W Body Keyless Entry

Hey Everybody,

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the same issue as we have.

We have a 2000 Monte Carlo (88K miles). It's been a relentlessly reliable vehicle for the whole family since 1999, requiring no repairs (besides the typical W body ISS lube issue and constantly warped rotors).

But, a really annoying issue has popped up: the factory-installed keyless entry system is being really tempermental.

Rarely, it does work consistently all day. But most days, it works once and then ignores the signal for about 5 minutes. For example, if you open the trunk w/the remote to put groceries in, you'll have to unlock the driver's door manually w/ the key, or wait 5 minutes and try again. AND/OR if you unlock the driver's door w/the remote, you'll have to manually unlock the passenger door.

Doesn't seem to be a range issue, as I am practically touching the car with the remote when it's being tempermental.

This is the same w/both remotes. I have changed the batteries in both remotes, and "re-synched" them to the car following the owners manual directions (both for the remotes and via the stereo menu system). No changes resulted.

Does anyone have any pointers or suggestions? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jason

I had the exact same problem with my 98 lumina. I took it to the dealer. Apparently there is a problem with the ground wire of the remote system, which interacts with the electricals.

He put a bypass wire and added a LED light underneath the steering column (which turns off when you put the key in the fob) and it is working fine since then.

All took me about $51. Let me know if this helps.

I had the exact same problem with my 98 lumina. I took it to the dealer. Apparently there is a problem with the ground wire of the remote system, which interacts with the electricals.

He put a bypass wire and added a LED light underneath the steering column (which turns off when you put the key in the fob) and it is working fine since then.

All took me about $51. Let me know if this helps.

Thanks, smallchevy. If I did end up having to take it to the dealer, I didn't want to go in "blind." Your info helps out alot.

That's interesting you say that... although not a W-body, my mother's car, a 92 LeSabre Limited, has been having intermittent problems for years now... where the remote does the EXACT same thing as you described. It's really frustrating. What will really piss me off is when you can't unlock the doors, but you can open the trunk via remote (even if you hit the door button first). And then minutes later, it works.