dfelt

Key Car Quality Study Ranks Software bugs as most common complaint.

So the latest report came out with software bugs being the biggest complaint now.

One interesting note is that Mini is still at the bottom of the quality pile and for those that talk about how Great MB and BMW are, Caddilac again beats them on Quality.

So what gives, is this just bashing to bash or is the study that flawed?

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/key-car-quality-study-ranks-software-bugs-most-170243393.html

Sound off and tell me what you think! :)

Sounds like they need better QA efforts. Software bugs are the bane of my work life...(my bugs, bugs in other people's code, etc).

Sounds like they need better QA efforts. Software bugs are the bane of my work life...(my bugs, bugs in other people's code, etc).

There was a story that all Automakers were on the hunt for QA software engineers. This was their biggest area of growth.

There was a story that all Automakers were on the hunt for QA software engineers. This was their biggest area of growth.

Part of the problem in software engineering in general is it seems very few people actually like doing QA work..those that are very good at it and enjoy it are tough to find. I know as a developer and architect I prefer to work on the design, implementation, and deployment aspects...

Part of the problem in software engineering in general is it seems very few people actually like doing QA work..those that are very good at it and enjoy it are tough to find. I know as a developer and architect I prefer to work on the design, implementation, and deployment aspects...

True, but for those of us that love to test, we can make a very good living at it finding the bugs! :P

True, but for those of us that love to test, we can make a very good living at it finding the bugs! :P

True enough..good testers are hard to find but very valuable on projects, esp. big complex ones like I seem to end thrown in..

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Today's Birthdays

1. SalesmanSean
      SalesmanSean
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      If you thought this tangled web of deceit and lies that is the Volkswagen diesel emission scandal could not go any further, then you would be wrong.
      German newspaper, Bild am Sonntag reports that the California Air Resources Board (CARB) found illegal software on certain Audi models that would reduce CO2 emissions during lab tests. The software monitored the position of the steering wheel and would activate a special program in the automatic transmission if the wheel didn't move more than 15 degrees - signifying it was in the lab. CARB technicians, taking the lessons of the Volkswagen investigation, began turning the wheel during the lab test to simulate being driven on the road, thus revealing the cheat. Bild doesn't say where they got this information from. but the Wall Street Journal was able to confirm this through two sources, saying this was discovered four months back. Another source revealed this cheat was discussed between Audi, Volkswagen, and CARB officials "some months ago".
      What makes this cheat different than the one used on the 2.0L and 3.0L TDI engines is that this software was used on vehicles running gas or diesel. The transmission in question (known internally as AL 551) was used in a number of Audi vehicles such as the A6, A8, and Q5. Reuters says the software in question was used until May 2016, before CARB discovered it in an older Audi model.
      This defeat device was also mentioned during an annual test drive of new vehicles in South Africa, known as 'Summer Drive" back in February 2013. Minutes of a meeting during the drive obtained by the Wall Street Journal reveals that Axel Eiser, the head of Audi’s powertrain division saying, The shifting program needs to be configured so that it runs at 100% on the treadmill but only 0.01% with the customer.”
      These new allegations could put Audi and Volkswagen into a tougher spot in the U.S.
      Stay tuned.
      Source: Bild am Sonntag, Reuters, The Wall Street Journal (Subscription Required)

View full article
    • By William Maley
      If you thought this tangled web of deceit and lies that is the Volkswagen diesel emission scandal could not go any further, then you would be wrong.
      German newspaper, Bild am Sonntag reports that the California Air Resources Board (CARB) found illegal software on certain Audi models that would reduce CO2 emissions during lab tests. The software monitored the position of the steering wheel and would activate a special program in the automatic transmission if the wheel didn't move more than 15 degrees - signifying it was in the lab. CARB technicians, taking the lessons of the Volkswagen investigation, began turning the wheel during the lab test to simulate being driven on the road, thus revealing the cheat. Bild doesn't say where they got this information from. but the Wall Street Journal was able to confirm this through two sources, saying this was discovered four months back. Another source revealed this cheat was discussed between Audi, Volkswagen, and CARB officials "some months ago".
      What makes this cheat different than the one used on the 2.0L and 3.0L TDI engines is that this software was used on vehicles running gas or diesel. The transmission in question (known internally as AL 551) was used in a number of Audi vehicles such as the A6, A8, and Q5. Reuters says the software in question was used until May 2016, before CARB discovered it in an older Audi model.
      This defeat device was also mentioned during an annual test drive of new vehicles in South Africa, known as 'Summer Drive" back in February 2013. Minutes of a meeting during the drive obtained by the Wall Street Journal reveals that Axel Eiser, the head of Audi’s powertrain division saying, The shifting program needs to be configured so that it runs at 100% on the treadmill but only 0.01% with the customer.”
      These new allegations could put Audi and Volkswagen into a tougher spot in the U.S.
      Stay tuned.
      Source: Bild am Sonntag, Reuters, The Wall Street Journal (Subscription Required)
    • By William Maley
      Take this story with a fair amount of salt as the outlet who broke this story doesn't say where it got this information.

According to a report from German newspaper Bild am Sonntag, U.S. authorities have uncovered three more pieces of illegal software in the 3.0L TDI V6 used on the Volkswagen Touareg, Audi Q7, and Porsche Cayenne. The various pieces of software can turn off the emissions control systems after 22 minutes of driving. This would allow a vehicle to pass an emissions test (which lasts about 20 minutes).

The use of this type of software is common in vehicles sold in Europe thanks to a loophole in European Union laws. This came to light back in May as the German Government asked Opel for more information on software used on the Zafira diesel that would turn off the emission controls.

Bild goes on to say that U.S. authorities have set up a meeting with Audi officials this week to discuss this. Not surprisingly, Audi and the EPA declined to comment.

Source: Bild am Sonntag via Reuters
    • By William Maley
      Take this story with a fair amount of salt as the outlet who broke this story doesn't say where it got this information.

According to a report from German newspaper Bild am Sonntag, U.S. authorities have uncovered three more pieces of illegal software in the 3.0L TDI V6 used on the Volkswagen Touareg, Audi Q7, and Porsche Cayenne. The various pieces of software can turn off the emissions control systems after 22 minutes of driving. This would allow a vehicle to pass an emissions test (which lasts about 20 minutes).

The use of this type of software is common in vehicles sold in Europe thanks to a loophole in European Union laws. This came to light back in May as the German Government asked Opel for more information on software used on the Zafira diesel that would turn off the emission controls.

Bild goes on to say that U.S. authorities have set up a meeting with Audi officials this week to discuss this. Not surprisingly, Audi and the EPA declined to comment.

Source: Bildam Sonntag via Reuters

Click here to view the article
    • By William Maley
      Audi announced this afternoon that the 3.0L TDI V6 did have a defeat device that allowed the engine to circumvent U.S. clean air laws.

In a statement, the German automaker said that it failed to disclose three emission control software functions, also known as auxiliary emissions control devices (AECD) to the various agencies as required by law. One of devices, a 'temperature conditioning of the exhaust‑gas cleaning system' was deemed to be illegal by the EPA as it could detect when it was being tested for emissions and turn on the pollution-control equipment to cut emission levels down.

Audi also announced the plan to fix the vehicles that will involve a software update to 85,000+ vehicles with the V6 diesel. The company will submit new U.S. government emission certification paperwork for the software. If approved by the EPA and California Air Resources Board, Audi will release software to dealers to perform the fix,

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Audi

Press Release is on Page 2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 → Last »

Click here to view the article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets