• Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

    Ms. Barra Goes To Washington


    • A date has been set


    The US House Energy and Commerce Committee announced late this week that they have scheduled a hearing on the General Motors Ignition Switch recall on April 1st. Testifying in the hearing will be GM CEO Mary Barra and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration head David Friedman. The hearing will look into the timing and response of GM and NHTSA over the problem and recall.

    "We look forward to hearing from both Mary Barra and Administrator Friedman. Their testimony is critical to understanding what the company and NHTSA knew about the safety problems, when they knew it, and what was done about it," said Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Fred Upton (R-MI) and Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee Chairman Tim Murphy (R-PA) in a statement.

    Now the House Energy and Commerce Committee admits that the two people being called to testify didn't know about the problems till they came to their posts.

    Source: US House Energy and Commerce Committee

    Press Release is on Page 2


    GM CEO Mary Barra and Lead Federal Vehicle Safety Official Expected to Testify April 1

    March 20, 2014

    WASHINGTON, DC – Bipartisan House Energy and Commerce Committee leaders today announced that General Motors Company CEO Mary Barra will testify at an Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee hearing on Tuesday, April 1, 2014, at 11:00 a.m. The committee has also invited National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Acting Administrator David Friedman to testify on the same day.

    "We look forward to hearing from both Mary Barra and Administrator Friedman. Their testimony is critical to understanding what the company and NHTSA knew about the safety problems, when they knew it, and what was done about it," said full committee Chairman Fred Upton (R-MI) and Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee Chairman Tim Murphy (R-PA). "The problems originated long before Barra and Friedman took the helms of their respective organizations, but their actions and input now, as our investigation proceeds, will be essential to getting answers about what went wrong. We want to know if this tragedy could have been prevented and what can be done to ensure the loss of life due to safety failures like this don't happen again."

    "I look forward to this hearing so we can find out from GM and NHTSA how this happened and why these dangerous vehicles were not fixed in a timely fashion," said full committee Ranking Member Henry A. Waxman (D-CA) and Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee Ranking Member Diana DeGette (D-CO).

    Additional hearing details, the Majority Memorandum, a witness list, and witness testimony will be available here as they are posted.

    BACKGROUND: The committee has opened a bipartisan investigation into the General Motors Company's (GM) and NHTSA's response to consumer complaints related to stalling, airbag non-deployment, and ignition switch problems. GM announced a recall in February covering over 1.6 million vehicles worldwide to correct the problems, but reports indicate drivers first complained of the safety defects over 10 years ago. The company has stated that the defects may have been linked to 31 frontal crashes and a dozen fatalities. Committee staff has now been briefed by both NHTSA and GM on the recalls, and currently awaits production of the documents and information requested last week.

    0


    Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0


    User Feedback


    Grandstanding.....

    Call Wagoneer/Henderson/Whitacre and LaHood instead... they were the ones at the helm at the time.

    Totally agree with you on this Drew! :yes:

    Washington Politicians :fryingpan:

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites


    Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

    Guest
    You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
    Add a comment...

    ×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

      Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor




  • Popular Stories

  • Similar Content

    • By dfelt
      G. David Felt
      Staff Writer Alternative Energy - www.CheersandGears.com
       
      200 MPH plus EV, Do we care?
       
      Yesterday April 13th 2017, Lucid sent out an email about how their near production test car hit a top speed of 217 mph at the Ohio's Transportation Center banked oval test track. Many of us that follow the industry know that Tesla limits their auto's to 155 mph.  Lucid is on record that they intend to meet the needs of the high-speed cruising market of Europe and Middle east. Simulations can only go so far on a computer and then you have to put rubber to the road. This allows the engineers to monitor and tweak everything from the power train, suspension, body fluidity and so much more. This will allow them to review the data, make adjustments and come back later to push the limit even higher.
      We know that Lucid is planning on a $60,000 dollar 400hp, 240 mile range RWD EV with the top model being a six figure AWD 1,000 HP and 400 miles of range on a super dense battery pack.
      This begs the Question, other than the few places you can push this kind of Speed, Does it matter any more if an auto can go over 100 plus mph?
      This question comes from seeing so many auto's that are now breaking that 6 second 0-60 speed showing they have the torque and hp to maintain the speed needed for daily driving.
      Lucid News 
    • By William Maley
      There are still a lot of unanswered questions concerning the sale of Opel/Vauxhall to PSA Groupe. A fair number deals with Buick as a number of their products (including the new Regal) are intertwined with Opel. GM executives say this will not affect Buick's lineup down the road.
      “The sale of Opel will have no impact on the fresh new lineup Buick is building out,” said Duncan Aldred, GM’s vice president of global Buick and GMC during the launch of the 2018 Regal this week.
      “This is very much part of our portfolio plan,” said Mark Reuss, GM’s executive vice president of global product development, purchasing, and supply chain to Car and Driver. “As we said, Opel and the engineering/production piece of this is very much intact for all of our global platforms. So, you know, no impact.”
      While the deal isn't fully finished yet, Reuss claimed that issues relating to products would be settled before the final transfer takes place. Reuss said he didn't know "of a specific agreement" when asked about if GM would pay PSA Group for engineering work done by Opel. 
      In related news, Automotive News Europe reports that Opel would continue to build Buick vehicles beyond 2019 in its German factories. 
      Source: Automotive News Europe (Subscription Required), Car and Driver

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      There are still a lot of unanswered questions concerning the sale of Opel/Vauxhall to PSA Groupe. A fair number deals with Buick as a number of their products (including the new Regal) are intertwined with Opel. GM executives say this will not affect Buick's lineup down the road.
      “The sale of Opel will have no impact on the fresh new lineup Buick is building out,” said Duncan Aldred, GM’s vice president of global Buick and GMC during the launch of the 2018 Regal this week.
      “This is very much part of our portfolio plan,” said Mark Reuss, GM’s executive vice president of global product development, purchasing, and supply chain to Car and Driver. “As we said, Opel and the engineering/production piece of this is very much intact for all of our global platforms. So, you know, no impact.”
      While the deal isn't fully finished yet, Reuss claimed that issues relating to products would be settled before the final transfer takes place. Reuss said he didn't know "of a specific agreement" when asked about if GM would pay PSA Group for engineering work done by Opel. 
      In related news, Automotive News Europe reports that Opel would continue to build Buick vehicles beyond 2019 in its German factories. 
      Source: Automotive News Europe (Subscription Required), Car and Driver
    • By William Maley
      One of the big questions facing the sale of Opel to PSA Group is what will happen in the future. Opel CEO Karl-Thomas Neumann spilled some of the beans in an interview with German magazine Auto Motor und Sport.
      Neumann will remain the CEO of Opel, but tells the magazine that he will work closely with PSA's CEO Carlos Tavares.
      "It is important for me to stand before employees and show leadership. I have done this in the past and will continue to do so," said Neumann.
      "I think we have great respect for each other. That is why I see a good foundation for continued cooperation," the magazine quoted Neumann as saying.
      Opel will also have its own leadership, and the ability to design and develop its own cars. The only difference is that it will be using platforms from PSA. Neumann says it will take several years for the brand to transition from GM to PSA platforms.
      The main priority is to get Opel profitable once again. This will be accomplished by deepening cooperation with PSA and lowering development costs. Opel is also planning their largest product offensive with 7 new models being launched in the near future. They include a new SUV that will serve as the second flagship model alongside the new Insignia and new electric models. Neumann declined to comment on a report he was planning to make Opel an electric-vehicle only brand.
      Interestingly, Neumann revealed that he was very skeptical about introducing Opel into the Chinese marketplace.
      "This is a complete misunderstanding of the situation. PSA has long since ceased to be sick, but has recovered very strongly and just presented a super result for 2016. And we are clearly on the road to recovery. From a strong and a well-being, two might now become strong."
      Source: Auto Motor und Sport

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      One of the big questions facing the sale of Opel to PSA Group is what will happen in the future. Opel CEO Karl-Thomas Neumann spilled some of the beans in an interview with German magazine Auto Motor und Sport.
      Neumann will remain the CEO of Opel, but tells the magazine that he will work closely with PSA's CEO Carlos Tavares.
      "It is important for me to stand before employees and show leadership. I have done this in the past and will continue to do so," said Neumann.
      "I think we have great respect for each other. That is why I see a good foundation for continued cooperation," the magazine quoted Neumann as saying.
      Opel will also have its own leadership, and the ability to design and develop its own cars. The only difference is that it will be using platforms from PSA. Neumann says it will take several years for the brand to transition from GM to PSA platforms.
      The main priority is to get Opel profitable once again. This will be accomplished by deepening cooperation with PSA and lowering development costs. Opel is also planning their largest product offensive with 7 new models being launched in the near future. They include a new SUV that will serve as the second flagship model alongside the new Insignia and new electric models. Neumann declined to comment on a report he was planning to make Opel an electric-vehicle only brand.
      Interestingly, Neumann revealed that he was very skeptical about introducing Opel into the Chinese marketplace.
      "This is a complete misunderstanding of the situation. PSA has long since ceased to be sick, but has recovered very strongly and just presented a super result for 2016. And we are clearly on the road to recovery. From a strong and a well-being, two might now become strong."
      Source: Auto Motor und Sport
  • Recent Status Updates

  • Who's Online (See full list)