Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Neither Chevy or Ford REAL Winner

Lost in the controversy of whether Chevy passed Ford in total sales for the 1st time in about 15yrs was that Toyota became the best selling automobile nameplate in America (cars only not trucks, only Toyota alone not counting Lexus or Scion). This has not happened since the late 1800's that an American nameplate has not been the best selling car in America! Although everyone has seen it coming it is truly a sad thing to see as an American. What would Henry Ford, William Durant or Walter P Chrysler have said? Ford and GM should be more concern about how pathetic Toyota continues to make them look than which one sold more cars and trucks. Soon Toyota will have that title too in a few yrs anyway.

And Toyota did not just pass Chevy and Ford this yr in cars, they blew them away:

2005 2004

Toyota 981,000 865,000

Chevy 899,000 908,000

Ford 742,000 684,000

This is a story not only the auto press but the mainstream press should have picked up. The funniest part is how Toyota does not use it in their advertising the way Chevy plasters it in their ads because they are afraid of consumer backlash against a foreign company taking over on of America's biggest sales crowns.

Go ahead Chevy and Ford agure over today's prize....Toyota is the one really smiling and that smile will only grow larger over the next few years.

And Toyota did not just pass Chevy and Ford this yr in cars, they blew them away:

2005              2004

Toyota      981,000        865,000

Chevy    899,000        908,000

Ford          742,000        684,000

Wow....I didn't realize this had happened.....

Those numbers are WAY scarier when you consider GM and Ford's (relative to Toyota) dependence on rental and fleet sales.

WOW...This is lame. No offense man, but this has a lot of subjective aspects to it.

And what's worse is that cars aren't even the majority of automotive sales in America anymore. Yet still, we're subjected to this...

A *FIXED* measure of Toyota's success in comparison to GM and Ford and a tongue lashing about how Toyota is so much better.

GM and Ford are perfectly right and justified to advertise the best seller titles and I don't even need to justify it's benefits with an explanation, meanwhile, the worthless press luckily isn't smart enough to be able to stack the deck like this to 'make' news.

What is Toyota affraid of???/ There will be no backlash. They along with their worshippers in the press have helped to turn 30-50% of americans AGAINST Detroit. Where's the backlash in that??????

Furthermore, I'd like to see a source of where these numbers came from.

Somehow I find it hard to believe that Toyota, especially the brand alone, gained 116,000 sales in one year, especially when they had NO significant introduction, and phased out models.

Chevrolet has been GAINING ground, not losing ground. Albeit that might be on the truck side, but it's highly doubtful given the fuel crisis and it's impact on sales as well as the growth of new models such as Cobalt, Aveo and HHR to mention a few.

WOW...This is lame. No offense man, but this has a lot of subjective aspects to it.

Furthermore, I'd like to see a source of where these numbers came from.

I'm just reporting the facts more people should be aware of man. The numbers speak for themself. They are from Automotive News year end tally and they correspond exactly to what the manufactures report. (it can be found online or in the issue for either the 1st or 2nd wk of Jan 2006) No offense but your kind of denial thinking that Chevy and Ford have nothing to worry about is what has gotten them passed. Stop drinking the kool-aid buddy.

Stop drinking the kool-aid buddy.

FoG may be misunderstood but he does not drink the Kool-Aid. :mellow:

I checked Toyota's individual numbers since it was questioned how they had such a big gain in 2005.

Avalon from 36,000 in 2005 to 95,000 in 2006... net gain 59,000

Camry from 426,000 to 431,000 ... net gain 5,000

Corolla from 240,000 down to 231,000 ... net loss 9,000

Matrix from 92,000 to 109,000 ... net gain 17000

Prius from 53,000 to 107,000 ... net gain 54000

Celica from 8,000 to 3,000 ... net loss 5000

Echo from 3800 to 1500 .... net loss 2300

MR2 from 2600 to 700 .... net loss 1900

SOURCE: AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

That totals to a gain of 116K units in 2005 passanger car sales.

Don't get me worry, I'm definetly not a Toyota guy but I highly respect them and I just think people should be aware of a MAJOR event in automotive history. Maybe if enough people in Detroit show some American pride and get irked by it, Detroit can draw a line in the sand & make a stand in cars instead of just handing that market over and retreating further to become just TRUCK companies. (GM, Ford, and Chrysler all sell about 2/3's of their sales as "trucks") The gas crisis of 2006 showed how dangerous it be to be too heavily reliant on trucks for profits. Its obivious Toyota will not be satisfied with only the passanger car crown.

I'm just reporting the facts more people should be aware of man.  The numbers speak for themself.  They are from Automotive News year end tally and they correspond exactly to what the manufactures report.  (it can be found online or in the issue for either the 1st or 2nd wk of Jan 2006)  No offense but your kind of denial thinking that Chevy and Ford have nothing to worry about is what has gotten them passed.  Stop drinking the kool-aid buddy.

LMAO!!!!

Denial.... Yep, that's it... That's why I predict in almost EVERY post that Detroit will not exist in 10-20 years.

You wanna see my reality... Go look at the new Tundra thread.

Oh and thanks for clearing the numbers up. :)

LMAO!!!!

Denial.... Yep, that's it... That's why I predict in almost EVERY post that Detroit will not exist in 10-20 years.

You wanna see my reality... Go look at the new Tundra thread.

Oh and thanks for clearing the numbers up.  :)

Ok, good then we do see eye to eye on the coming future. Maybe others will wake up with products like the Chrysler 300 before its too late.