Vehicle: BMW 330i Performance M Package (2005)

Name: BMW 330i Performance M Package (2005)

Date Added: 19 December 2009 - 09:38 AM

Owner: Z-06

Short Description: It is like the child one never wanted to have, but one ends up loving it because of its adorability. The car fell in my hands by accident despite of not "wanting" it. But it changed my perception of BMWs from expensive cars bought by snobs to a thorough track-bred vehicle. I still think it is an overpriced under equipped machine, but when I pull the 45mph curve at 70 mph, I am not complaining.

View Vehicle

BMW has their moment, but heck, my Trailblazer SS can take a 45mph curve doing 100mph and is rock solid. So 70 is meh to me. Course if you get a car for free even the 330i, why not have fun. Glad you could get one and play with it.

Show me a 45 mph curve designed to take a 100 mph and I will never drive again. The centripetal force is almost 5 times the design force. If AASHTO had designed every interstate with that much factor of safety, we would have been bankrupted by Eisenhower.

Heck even with physics - for that curve radius, you are pulling close to 1.5G of lateral forces on that turn going 100 mph. The last time I saw a production car with maximum lateral force was 2015 Z-06 with 1.19G.

It is physics of the road and vehicle not typing (driving) prowess. But then again your Trailblazer SS with 23 inchers is a great handler. :P

• Agree 1

Show me a 45 mph curve designed to take a 100 mph and I will never drive again. The centripetal force is almost 5 times the design force. If AASHTO had designed every interstate with that much factor of safety, we would have been bankrupted by Eisenhower.

Heck even with physics - for that curve radius, you are pulling close to 1.5G of lateral forces on that turn going 100 mph. The last time I saw a production car with maximum lateral force was 2015 Z-06 with 1.19G.

It is physics of the road and vehicle not typing (driving) prowess. But then again your Trailblazer SS with 23 inchers is a great handler. :P

The clover leaf on and off ramps here if built in the 70's. 80's or 90's are really banked but in the last 10 years they have gotten flat and do require the legal speed unless you do have a performance auto. I enjoy driving the old ramps because it does feel like a race course as you buzz around the banked ramp.

It would have been fun to have our interstate highway system built more like the autobahn in Germany. I think we need to expect more out of people driving not less. I am all for having a higher cost to get a license and if you do not really care to drive then take mass transit, taxi's or buy one of the new self driving auto's.