Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Opel/Vauxhall News: Rumorpile: Did GM China and Buick Water Down The GM-PSA Alliance?

Recommended Posts

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

September 6, 2012

The General Motors, PSA alliance has hit a wall. According to German news magazine, Der Spiegel, one part of GM-PSA alliance has been taken out. The part dealt with GM sharing the Insignia platform with Citroën and Peugeot to build their next-generation midsize sedans.That would also allow Citroën and Peugeot vehicles to roll off the line at the Rüsselsheim plant, thus allowing the plant to use up all available capacity.

Why was this part taken out? Der Spiegel says Buick and GM China complained, stating the deal would cause the vehicles to compete too closely. Managers are also questioning the cooperation between the two companies.

"It would be premature to assume that anything had been agreed upon before and has now been reversed," the spokesman said to Reuters, adding that discussions were continuing with an emphasis on cooperation in purchasing, logistics and product development.

Source: Der Spiegel, Reuters

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.


View full article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This comes across as a pissing match of turf wars and who cares what dynamic benefits and cost savings it can bring to the party, Clearly some people do not want others there.

Sad that in this day and age, they cannot understand the importance of bringing higher quality products along with lower prices to beat out the competition.

I do not see much gain from the GM-PSA alliance since it is so watered down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 58 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online



  • Social Stream

  • Similar Content

    • By William Maley
      Maven, General Motors' car-sharing service launched in 2016 will be ceasing operation in several cities in the U.S.
      The news was first broken by the Wall Street Journal on Monday and has been confirmed by a GM spokeswoman. Eight out of the seventeen markets that the service operates including Boston and Chicago will be closed down within the next few months. According to the spokeswoman, the shutdown is due to GM wanting to "concentrate on markets in which we have the strongest current demand and growth potential." Those markets in question include Detroit, Los Angeles, and Toronto.
      Another possible reason is the lack of awareness of Maven in the eight markets being shut down. There isn't enough demand for people wanting to use car-sharing or wanting to allow the use of their vehicles.
      Source: Wall Street Journal (Subscription Required), Automotive News (Subscription Required)

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      Maven, General Motors' car-sharing service launched in 2016 will be ceasing operation in several cities in the U.S.
      The news was first broken by the Wall Street Journal on Monday and has been confirmed by a GM spokeswoman. Eight out of the seventeen markets that the service operates including Boston and Chicago will be closed down within the next few months. According to the spokeswoman, the shutdown is due to GM wanting to "concentrate on markets in which we have the strongest current demand and growth potential." Those markets in question include Detroit, Los Angeles, and Toronto.
      Another possible reason is the lack of awareness of Maven in the eight markets being shut down. There isn't enough demand for people wanting to use car-sharing or wanting to allow the use of their vehicles.
      Source: Wall Street Journal (Subscription Required), Automotive News (Subscription Required)
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Among General Motor's restructuring and cost slashing activities of 2018, GM was apparently in talks to sell their headquarters in Detroit.  GM bought the Renaissance Center in 1996 for $70 million and has made substantial renovations over the years.   The RenCen, as it is also known, was originally built by Ford in 1971 who later sold it in the 1980s.
      The potential buyer was billionaire Dan Gilbert.  Talks fell through rather early because the aging structure requires expensive upgrades to its heating and air conditioning systems along with other renovations. There does not appear to be another buyer in talks with GM at this time.
      News of the potential sale follow a year of cost cutting measures by the company that include closing five North American plants and cutting up to 14,000 jobs.  The company hopes to have $6 Billion in annual savings by 2020. 

      View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Among General Motor's restructuring and cost slashing activities of 2018, GM was apparently in talks to sell their headquarters in Detroit.  GM bought the Renaissance Center in 1996 for $70 million and has made substantial renovations over the years.   The RenCen, as it is also known, was originally built by Ford in 1971 who later sold it in the 1980s.
      The potential buyer was billionaire Dan Gilbert.  Talks fell through rather early because the aging structure requires expensive upgrades to its heating and air conditioning systems along with other renovations. There does not appear to be another buyer in talks with GM at this time.
      News of the potential sale follow a year of cost cutting measures by the company that include closing five North American plants and cutting up to 14,000 jobs.  The company hopes to have $6 Billion in annual savings by 2020. 
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Buick is reportedly working on a crossover coupe to add to its lineup in the US.  This vehicle would be in addition to, rather than replace, any vehicles in the current lineup. 
      Most of Buick's recent lineup has been a rebadge of some other brand's designs, this new vehicle would be a departure from that with Buick leading the design process from the start. CarDesignNews was shown some sketches and models of future Buicks and what they saw would "turn everything you think about Buick on its ear".  It is a bold design that will shock people both inside and outside the industry.  The designs would feel familiar without using specific cues. 
      Buick also took the time to insist that Buick would not become a China-only brand even though 4 out of every 5 Buicks are sold there. The bulk of the design work takes place in Warren, Michigan, while smaller design teams work in Shanghai, Melbourne, and near Seoul. 
      As far as the name, Buick has trademarked Enspire for the U.S., so that has a strong possibility of coming to fruition. No timeline is set for the release of the new crossover, but the overhaul of the Buick look is well underway.
       

      View full article
  • My Clubs

  • Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...