Fiero Quiz

Yep, I'm back in regards to the trivia forum. First up... a Fiero quiz! :D

Short Answer Answer each with a simple answer; 1 point each.
Who designed it?
What automatic transmission did it have?
Where was it produced?
What award did it recieve?
What was the code for the Getrag 5-speed?
What month and year did production start?

True or False Answer each with true or false, correcting the false; 2 points each.
For 1987, the "Iron-Duke" was rated at 97hp.
Lotus helped in the design of the updated suspension for 1988.
T-tops were available on the GT for 1988.
$30 million was spent on redesigned suspension, vented disc brakes, and a rear sway bar for 1988.
At the Milford proving grounds, Fieros with turbo-charged V8s were secretly tested.
The Fiero recieved a 5 star frontal crash test rating.

Essay Answer with a detailed explaination; 10 points.
Why was the Fiero cancelled?

In approximately one week from today, Saturday the 24th at 12:00am, I will collect scores and announce the winner(s). Shortly afterwards, I will post the correct answers. Through PMs, I will give the prize choices to the winner(s).

BTW, the last one is very important. :AH-HA_wink: Also, there really are prizes. Just minor ones, though. :P

wow... even I do not have THIS much time on my hands. :P I'll get around to doing this just not right now since it's 2:47am.

Well... since he was the only one to try, WMJ wins!

Short Answer Answer each with a simple answer; 1 point each.
Who designed it?

The main dude was Hulki Aldikacti.

Not correct as he was the engineering director while Ron Hill of GM's Advanced Design III section designed the body and it was finallized by John Schinella's production studio. +0

What automatic transmission did it have?

That would be a Turbo-Hydramatic 125, the only transmission I can think of that is more worthless than the TH200.

Correct. +1

Where was it produced?

That would be Pontiac, Michigan. Funny that.

Correct. +1

What award did it recieve?

Making it on the "10 Best list" for "Car and Driver" magazine.

Correct. +1

What was the code for the Getrag 5-speed?

I'm fairly sure it is MG2, but it might be MT2. I am pretty MT2 was the Izuzu five speed though.

Correct. +1

What month and year did production start?

August 1983 I believe, but don't quote me on that.

Correct. +1

True or False Answer each with true or false, correcting the false; 2 points each.
For 1987, the "Iron-Duke" was rated at 97hp.

False. It was 98 horsepower.

Correct. +2

Lotus helped in the design of the updated suspension for 1988.

More false. It was all Pontiac designed, replacing the Chevette stuff that was there before.

Correct. +2

T-tops were available on the GT for 1988.

True. I think they only made about 1,200 of them.

Only half correct as they were also available on the Formula. +1

$30 million was spent on redesigned suspension, vented disc brakes, and a rear sway bar for 1988.

More true.

Correct. +2

At the Milford proving grounds, Fieros with turbo-charged V8s were secretly tested.

False-a-roni. I know they tested some turbocharged 2.9 V6's in them, but I have never heard of a turbo'd V8 in a Fiero.

Correct. +2

The Fiero recieved a 5 star frontal crash test rating.

N/A

Not Correct. +0

Essay Answer with a detailed explaination; 10 points.
Why was the Fiero cancelled?

Roger Smith, the Chairman of GM at the time, decided that the Fiero would have to sell over 50,000 a year in order to be profitable. True, but in reality, it made a profit every year... At the time, the 1988 Fiero only sold about 26,000 or so, and the plant was capable of making up to 300,000 cars a year. Also, the Fiero plant could not make any other cars on it's line due to some giant drill press needed to make the space frame (Anyone know anymore about this?). Not sure about that... Other reasons include that the Fiero kept making more and more profit while the Corvette guys were whining that the Fiero was stealing sales from them and that was why the Corvette was not making any money and the fires in the 1984's kind of killed some of the Fiero buzz. That along with a certain Fiero prototype that beat the pants off a Corvette helped to kill to Fiero as well. That along with no money for marketing and GM going on a FWD binge it has yet to get off. Some say it was because GM thought there was no market for two seater cars, but then why was the Corvette still around? Hard to believe they thought the LeMans would make a good replacement. Pffft

I was looking for more specifics, but for the most part... you were correct. +9

Mr. WMJ got 23/28 and was the only participant.

Your prize:

Posted Image

You may claim your prize by traveling to Brookville, giving me a BJ, and transporting it home. Enjoy! :D

You cheated! :o ...haha. Actually, I just checked that out and Wikipedia has alot of those answers... Damnit. Damn wikipedia. Next time I guess I ought to check out sites like that before I do some trivia. Bastards. As for Hulki, yes he was the main guy in the Fiero's development, but I wanted who designed the Fiero's... well, design; styling. I guess I could have make that more clear. Of course... I'm only using what I know and what info I have. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't always trust Wikipedia...