Report on Early Tesla Model S Claims two thirds will need powertrain replacement before 60,000 miles

ocnblu

I'm quite aware that it's often more economical to do an electric motor swap than a component replacement. Been there, done that :P

But again: is this the problem or the symptom? I've heard of issues with door sealing as well, for instance.

I dunno man... that sounds like total car failure to me.... better call Consumer Reports.

I'm just saying. There's a fine distinction between hand-crafted and homemade.

• Agree 1

I'm quite aware that it's often more economical to do an electric motor swap than a component replacement. Been there, done that :P

But again: is this the problem or the symptom? I've heard of issues with door sealing as well, for instance.

I dunno man... that sounds like total car failure to me.... better call Consumer Reports.

and I'm just saying that a single component failure is not a whole system failure..... even if the manufacturer decides to replace the whole system to get you back on the road faster

and I'm just saying that a single component failure is not a whole system failure..... even if the manufacturer decides to replace the whole system to get you back on the road faster

Interesting conversation with a engineer friend who converted his old VW Rabbit to EV from diesel. His warp 9 motor he had bought last year was built with some less than up to par parts, the Florida company who builds and sells the warp motors contacted him and offered to have a local mechanic swap out the motor. He turned them down and said ship it to me, I will do it myself. After getting the replacement motor, it took him all of about 30 min to disconnect the cables, bolts and swap out.

I can see EV auto's being a bit easier to work on than traditional motors. Should be interesting to see how mechanics deal with these moving forward. I will say that the OEMs seem to complicate the install much more than conversions. Hopefully the Bolt will be clean and simple in it's setup.

The thing with an electric motor is that you probably have only two connections: one for your power feed, and one for your motor control unit. There's no fluids to worry about so there's no hoses and clamps, and uncoupling the CV joints isn't too awful. So much easier than an engine.

The thing with an electric motor is that you probably have only two connections: one for your power feed, and one for your motor control unit. There's no fluids to worry about so there's no hoses and clamps, and uncoupling the CV joints isn't too awful. So much easier than an engine.

Both the power electronics and the motor require cooling, which is usually in the form of a circulated liquid.  One weakness of the Tesla drive unit is that the same coolant is used for both the motor and the electronics, which means that if the motor is operated under a high duty cycle, the electronics may be damaged if the output is not reduced.  The Volt uses separate cooling loops since each system has a difference thermal tolerance and inertia.

Both the power electronics and the motor require cooling, which is usually in the form of a circulated liquid.  One weakness of the Tesla drive unit is that the same coolant is used for both the motor and the electronics, which means that if the motor is operated under a high duty cycle, the electronics may be damaged if the output is not reduced.  The Volt uses separate cooling loops since each system has a difference thermal tolerance and inertia.

Warp Motors have been air cooled for a long time and are beefy to handle the power and still stay working.

http://www.go-ev.com/