Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

I prefer the long-bed version, but...

... this one is 99% spot on to what I'm looking for:

http://southjersey.c...3416823982.html

1979 GMC Sierra Classic 15 4WD Short Bed Wideside

I am selling my 1979 GMC 4x4 short bed pick-up Sierra classic. I was planning on restoring this truck but I have too many projects so I've decided to sell it. It was bought brand new at Paul Harris Olds/Pontiac/GMC in Millville and has always been in Millville since new. This is a ONE OWNER truck. It has its original 6.6L 400 small block engine. I just had the transmission rebuilt, put in a new battery and starter in the truck. The truck has 152,000 miles on it. Two tone paint, NO A/C, P/S, P/B, sliding rear window, and chrome step number. Mechanically the truck runs and drives great; however the body has some rust. I was planning on replacing the bed, fixing rocker panels and cab mounts, and restoring it, but again I just don't have the time. I have more into this truck than I'm asking. If you're looking for a restoration project while you drive this is perfect. I also have the original tires and rims that came on the truck when bought brand new. I'm asking $3,700. Call 856-332-2342. Serious calls only.

Here are the pictures from the ad but I had the seller send to me via email:

post-418-0-33284600-1354856110_thumb.jpg

post-418-0-40282100-1354856621_thumb.jpg

post-418-0-85765200-1354856145_thumb.jpg

post-418-0-83526900-1354856146_thumb.jpg

post-418-0-45071200-1354856149_thumb.jpg

post-418-0-39570900-1354856150_thumb.jpg

post-418-0-61134400-1354856151_thumb.jpg

post-418-0-08763900-1354856148_thumb.jpg

I say 99% because it is missing factory A/C. What do you think? Worth the $3,700 asking price?

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Hard to tell - can't see the rust he described in the pics.

The bed isn't original, the fuel filler doors shouldn't be there.

If you look at the pic of the rear passenger side you can see all the rust bubbles over the tire on the bed. Looks like it needs a new bed.

From the looks of it, if you can afford to put in 3-5 grand for replacement seat, carpet, bed, paint, it does appear to be a solid restore project.

1979%20GMC%20Pickups-07.jpg

My initial impression of this truck is... that it sat outside after it was possibly re-done and now rust is ready to burst out all over. The pictures of the driver's side are washed out too much to see any emerging bubbles, but as dfelt says, huge bubbles are visible over the passenger side rear wheelwell.

The only way a New Jersey '79 GMC pickup could be in good shape is if it were Ziebarted or Rusty Jonesed when new and then never driven in winter, had bodywork, or it came from out west and is a transplant.

I love the shortbed bodystyle though!

Hard to tell - can't see the rust he described in the pics.

The bed isn't original, the fuel filler doors shouldn't be there.

No, '79 pickups have a fuel door; it's the earlier models of this generation that have an exposed fuel cap. Here's a picture from the 1979 GMC Pickups brochure for reference:

post-418-0-64146900-1354895709_thumb.jpg

It's from here: http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/GM%20Trucks%20and%20Vans/1979_Trucks_and_Vans/1979%20GMC%20Pickups/1979%20GMC%20Pickups-02.html

I get your point about the visual rust. From what I can see in the larger pictures I posted, the bed seems to have the most visual areas. Look at the driver's rear bedside & lower quarter panel, around the passenger rear tire on the bed, on top of the passenger front fender, and maybe the hood edge? The seller mentioned the rockers in his ad as needing replacement.

1979%20GMC%20Pickups-07.jpg

My initial impression of this truck is... that it sat outside after it was possibly re-done and now rust is ready to burst out all over. The pictures of the driver's side are washed out too much to see any emerging bubbles, but as dfelt says, huge bubbles are visible over the passenger side rear wheelwell.

The only way a New Jersey '79 GMC pickup could be in good shape is if it were Ziebarted or Rusty Jonesed when new and then never driven in winter, had bodywork, or it came from out west and is a transplant.

I love the shortbed bodystyle though!

I agree with your middle paragraph. I've never seen an outdoors-kept pickup truck without rust, especially of this vintage. The guy is about an hour+ away from me, so while I can get out there to see it, it's not a quick drive (I don't want to waste my time looking at something too "needy"). While this would be a restoration project and eventual car show/cruise night vehicle, the A/C option is one I'd like to have (I don't see many Sierra Classics missing this option, so I find it funny this was skipped when originally ordered).

I guess I'm curious about the selling price and the work needed, which is hard to tell based on the pictures. If the truck needs a lot of the sheet metal replaced, than I think $3,700 is way too high. The interior will definitely need a lot of work - the carpeting, seats, door panels and dash pad all look to need replacing/work. I don't mind finding a truck that needs work, but I'm not going to pay way too much to get it and then dump even more cash into making it "right". I may pass on this one...

Here's something that you just don't see, a 1980 Chevy pickup.

http://ipocars.com/imgs/a/b/j/z/e/chevrolet__silverado_4x4_truck_with_approval_1980_2_lgw.jpg

I always thought that they looked a bit odd with the old bodystyle and those rectangular headlights.

I haven't seen one in many years, even though I see plenty both older and newer.

I wonder if 1980 was a bad sales year as I never recall seeing many of these - even in 1980.

I thought that was the case Ocn, thanks for confirming it.

Still 1980 seems to be the odd year out for these trucks - almost never see them on CL with or without rectangular headlights.

I did see somewhere that 1980 truck sales were drastically down from a peak in '78 on the order of 50%

I guess that explains it somewhat.