2006 Corvette Z51

HarleyEarl

Posted Image

December 7, 2005
First Drive: 2006 Corvette Coupe Z51

Review and photos by Michael La Fave

Over the years I have had the opportunity to drive a lot of Corvettes. I even sort of own one: a 1987 coupe with the mid-level Bilstein performance suspension, oil and trans coolers, shorter final drive and every conceivable luxury feature. The point of telling you about the '87 is to simultaneously divulge what might be perceived as a bias and the desire to express my fondness of the marque. Some of my favourite 'Vettes (that I've driven) are: our two-tone '87, the 330-hp, six-speed manual 1996 Collector's Edition, the 2001 Corvette Z06 and a rare, custom-built Z06 convertible by a Toronto customizer, Caravaggio Corvettes (www.caravaggiocorvettes.com).

I've also driven a few that I didn't like so much, namely a 2003 Anniversary Edition coupe in which I learned a valuable and expensive lesson about decreasing radius corners – admittedly the fault was mine not the car's, but it still didn't have the feedback I like in a performance car. Two convertibles also make my least favourite list: a 2004 and just this past summer a 2005. The convertibles were especially un-enjoyable to me with their soft suspensions and unpredictable, at-the-limit handling. Some other staffers found the '05 an ideal cruiser so what follows is obviously highly subjective.

All that being said, I'm willing to forgive and forget all the Corvettes I haven't liked for two that I absolutely love: a 2006 Z51 with the new paddle-shiftable, six-speed automatic and the new Z06 (see below).

When we were in Las Vegas for the SEMA (Specialty Equipment Marketers Association) trade show, General Motors also gave us the opportunity to stretch the legs of five new models on a desert blast that took us down the Las Vegas strip, through Lake Mead and Valley of Fire National Parks.

Luckily, I secured the 'Vette's keys for a 50 kilometre, high-speed stretch through Lake Mead National Park. These are the roads that the Corvette was built for. Long gentle corners, suspension-compressing valleys and blind hillside crests. The steering wheel mounted paddles are easily reachable and help make the most of the car's impressive 400 hp V8.

Floor the pedal from a dead stop with the traction control deactivated and the tires peel out as if you're on ice. Within a few moments they find their grip and the car rockets forward. An automatic or manually selected shift to second makes the rear end wiggle and there's another surge of power as the tranny's torque converter multiplies the engine's power.

Speed is nothing new for a Corvette, which isn't ultimately what made the Z51 so special. It was, in fact, the optional Z51 suspension system that has stiffer springs and shocks, drilled brake rotors, shorter gearing and more direct steering. On these roads the car's ride is taught, well controlled and comfortable. For a relatively large performance car, the Z51 equipped 'Vette is direct and responsive. The worst road imperfections do cause the rear end to skip around a bit, but the car never felt scary or unpredictable. Once set into a corner, all 400 hp can be poured through the rear wheels making the 'Vette one of the fastest grand touring cars I've ever driven.

That's right, the 'Vette is a grand tourer not a sports car. With a roomy comfortable interior, a huge trunk, excellent high-speed fuel efficiency, comfortable ride quality and rafts of luxury and convenience features, this 'Vette is a great GT similar to an Aston DB9 or BMW 645Ci.

Our test car had an excellent stereo system and a very cool tinted transparent roof panel. A head up display (HUD) is standard and lets the driver see road speed, engine speed, cornering Gs, engine temp, fuel level and gear selection all without having to take eyes off the road. You can order the car with a painted roof, tinted panel, or a package that includes both for around $2000. With the advent of the new paddle-shift automatic the manual transmission becomes the standard tranny and the automatic is now an option. All told our Z51 coupe was about $80,000 Canadian.

A lot of money to be sure, but when you consider what you are getting and how much the competition costs, the Corvette still represents the best performance value in the high-end coupe segment.

He likes the 4th gen but has numerous flaws with the 5th.... somewaht strange and unexpected. :huh: