Monte Carlo:

Perhaps you've seen the 1962 Pontiac Monte Carlo convertible on eBay recently. Thought that was a bit interesting? Try this on for size ... Packard had a Monte Carlo. A friend of mine who owns a 1941 Packard, sent me a page that included the following info...

"Your recent items on the 1948 Station Sedan and Professor Ward's 'The Packard Legacy' (issue 87) seem to lament Packard's failure to keep up with Cadillac and others in styling and more modern engineering. Richard Arbib's original Monte Carlo...indicates that Packard did anticipate (or at least react to) the GM hardtops introduced to the public in January 1949. If Packard was not thinking along these lines, at least Richard Arbib over at Henney was. I wonder if the public ever saw this first Packard hardtop or whether it was strictly a styling exercise? (Chris N, San Gabriel, CA)"

George Hamlin responds: "The original Monte Carlo of 1949 was apparently limited to the sight of people who wandered into Arbib's shops at Henney. It was likely an operative car, but the trim was mocked up with aluminum foil wrapped over wood. Arbib failed to interest Packard in this car -- a rather common occurrence until the 1952 Pan American and afterward. Arbib resurrected the name for two coupe de ville-styled vehicles in 1952, one of which ended up on the cover of 'Cars' magazine, and one of which was found in the Michigan woods a decade or so ago. The latter is currently being restored by America's Packard Museum for celebrations in Warren, Ohio...."

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"How much longer will they be around?" ... Don Williams ... 'Old Coyote Town'

Wow.... very cool. I'd love to see those pics. :)