TrailBlazer/Envoy Redo Delayed

Nodnarb

By Rick Kranz and Jamie LaReau
Automotive News / December 05, 2005
DETROIT -- General Motors has canceled an extensive re-engineering of the Chevrolet TrailBlazer and GMC Envoy for mid-2007.

The automaker will change the exterior and interior styling and probably push back the restyled vehicles' introduction to January 2008, say sources familiar with the vehicle program.

GM's decision reflects the sales nosedive of truck-based SUVs, the automaker's financial plight and the expectation that many SUV owners will shift to crossover vehicles that offer better fuel economy.

Combined U.S. sales of the TrailBlazer and Envoy this year through November were 319,591 units, down 16.4 percent from the year-ago period.

Other vehicles on the mid-sized SUV architecture are the Buick Rainier, which is scheduled to die after the 2007 model year; the Saab 9-7X; and the Isuzu Ascender.

Still to be decided is whether GM will continue to offer both standard and stretched versions of the TrailBlazer and Envoy, sources say.

The stretched versions are made primarily in the Oklahoma City plant, which GM plans to close next year.

https://www.autonews.com/buyArchives.cms?articleId=55632

I think that this was pretty well established, but this confirms it. Edited by Nodnarb

These vehicles are already long in the tooth now. Imagine how they will look in two long years. Ick. This just goes to show that GM cannot do enough product developement concurrently. It continues the past problem of keeping products around much too long which does nothing put continue to make the entire GM products lines look outdated. Mark

That's not the Issue. GM is evaluating whethere there will be a direct replacement at all.

[post="53143"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

...which is proof again that GM doesn't have a forward looking plan - if any plan at all. To date, their moves are purely reactive, rather than proactive.

GM is like a disorganized team with an inept coach. Rather than providing leadership, the coach looks to his players for advice. Each player providing different ideas. The result is confusion and no direction.

Wagoner is a mess. He gets a handful of ideas from his co-workers, and tries to implement them all - with the hopes that "more is better", and if he just keeps tossing things into the pot, sooner or later the soup will turn out to be tasty.

That's not leadership. Its called hopeless gambling. Its called panic. This guy has no plan other than to make the bottom line look good. The problem is, he's got the cart before the horse. Rather than developing a long term product goal which will lead to a good bottom line, he tries to get his bottom line dollar to look good, hoping for a long term product result.

Wagoner is soooo in over his head. Edited by greg_nate

... whether there should be a direct replacement or should the Enclave/Acadia etc. fill the gap. They may cut it down to just the Trailblazer, and they are getting rid of the GMT 370s. They have a long-term plan - right out to the middle of next decade. In same cases it may not be the right plan, ands some details are still being worked out in regard to cost and market position. Everyone has to be reactive. In very few (if any) segments is any one company capable of defining the market paradigm and ignoring what the rest of the market is doing. Get off your high-horse before someone knocks you over.

...which is proof again that GM doesn't have a forward looking plan - if any plan at all. To date, their moves are purely reactive, rather than proactive.

GM is like a disorganized team with an inept coach. Rather than providing leadership, the coach looks to his players for advice. Each player providing different ideas. The result is confusion and no direction.

GOSPEL!!!

These vehicles are already long in the tooth now. Imagine how they will look in two long years. Ick.

This just goes to show that GM cannot do enough product developement concurrently. It continues the past problem of keeping products around much too long which does nothing put continue to make the entire GM products lines look outdated.

Another excellent post, I agree 100%

The new Lambda vehicles may be a suitable replacement for these trucks. However, I feel there is still a market (albeit currently shrinking) for body-on-frame trucks. If GM were to "restyle" these vehicles and keep them on the market for a few more years, I'd expect a few things. Most important solving the truck's poor reliability and resulting damage to brand image. While I have no first hand observations, I've read in numerous publications that these trucks have very poor reliability. For GM's sake of improving quality and shortening the "perception gap," these vehicles must be "fixed." A second issue is build quality, specifically pertaining to fit, finish and consistency. I expect the large gaps, poor interior quality etc to already be taken care of given GM's consistent improvements in product. Lastly is transmission...I remember from driving an Envoy that I thought it could use an extra gear and a little quicker response. I think GM should definitely phase out the TB/Envoy IF Lambda vehicles are a suitable replacement. As you know, less models=more focus, more money...

GM can't be too pleased with the sales nosedive of the new Ford Explorer. That one has an all-new interior, bigger engine with better fuel economy, and a five speed tranny. What gives? People are reevaluating whether they need these as family vehicles. Fortunately, the Ford Freestyle is an industry-competitive car-based ute that can pick up Explorer customers. GM may be trying to "turn on a dime" and put its resources behind a similar vehicle.

I love the styling of the Trailblazer I just know too many people who have had major mechanical issues with them. The stigma is huge. I don't want to see midsize car based SUVs because I still feel the need to tow something every once in a while and I want a real truck, they need to work out the bugs and rename them all maybe people will forget after a while.

Currently I own a GMC ENVOY, I am leasing an ENVOY XL DENALI for my wife, have previously leased a Trailblazer EXT, and my son owns a Jimmy. I have NEVER had any mechanical issues with the car. The Trailblazer EXT had one problem with the rear windshield wiper that was fixed immediately. I dont see where these reliability issues are comming from. Other than that one minor complaint Ive had only good luck w/ all of those GMC / Chevy SUVs