• Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

    Rumorpile: Did GM China and Buick Water Down The GM-PSA Alliance?


    William Maley

    Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

    September 6, 2012

    The General Motors, PSA alliance has hit a wall. According to German news magazine, Der Spiegel, one part of GM-PSA alliance has been taken out. The part dealt with GM sharing the Insignia platform with Citroën and Peugeot to build their next-generation midsize sedans.That would also allow Citroën and Peugeot vehicles to roll off the line at the Rüsselsheim plant, thus allowing the plant to use up all available capacity.

    Why was this part taken out? Der Spiegel says Buick and GM China complained, stating the deal would cause the vehicles to compete too closely. Managers are also questioning the cooperation between the two companies.

    "It would be premature to assume that anything had been agreed upon before and has now been reversed," the spokesman said to Reuters, adding that discussions were continuing with an emphasis on cooperation in purchasing, logistics and product development.

    Source: Der Spiegel, Reuters

    William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

    0


    Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0


    User Feedback


    This comes across as a pissing match of turf wars and who cares what dynamic benefits and cost savings it can bring to the party, Clearly some people do not want others there.

    Sad that in this day and age, they cannot understand the importance of bringing higher quality products along with lower prices to beat out the competition.

    I do not see much gain from the GM-PSA alliance since it is so watered down.

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites


    Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

    Guest
    You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
    Add a comment...

    ×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

      Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor




  • Popular Stories

  • Similar Content

    • By William Maley
      One of the big questions facing the sale of Opel to PSA Group is what will happen in the future. Opel CEO Karl-Thomas Neumann spilled some of the beans in an interview with German magazine Auto Motor und Sport.
      Neumann will remain the CEO of Opel, but tells the magazine that he will work closely with PSA's CEO Carlos Tavares.
      "It is important for me to stand before employees and show leadership. I have done this in the past and will continue to do so," said Neumann.
      "I think we have great respect for each other. That is why I see a good foundation for continued cooperation," the magazine quoted Neumann as saying.
      Opel will also have its own leadership, and the ability to design and develop its own cars. The only difference is that it will be using platforms from PSA. Neumann says it will take several years for the brand to transition from GM to PSA platforms.
      The main priority is to get Opel profitable once again. This will be accomplished by deepening cooperation with PSA and lowering development costs. Opel is also planning their largest product offensive with 7 new models being launched in the near future. They include a new SUV that will serve as the second flagship model alongside the new Insignia and new electric models. Neumann declined to comment on a report he was planning to make Opel an electric-vehicle only brand.
      Interestingly, Neumann revealed that he was very skeptical about introducing Opel into the Chinese marketplace.
      "This is a complete misunderstanding of the situation. PSA has long since ceased to be sick, but has recovered very strongly and just presented a super result for 2016. And we are clearly on the road to recovery. From a strong and a well-being, two might now become strong."
      Source: Auto Motor und Sport

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      One of the big questions facing the sale of Opel to PSA Group is what will happen in the future. Opel CEO Karl-Thomas Neumann spilled some of the beans in an interview with German magazine Auto Motor und Sport.
      Neumann will remain the CEO of Opel, but tells the magazine that he will work closely with PSA's CEO Carlos Tavares.
      "It is important for me to stand before employees and show leadership. I have done this in the past and will continue to do so," said Neumann.
      "I think we have great respect for each other. That is why I see a good foundation for continued cooperation," the magazine quoted Neumann as saying.
      Opel will also have its own leadership, and the ability to design and develop its own cars. The only difference is that it will be using platforms from PSA. Neumann says it will take several years for the brand to transition from GM to PSA platforms.
      The main priority is to get Opel profitable once again. This will be accomplished by deepening cooperation with PSA and lowering development costs. Opel is also planning their largest product offensive with 7 new models being launched in the near future. They include a new SUV that will serve as the second flagship model alongside the new Insignia and new electric models. Neumann declined to comment on a report he was planning to make Opel an electric-vehicle only brand.
      Interestingly, Neumann revealed that he was very skeptical about introducing Opel into the Chinese marketplace.
      "This is a complete misunderstanding of the situation. PSA has long since ceased to be sick, but has recovered very strongly and just presented a super result for 2016. And we are clearly on the road to recovery. From a strong and a well-being, two might now become strong."
      Source: Auto Motor und Sport
    • By William Maley
      It was nearly two years ago that we learned that General Motors trademarked 'Regal Tourx'. At the time, we speculated this could mean the next-generation Regal would have a wagon variant - possibly something along the lines of the Audi A4 Allroad and Subaru Outback. Since then, we have been hearing rumors and various reports saying that the Regal wagon is coming - the most recent one coming this week. Now we have more evidence thanks to the California Air Resources Board (CARB).
      Motor1 got their hands on an emission certificate listing a number of General Motors vehicles equipped with the 2.0L turbo-four. In this list, we see the Regal, Regal AWD, and Regal Tour X AWD. This list also reveals the Regal will get an eight-speed automatic, while AWD models get either an eight or nine-speed automatic. Sadly, this document doesn't provide any information on power figures. The turbo 2.0L comes has a wide range of outputs from 250 horsepower (Chevrolet Malibu) to 272 horsepower (Chevrolet Camaro).
      We don't have to wait long for answers as Buick will be debuting the Regal on April 4th, a week before New York.
      Source: Motor1

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      It was nearly two years ago that we learned that General Motors trademarked 'Regal Tourx'. At the time, we speculated this could mean the next-generation Regal would have a wagon variant - possibly something along the lines of the Audi A4 Allroad and Subaru Outback. Since then, we have been hearing rumors and various reports saying that the Regal wagon is coming - the most recent one coming this week. Now we have more evidence thanks to the California Air Resources Board (CARB).
      Motor1 got their hands on an emission certificate listing a number of General Motors vehicles equipped with the 2.0L turbo-four. In this list, we see the Regal, Regal AWD, and Regal Tour X AWD. This list also reveals the Regal will get an eight-speed automatic, while AWD models get either an eight or nine-speed automatic. Sadly, this document doesn't provide any information on power figures. The turbo 2.0L comes has a wide range of outputs from 250 horsepower (Chevrolet Malibu) to 272 horsepower (Chevrolet Camaro).
      We don't have to wait long for answers as Buick will be debuting the Regal on April 4th, a week before New York.
      Source: Motor1
    • By William Maley
      At first glance, you might be thinking why is Buick teasing the LaCrosse sedan again. But actually, what you are looking at is the 2018 Buick Enclave that will be debuting next month at the New York Auto Show. The image shows the Enclave following the footsteps of the Encore and LaCrosse with a new waterfall grille and slimmer headlights. From spy shots we reported on last month, we're not expecting any major changes in the overall shape.
      Expect the current 3.6L V6 producing 305 horsepower to be residing under the hood, paired with a nine-speed automatic.
      Source: Buick

      View full article
  • Recent Status Updates

  • Who's Online (See full list)