Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Autoshow in Motion?

pow

I'm disappointed that the ASIM thing is on ice. The cost to run the thing is probably minimal compared to the entire GM marketing budget. I would like to know GM's view on the effectiveness of the program, though if they're suspending it, maybe it hasn't generated the intended results.

Has anybody been to the Vegas thing? It has a half mile track, but how much actual seat time is there? And what kind of speeds are allowed? I'd like to know if it's worth making the trip out there to check it out.

ASIM does a good job showing new, good vehicles like the CTS and GTO when they are introduced, but it also demonstrates how underwhelming GM's family sedans are compared to the competition. The longest lines always seem to be for BMWs and Lexuses. Maybe GM just needs to retool and refocus ASIM, but not completely do away with it. In particular, it would be a good way to make people take a look at Saturn again as the new models are introduced.

ASIM does a good job showing new, good vehicles like the CTS and GTO when they are introduced, but it also demonstrates how underwhelming GM's family sedans are compared to the competition.  The longest lines always seem to be for BMWs and Lexuses.  Maybe GM just needs to retool and refocus ASIM, but not completely do away with it.  In particular, it would be a good way to make people take a look at Saturn again as the new models are introduced.

That's sad but true... the longest lines are for non-GM cars.

ASIM does a good job showing new, good vehicles like the CTS and GTO when they are introduced, but it also demonstrates how underwhelming GM's family sedans are compared to the competition.  The longest lines always seem to be for BMWs and Lexuses.  Maybe GM just needs to retool and refocus ASIM, but not completely do away with it.  In particular, it would be a good way to make people take a look at Saturn again as the new models are introduced.

True. This really was more for people like us than the general car buying public in terms of building goodwill towards GM. Perhaps revamping it and limiting the traveling show to new and/or hot models would be a cheaper, more effective tool. For example, at the event in Tampa, I felt the pickup truck, SUV, and family car setups were pretty sensible. However, the luxury car course didn't make much sense. Bad timing means the brand-new 5er was the most driven car while the new STS was still a year out. There was even a LeSabre there...a LeSabre Custom. With cloth seats. I didn't even understand that. I drove it a few times because I felt bad for it. I even joked with one of the staffers there if I was the youngest one to drive it; she said I was the only one to drive it.

i had the opportunity to attend the one here in Atlanta last year and had a blast. it was one of the few opportunities i'll have to drive a Corvette.

i do agree, vehicles like BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, and the like had longer lines than the GM comparisons (though, the GTO had a pretty good line going...oddly, it was put on the "luxury car" course here)

:duh::duh::duh:

maybe we'll see this there someday

Posted Image