fwd balance.

Very nice piece. My own mantra follows this with regard to how much I value mistakes and failure in order to progress. Learning from other people's mistakes doesn't always net the best overall results. If one doesn't try for themselves, one never truly knows how successful they've become.

I have always respected the effort Honda makes, despite choices that I don't consider appealing. Heck, our 15 year old, plastic bodied, self-propelled Honda lawn mower has outlasted every other we've owned.