2023 Honda Accord Hybrid sedan – review based on 6 days of driving

I had never driven any Honda vehicle until this year and, after being assigned a 2022 Accord as my rental car in March, I was again assigned an Accord in May.  However, this time it was a hybrid.  I had never driven any hybrid vehicle until recently, either.

First, all Honda Accord sedan models were refreshed for this model year and the minor changes took this car in the right direction.  The front grille and rear fascia, together with their lights, are simpler, cleaner, and, somehow, pack an even better punch.  It has become a more attractive vehicle.  Inside, things are much the same except that the cloth seating surfaces have also been changed for the better compared to last year.  The only thing I didn’t like is the updated dashboard.  It’s not as pleasing as last year’s largely because I don’t like the diagonal cross hatch or egg crate pattern in the applique running at about the middle of the dashboard and from the driver door to the passenger door.  There is also a bigger(wider) infotainment center than last year.  I prefer that those be integrated into the dashboard rather than stand up, but most of them are not.

As one pulls away, the stance is a placid one and the car is mostly quiet.  That’s because, at low speeds, the electric power is doing the work.  The engine is a 2.0 L 4 cylinder in this version of the Hybrid, and it has 2 electric motors which assist.  The transmission is a CVT (continuously variable) but it behaves well and is hushed, not spooling up too much in rpms unless really pushed.

The engagement of the hybrid motor, or motors, is almost seamless.  It comes into play at low speeds, when maintaining speed or coasting at, say, 35 to 45 mph, and even when the cruise control is engaged on the interstate.  The latter was a little strange at times because it would kick in along with cruise control which seemed to adapt to the driving conditions.  (Maybe I didn’t understand how it worked.) So, in these very rare instances, I tapped the brake pedal to disengage the cruise control and used my foot to drive the car on the interstate.

The Accord Hybrid’s instrument pod is attractive.  It doesn’t take too long to get used to it.  One of the key gauges alongside the speedometer is the extent to which the battery is charged.  There is other useful information, such as drive mode (sport, eco, etc.) and even what song Bluetooth is sending through. The dash graphics and illumination are pleasing and soothing.

With hybrids, the logic is inverted.  Highway driving isn’t its most economical mode.  City driving is, whereby braking and slowing down charge the battery.  Either way, I could tell that the fuel needle was not moving much.  I put about 500 miles on the car over these 6 days, and it consisted of fast moving interstate, clogged up interstate, major surface streets with speeds of about 40 to 45mph, and stop and go city driving.  The mileage obtained was almost 44 mpg, which is what the EPA rating for the car shows.

The leather trimmed steering wheel, with its remote commands, is nicely finished and feels good … and the Accord Hybrid rides along and handles with confidence.  Again, the hybrid set up seems to make things a little quieter, even when the gasoline engine is working.  The ride is controlled and, while smooth, the suspension and steering still communicate the interaction between the tires and the road.

This Accord had a sunroof.  I tried it a few times, with and without air conditioning, but preferred to have it closed and the retractable shade in place beneath it.  In the Sunshine State, I preferred a sealed cabin environment with the quiet and powerful enough air conditioning working, which seemingly didn’t affect fuel economy much, if at all.

Depending on how it is equipped, the MSRP appears to come in the low- to mid-$30K range.  Of course, that doesn’t take into account dealer mark-ups, something that supply chain hiccups and strange supply and demand situations of recent times have created.  People are interested in this car.  In a few instances, a few folks asked me about it as I exited from the vehicle at a few different businesses.

I was surprised that I liked the first Honda Accord (with a gasoline engine) I have ever driven, which was several months ago.  I liked this Accord Hybrid sedan even more, and it wasn’t just its fuel economy, but the level of refinement and build quality seemed to be slightly better than in the 2022 model.  Moreover, it made for a quiet motoring experience, which is something I really appreciate.  The price difference between the gasoline version and the Hybrid isn’t prohibitive, and, for those expecting a longer holding period, it could pencil out and justify itself.  I think that, as someone who has habitually driven domestic cars as daily drivers, I could be quite happy with this latest competent Accord Hybrid sedan.

- - - - -

Photos forthcoming

EXTERIOR PHOTOS

KIMG4257.thumb.JPG.8e1df5fd82bb6d088406264ac49e7f07.JPG

Side view

KIMG4258.thumb.JPG.45b58af32a3a4d17450c652e42db4e12.JPG

Angled front view

KIMG4259-inked.thumb.jpg.b5bcabea4ec32235d44dd51a911dc07a.jpg

Angled rear view

KIMG4353.thumb.JPG.57956f37a649dc445349fc6dd24a6360.JPG

Aerial view (from the room); note the sunroof

KIMG4260.thumb.JPG.5019fc966023c5f108eb823ceaf91e07.JPG

This "entry" price model is a the Sport Hybrid; the top end ($) is anchored by Touring Hybrid and there are 2 hybrid models with price points between these two

INTERIOR PHOTOS

KIMG4063.thumb.JPG.45627470b4a78eeac28323cea8e3793a.JPG

Overall view of dash, center stack, and console from passenger door

KIMG4065.thumb.JPG.febd5de71dca865b796611a6160607d6.JPG

Bucket seat ergonomics (cloth); very comfortable

KIMG4271.thumb.JPG.10f9ffaa6eb6cc78ecf59fe76d4651b1.JPG

Sensible main instrument pod:  the left is not a tachometer, but battery charge status.  This cluster has it all:  digital speed readout (my selection), clock, temperature (ouch), gear selected, driving mode (econ), and odometer.  Songs via Bluetooth would show up above the digital clock readout.

KIMG4386.thumb.JPG.e55112577b5d2e250d044fa862ebbc92.JPG

Easy to use climate control

KIMG4385.thumb.JPG.a36973d4b186a662bf5cf3702a0640f6.JPG

Console to center stack transition; clock shows up again on infotainment center as does the date

KIMG4383.thumb.JPG.3f9d02ebcc6a2f57d440594315200ef9.JPG

Metal accents on the pedals and wheel well footrest

KIMG4384.thumb.JPG.21e0f450bb4a6efd30bae82d5a45bd1f.JPG

This diagonal or diamond pattern is not to my liking and I've not liked it on any automotive application

KIMG4075.thumb.JPG.6bd46df37fe9e26f1bba162be155bfd9.JPG

The car has generous trunk space

MECHANICAL PHOTOS

KIMG4263.thumb.JPG.4722fd2f876d82cab45a1a397e19a5a6.JPG

A full view of the engine bay and this car has a prop rod to keep the hood up; my guess would be that the orange harnesses are a way to easily identify elements critical to the hybrid/electric system

KIMG4269.thumb.JPG.c37f26f99a1e02060f406e3f65a81f96.JPG

In front of the engine and behind the radiator and fan shroud, that appears to possibly be an emission control component - is it an O2 sensor and is that a catalytic converter or related component?  They often have metallic shields like that around them.

KIMG4265.thumb.JPG.a5abea544325b8d487f5a9f2e622b403.JPG

Left side of the engine bay with the pulley area

KIMG4266.thumb.JPG.572028a97d8dbbc87c6b4ef31398d14e.JPG

Right side of the engine bay with air intake and easy to access battery